Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight didn't go as planned

didn't have a plan so...

Hunting buddy can go hunting tonight. I'm like Sweeet. I thought I was driving, started to lead the truck when he backs into my driveway. I grab my gear, re load my Thermacell hop into his truck and away we go.

We get to where we're hunting i jump out of the truck and ask him if he grabbed his red flashlight. He says no. I reach for mine. D-OH it's at the house on the table
    I next reach for my magazine. D-OH It's in the center console it my truck
    In all of he's got his spare magazine as I forgot mine. He's like yes I do. Reaches for it and goes nope just took it out and see in on the table @ home
    I said ok. Can I steal one round from you. He's like yes!! Walk down to where we're going to stand. Starts raining. We move under the trees. Wind picks up and changes direction AND blows my tripod over. Luckily in had my rifle sound over my shoulder.
    @ 845 feeder spins. Supposed to be 9. I know the clocks fast again.

We continue to check the fat. I decided to scan with my thermal. I see heat under feeder. I get my buddies attention. I told him i think it's a coon, but could be a skunk. He takes a look and motions for me to look. Now there's 5 heat signatures. I'm undecided if they're coons or piglets. I told my buddy to get on his rifle. I'll turn my white flashlight on so he can shoot. He didn't want them to run. I wanted him to door christen his new rifle. I decided to shoot. Line up the Cross hairs, close my eyes take and exhale a breath, relax BANG!! [emoji2959] Open eyes and look. I see them scattering. But the one i was aiming at has solid white heat on the right side. Walk up to the feeder and see blood and drag marks. I point out the tree i think they ran up to my buddy, he's got my flashlight now. Don't see anything. I scan with thermal and find my target. It ran 15ish yards.
    We put SD cards in the cameras and left.

Had fun in sure if all the challenges. It's like life. You can moan and belly ache when faced with setbacks or you solve the issues at hand while still hoping for the best.

My take on tonight. Me and my friend went hunting and had a great time.

She'll come around

Comment

One is better than none and you had a good time! Successful in my book!

Question....why do you shut your eyes when you shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by FowlTrouble View Post
        One is better than none and you had a good time! Successful in my book!

Question....why do you shut your eyes when you shoot?

I shut my eyes, exhale and reopen to check natural point of aim. I put a new Trigger in my rifle I’m still getting used to it. I shot to soon

Comment

Shooting at unconfirmed targets at night?
          Allrighty then

Comment

It never does

Comment

Sounds like my Thursday night and started out again on Friday.

Comment

That's so horrible!

Makes me want to curse..

That you only shot one raccoon out of 5!

Comment

What a great story

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell it again!

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                      Tell it again!

So there I was standing in the rain with my rifle in full on Barney Fife mode.
                      When suddenly out of the woods appears a creature of non mythical proportions and totally expected properties. Oh the horror of what could it be[emoji3]. I looked through the eyepiece of my thermal detection and aiming device to ascertain and ID what ever it could. I waited and watched hoping to see it move. Wait it just walked. It’s not a wabbit. Oh the horror [emoji33] its been there 5 seconds now. Wait it moved again. UH-OH saw a tail... could be a a a skunk[emoji15]. Not a Coyote it’s far to small, long tail rules out piglet. Bushy tail indicates it’s not an Amarillo .
                      Experience, mine, tells me it’s likely not a skunk, they are usually seen further south. I’m going with coon.
                      Hey buddy, I remember that you just said you missed having your thermal imaging and aiming device, here look through this and check out what’s under the feeder. Hey bud since you’re there go ahead and shoot it since we didn’t bring a flashlight for you to use with day scope. Sure I’ll check out the additional 4 hotspots that just came in. Could be piglets or young coons . I’ve seen both feeding at the same time. I’m going to shoot the bog one to get more experience with my new to me thermal aiming device. BANG! Darn it. New triggers exponentially lighter than previous one. Note to self. NO SLACK TO TAKE UP. Big one runs away from us angling to the left. Smaller ones climb a tree, not piglets.
                      Let’s see how this thermal works at finding downed game. I can see a partial hot spot behind that tree. Yep. There it is.

Comment

Wow that was better

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s like the proverbial train wreck....geez!!

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                            Shooting at unconfirmed targets at night?
                            Allrighty then
                            What's the fun in knowing what you shot until you walk up to it? It's like unwrapping gifts on Christmas morning.LOL

Comment

How often should a person “check the fat?”

Comment

Working...
                              X