Purple Martin house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple Martin house

Grandson and I started on it... he got bored, so my grand daughter took over. We're considering it "wood shop class".

I think we've found her a new hobby.

It's built in sections so it can be separated for seasonal cleaning. Each layer is sandwiched between the "chimney" (3x3 block) at the top with a 3/8" all thread rod running down to the base.

It's solid as a rock.

We need to add a bit more landing the second floor deck, sanding, paint and shingled roof are next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	25207901

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	25207902

Make sure the holes are the correct size and I forget if purple martins need a step or peg inside for the little ones to get out

It looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
      Make sure the holes are the correct size and I forget if purple martins need a step or peg inside for the little ones to get out

It looks great!
      I actually had to re-cut them after doing some more reading. The first articles, even some plans I had looked at called for 1" holes, so I started 1 1/8". Then looking at them I thought that had to be too small. So did some more research and ended up with 2". Now I'm reading about the joys of keeping the dang squirrels (tree rats) out of them. I already despise red squirrels, guess I have another reason to keep the pellet gun handy

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
        I actually had to re-cut them after doing some more reading. The first articles, even some plans I had looked at called for 1" holes, so I started 1 1/8". Then looking at them I thought that had to be too small. So did some more research and ended up with 2". Now I'm reading about the joys of keeping the dang squirrels (tree rats) out of them. I already despise red squirrels, guess I have another reason to keep the pellet gun handy
        Probably need to it painted and put it up ASAP. The scouts may already be looking for new nesting sites. Keep the pellet gun handy for other birds trying to start a nest.

Post some photos as you go along during the year. They are fun to watch!

Comment

House Sparrows and European Starlings will also need to be shot on site.

Comment

That house looks great. Starlings and English sparrows are the ones who will want to move in on ya. I have 4-6 pair of purple martins in my house already.

Comment

Martins

Originally posted by Old Mathews View Post
              That house looks great. Starlings and English sparrows are the ones who will want to move in on ya. I have 4-6 pair of purple martins in my house already.
              Yep i got 10 or so pairs....Yea watch them SQ they will make holes bigger ...

Comment

Originally posted by Seatruckn View Post
                House Sparrows and European Starlings will also need to be shot on site.
                I have seen Sparrows already nesting for the past couple weeks... hopefullmost have found a spot.

Comment

they will help with mosquitos

Comment

Do you have it up yet?

Comment

Nice! I had martins for many years then 2 years in a row the houses got raided and the martins never came back. They visit but wont use the house.

I sure miss them happy birds...

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                        Do you have it up yet?
                        No, I figured I missed the arrivals, and still need to secure a pole. So I have shelved it until next season.

Comment

I would have love to have seen a step by step.

Comment

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post

X2, if it not going up this season maybe it can be taken apart and put back together with a how to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Firecuss View Post
                              I can do that... I got time lately

I'll try to put something together tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X