2020 Mock Scrape Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Talking about Jeff sturrgis. He has 9,456 clients in 74 states and has been using a no plow method by plowing for the past 20+ years.

But I will give him credit for the hanging vertical limb/vine addition. It seems to work even better than a natural low hanging horizontal limb. And don’t break off
    Never heard of him, might check him out

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

That first part of your post hit the nail on the head. That's my least favorite part about ALL of his videos. I feel like he used to use the RTP drill and maybe he lost that sponsor so he doesn't promote it?
      He has a quiet cat now. So it will be crucial to killing a doe. He’s been riding one exclusively for 20+ years

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        Excuse my ignorance on the Licking Branch, but what is the Licking Branch? and what does it have on it?

Scrapes I have had success with. Just didn't realize I was missing out with the Licking Branch Lol
        All natural scrapes will have a limb above them that deer rub different glands on. Their own signature. That’s all it is, a note pad for them to leave a message on. Their hooves have glands as well and leave scent without peeing in them ( that’s how stomping works, it leaves a stop sign on the ground)

I don’t put anything on them. Once a deer uses it the stage is set

Comment

I agree that sometimes the "I've been doing X for 20 years, I go to X amount of client properties a year, I use X tree stands & X clothing, etc." gets a little old, BUT... I've learned a lot more about hunting, habitat, scrapes, etc. from his videos than I have from people who put two or three feeders in a pen, set up a stand 20 yards away, and call it a day. I'm just saying ...

Comment

All natural scrapes will have a limb above them that deer rub different glands on. Their own signature. That’s all it is, a note pad for them to leave a message on. Their hooves have glands as well and leave scent without peeing in them ( that’s how stomping works, it leaves a stop sign on the ground)

I don’t put anything on them. Once a deer uses it the stage is set

I will pay better attention. I knew about the glands. But I guess I never paid attention to the branches above. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Excuse my ignorance on the Licking Branch, but what is the Licking Branch? and what does it have on it?

Scrapes I have had success with. Just didn't realize I was missing out with the Licking Branch Lol
              The deer will deposit Pre-Orbital gland and Nasal gland scent on the licking branch. It is scent recognition from each deer that uses. If a deer, be it buck or doe, will use the licking branch whether they anoint the scrape or not.

Hey man, no ignorance here, just learning. If you have a deer skull, it will have some small pairs of holes, those are where the gland location is at. Forehead, nasal, orbital location. The orbital will have 2 holes, one for teat ducts, one for scent gland.
              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 07-10-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                The deer will deposit Pre-Orbital gland and Nasal gland scent on the licking branch. It is scent recognition from each deer that uses. If a deer, be it buck or doe, will use the licking branch whether they anoint the scrape or not.

Hey man, no ignorance here, just learning. If you have a deer skull, it will have some small pairs of holes, those are where the gland location is at. Forehead, nasal, orbital location. The orbital will have 2 holes, one for teat ducts, one for scent gland.
                I appreciate the info. Never to proud to say I don't know.

Comment

I appreciate the info. Never to proud to say I don't know.
                  That's how you learn

If you really want some good info, watch Dr Grant Woods. He is a wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    That's how you learn

If you really want some good info, watch Dr Grant Woods. He is a wealth of knowledge.
                    Thank you!!! Will do!

Comment

But I will give him credit for the hanging vertical limb/vine addition. It seems to work even better than a natural low hanging horizontal limb. And don’t break off
                      I got a buddy that just hangs a rope and the deer lick, chew & rub all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                        Interested to know what you put in the scrapes to keep them hitting it. We have found scrapes the last couple of years and put buck urine in them and nothing ever came back to them. Bucks walk right past it or through it and pay it no mind.
                        Been my experience in Navarro area as well

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	RCNX0029.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24624133

Latest contribution

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                            Interested to know what you put in the scrapes to keep them hitting it. We have found scrapes the last couple of years and put buck urine in them and nothing ever came back to them. Bucks walk right past it or through it and pay it no mind.
                            Try vanilla, Anise oil.

Comment

Here’s a question for you guys that have experience with cameras over mock scrapes and scrapes in general. I’m hunting public land, and I have one area that produces during the rut where I know does live in the fall, a big thicket area. I’ve found rub lines leading to this thicket and around it, but I haven’t found any scrapes. There’s a good chance I’ve walked past some and didn’t know it but I’m thinking about setting up a mock scrape/camera nearby. What I want to know is would I be better off making a mock scrape between doe bedding and bucks beds/rubs? Or bring the beds in closer to where the does live, maybe down wind of their bedding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                                Here’s a question for you guys that have experience with cameras over mock scrapes and scrapes in general. I’m hunting public land, and I have one area that produces during the rut where I know does live in the fall, a big thicket area. I’ve found rub lines leading to this thicket and around it, but I haven’t found any scrapes. There’s a good chance I’ve walked past some and didn’t know it but I’m thinking about setting up a mock scrape/camera nearby. What I want to know is would I be better off making a mock scrape between doe bedding and bucks beds/rubs? Or bring the beds in closer to where the does live, maybe down wind of their bedding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                This s where a Cell Camera would be the ticket. A scrape downwind of a bucks bedding area does them no good. They usually put scrapes upwind of where they bed for obvious reasons. I would put the MS on the rub line.

Comment

Working...
                                X