Views:	2
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	25217664

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200709-173142_Gallery.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	25217665

figured I'd show off my little portable grill I made for when we go 4 wheeling thru the mountains. Plan on using it when we start doin over nite kayak trips. Fat mans gotta eat, right?
    😎

I used
    1- piece of old expanded metal approx 10x20
    4-3/8×12" bolts
    4- 3/8 nuts
    4- 3/8 wing nuts
    8- 3/8 flat washers

1. Bolt heads act as feet, more surface area, makes it easier to adjust height of grill.
    2. Thread wing nuts onto bolt, wings pointed down, about 1 inch.
    3. Slide on washer to each bolt onto of wing nut.
    4. Fasten bolt to each corner of expanded metal with washer and nut.

Spin wing nuts up or down to adjust desired height of grill. 1 5lb bag of charcoal and some lighter fluid is all u need! (And matches of course!)

Should be good for 2 links of sausage or a couple steaks or 5 or 6 pork chops. When you're dun cookin, you have coals to get your camp fire goin!

Take it apart and fits neatly in a 6 gallon milk crate with the rest of my mini portable kitchen!

Nice. I like that.

Comment

How sturdy is that expanded metal like that? Maybe tack a couple 1"x1" angle iron pieces on the long sides? It would stiffen it up tremendously. I like the simplicity though

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
        How sturdy is that expanded metal like that? Maybe tack a couple 1"x1" angle iron pieces on the long sides? It would stiffen it up tremendously. I like the simplicity though
        I thought about tacking a piece of 1/2" angle long ways, down the middle. Or just move the legs in a little closer together!

Comment

I have a similar set up for kayak camping. I just used the wire rack/grate from a tabletop grill I have and some large tent stakes for legs/supports. The grate is rigid and just sits on top of the stakes. Its small enuf to lay flat in my rear tank well under my crate.. It works well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
            I thought about tacking a piece of 1/2" angle long ways, down the middle. Or just move the legs in a little closer together!
            I think a 1/2" piece down the middle would stiffen it up tremendously. Especially if you through a few steaks on it

Comment

Back in the 70's, my Dad made a portable grill out of a metal Craftsman toolbox.
              It already had a 'shelf' (for a lift-out tray).
              He drilled 4 holes in the bottom and installed bolts/nuts as legs (to hold the hot box off of whatever surface it was on).
              He also used an expanded metal grill.
              The lid closed and latched, so you could just pick it up (even HOT) by the handle and tote it away.
              He used to fill it with charcoal before leaving out of the house and the 'Matchlight' lighter fluid fit neatly on the expanded metal grill under the latched lid.
              A very neat, tidy box with handle !
              I recall it made the best hamburgers ever...
              Brian

Comment

Nice

Comment

Gota agree with hog slayer and skeeter ..a little bit of stiffener will keep it flat ..great portable idea though

Comment

I like the simplicity. I bet it wouldn’t be too difficult to make folding legs out of 1/2’ angle iron. Now you got me thinking...

Comment

That is a great idea. Love the simple design. Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice, but like others have said, id weld a little re-bar, around the edges, on the underside, so it doesn't catch the spatula, when flippin meats.

Comment

1. Your cat is not impressed at all.

2. You could add a bolt in the middle to support it. Or like others have said. Angle. Something. Once the heat gets to it. And weight of the food. It may start to flex.

Comment

I've made almost the same exact thing, except that I welded square tubing on the perimeter of the expanded metal to help hold heavier stuff (coffee pot, multiple big steak & Potatoes, etc..)
                            Also, mine has side walls to prevent the spread of fire when it's windy.
                            The legs are also square tubing with screws welded to the top of them so it can be put together and dis-assembled. I drilled holes into the square tubing frame and legs to put it together and attach the walls, very sturdy and assembles and dis-assembles pretty quick.

Comment

Good idea for a lightweight grill. Might need to make one of these like yours, and maybe add some ideas others have suggested.

Comment

Working...
                              X