Ambassador 5000a NIB 1961 Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambassador 5000a NIB 1961 Value

Going thru my granddads shop. Found this reel in the box. Ambassador 5000a and from what I’m seeing it was made in 1961. Should I let my boy fish it or should it be put up? I’m not a fisherman...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd fish it but that's just me.....I've got 2 that are on catfish rods.

Comment

Awesome!

Post some pics!

Comment

I would put it away.

When I was a kid I got a bunch of fishing tackle from my late Uncle. Most of it was from the 40's and 50's. I wish I still had all those old reels and lures...would be worth a good bit.

Comment

I've got my grandpa's 5000 from the '60s and I fish it but I've been using it for 45 years. New in a box not sure what I would do...

It's pretty cool catching fish on a rig my grandpa used.

Comment

Use it.

Comment

Just FYI.... I have one just like it from my grandma, took it to a shop in Ft. /dallas to get cleaned and tuned, he wouldn’t even take it... said he couldn’t get parts if’n something was needing replaced.

Ima just gonna use it till it quits.

Then try to find a factory authorized service center.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                Going thru my granddads shop. Found this reel in the box. Ambassador 5000a and from what I’m seeing it was made in 1961. Should I let my boy fish it or should it be put up? I’m not a fisherman...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I’d hang onto it and I am a fisherman. I have a mint 5500c from my grandfather I wouldn’t take 5k for.

Comment

I have 7 of them from 1971 and 1972 I still use them easy to work on If you need parts you can get them from Replacement Parts . Com

Comment

Inspire of all the new reels I still use my old red AG 5000 & silver AG 5500’s. They are “‘57 Chevys” in fishing reels.

Comment

Pictures?

Comment

I think a lot depends on how much fishing was a part of your grandpa's life. If fishing was big for him, I would put it away and give it to your son when he is more mature. In saying this, I am assuming your son is young and might not yet recognize the value in preserving something that perhaps was cherished by and belonged to his great granddad. My $ .02
                        Last edited by Pedernal; 06-28-2020, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          I think a lot depends on how much fishing was a part of your grandpa's life. If fishing was big for him, I would put it away and give it to your son when he is more mature. In saying this, I am assuming your son is young and might not yet recognize the value in preserving something that perhaps was cherished by and belonged to his great granddad. My $ .02
                          This^^^^, right on the money!

But if you"re going sell I'll pay $100 to fish with it.

Comment

If it's mint, been stored this whole time, I would leave it be. Either keep it as a treasure or sell it to a collector if all the paperwork/box is good. There is too much new technology out there to help a young angler learn to cast far and efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Yep, this is the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

Comment

Working...
                              X