Question for you Kansas guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you Kansas guys...

I'm just curious how some of you guys would approach this scenario.....This year is the first time my brother and I put in for the Kansas draw. We ended up getting drawn and we're leasing two different properties, 150 acres apiece in SE Kansas. My question is this... would you Kansas guys recommend putting up one big feeder per tract (1,000 + lbrs) and fence it in? Or would you have multiple different feeders for each 150 acre tract? Also, how would you set up each property? (both tracts have cows and are only 400 yards apart.)
    Attached Files

I personally wouldn't set up a feeder, I would just hand corn. this is what seems to work for us in Kansas. if you have time to go up there and scout, I would find good trails and hand corn them when i get there. we generally put a bag or two out near a few stands every few days while we're there. also 2 of my favorite spots on our Kansas farms are on creek crossings. find 90* (or close to it) bends in the creeks, there will normally be a crossing there.

Comment

We use free choice feeders and spinners. Both work great. I recommend running spinning feeders during the times you aren’t around to keep the doe around. For your hunts I would pile it high. Sometimes I dump 500lbs in one pile. This will draw them in.

I would focus on access. If you plan to walk all the way through those properties to get to your stand you might be doing more harm than good. I would give the deer as many acres as possible without intrusion and just hunt the “edges”. Good luck.

What area are you hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
        We use free choice feeders and spinners. Both work great. I recommend running spinning feeders during the times you aren’t around to keep the doe around. For your hunts I would pile it high. Sometimes I dump 500lbs in one pile. This will draw them in.
        The cows would likely ruin the hunt with a high pile of corn

Comment

We use feeders but not much. We also hunt properties without cows. As stated before, hand corn works best. Deer up there dont hit feeders like they do here.
          Hunt the creeks/creek crossings as stated above. Watch entry/exit. Try to scout it before you plan on hunting. Get your stands hung when scouting. Hunt the wind. Dont be afraid to look at any WIHA nearby as well

Comment

Forget the feeders, been hunting up there for 10 years and feeders just don't do it, The other guys are right hand feed and I would add find the best funnel areas and hunt them. One more thing, if your in a area and see a lot of movement on the other side of the field or wherever make the move to there. Rule #1 Hunt the wind.

Comment

*disclaimer I have never hunted Kansas*

I would do 1 feeder per tract just to keep corn out year round and hopefully to keep does in the area.

Comment

I run 1 feeder on 200 acres just to keep the does around, my stands are in a place to see the feeder while I hunt, but around 150 -200 yards away from the feeder. I have been hunting this property for 5 years and learned the way the bucks usually travel and it was not to the feeder. I'm sure every property is a little different.

I hunt 2 stands, one for north wind and one for south. I agree with playing the wind. I could probable use one or two more.
                Last edited by WilliamL; 05-26-2020, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Forget the feeders and the hassle that goes along with them. Spend the time and money, you would be using dealing with the feeders, hanging multiple stands for all possible wind scenarios. Bring corn to throw down and hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just buy two or three hundred pounds and dump it on the ground.

Comment

Keeping one feeder for the does is not a bad idea up there, but like the others have said I wouldn't worry about hunting over it. The bucks up there go for big piles 300lbs or so is great.

Im sure it is not the case with every farmer, but a lot of them will pull their cattle and take to a feed lot by November as well. If that is the case you wouldn't have to worry about them getting to your hand corn.

Best of luck up on the new leases. Kansas gets in the blood!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just assumed that you could set up a free choice feeder, fence it in, and pattern a mature buck coming to it the first full week of season before they transitioned out of their summer pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                          Thanks for the replies. I guess I just assumed that you could set up a free choice feeder, fence it in, and pattern a mature buck coming to it the first full week of season before they transitioned out of their summer pattern.
                          You can! We do both spin feeders and corn piles. Early season I like the spin feeders better. Keeps them less nocturnal in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by JDL View Post
                            You can! We do both spin feeders and corn piles. Early season I like the spin feeders better. Keeps them less nocturnal in my opinion!
                            I figured you could. My concern was how feeder shy the bucks were up there. Where I hunt in East Tx, the only way I'll hunt over a spin feeder is if it's hanging from a tree 20' up. I've had good luck hunting over free choice feeders and even better luck with handcorn. (which we will be handcorning when we're up there hunting). Just didn't know if the bucks would come to a spin feeder or not and would it be better just to have free choice feeder running. (and i agree with you that they would be way more nocturnal with a free choice than spin feeder)

Comment

Sounds like lots of good input. You will have to fence out the cows. Had some friends that hunted a place in Kansas that had mules, guy was going to sell them to the Army for packers in desert warfare. Didn't work out but the mule stories still make me laugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X