Home NAS Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home NAS Help

I want my iPhone photos backed up to home network storage not iCloud. Also want to save Nikon photos and my Gopro videos. Looking at a synology diskstation. What else do I need? What do I need to know? Am I on the right track? Will do two drives at least for redundancy but also want a backup drive to keep in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are definitely on the right track.

Just make sure you get big enough drives....4TB, 10TB, etc. gopro vids will eat up space real quick

definitely get the two bay and set it up as mirror. so if one drive goes down you have a "mirrored" drive.

the nice thing about synology is they have a bunch of apps (some are buggy) but a bunch of producitivity apps that will allow you to connect to it remotely...such as "quickconnect" or "dsfile"

As for backing up the synology...well, not much you can do here. You can't really back it up to "tape".
    you can backup the synology to another synology, or to a USB, or to cloud (dropbox, google drive etc.)

hope this helps or at least gets you started in right direction.

Comment

Thanks... If I get a 4 bay, can one bay be a copy of all the others and I just swap that out weekly or something to that effect? Is a cloud backup better? Looking for fire protection here- If I lose the whole unit I want my photos and videos

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
        Thanks... If I get a 4 bay, can one bay be a copy of all the others and I just swap that out weekly or something to that effect? Is a cloud backup better? Looking for fire protection here- If I lose the whole unit I want my photos and videos
        Yes, you can get swappable drives, but a simple external with dropbox backup might be just a good. I keep files in two separate physical locations in case my house burns down. And with my wife cooking, we are overdue...

edited to say, use solid state drives...
        Last edited by yaqui; 07-10-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Ordered a DS420+ and two Seagate BarraCuda 4TB drives as a starter set. Will pick up a couple solid state drives on Black Friday etc. I wanted to get he setup going and look into backup options. I’ll post my progress here. One day Amazon shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X