Best crawfish I ever ate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best crawfish I ever ate....

Clean water boil is the way to go........

Been boiling crawfish the traditional way for years and years but with all the talk on here lately of the clean water boil, I figured we would give it a shot.

Heated up a big pot of water to about 165 degrees, poured it into the ice chest and added 10 lbs of season, cut up about 14-15 white onions, some garlic cloves, halved about a dozen lemons, couple sticks of butter and poured in 2 large bottles of mustard. Boiled the crawfish in clean water and poured them in the slurry. Had a second pot going for potatoes, corn, sausage, and mushrooms and dumped them in a second ice chest with a similar slurry as the first.

Once everything was done boiling we let it all soak in the ice chests for 20-30 minutes or so before we started eating. Was by far the best crawfish we ever ate.

I was very skeptical about the mustard and the whole process and was hoping I wasnt wasting two sacks of crawfish, but I wont do it any other way from now on. Thanks to all of yall that have discussed this method in previous threads.

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
    Clean water boil is the way to go........

Been boiling crawfish the traditional way for years and years but with all the talk on here lately of the clean water boil, I figured we would give it a shot.

Heated up a big pot of water to about 165 degrees, poured it into the ice chest and added 10 lbs of season, cut up about 14-15 white onions, some garlic cloves, halved about a dozen lemons, couple sticks of butter and poured in 2 large bottles of mustard. Boiled the crawfish in clean water and poured them in the slurry. Had a second pot going for potatoes, corn, sausage, and mushrooms and dumped them in a second ice chest with a similar slurry as the first.

Once everything was done boiling we let it all soak in the ice chests for 20-30 minutes or so before we started eating. Was by far the best crawfish we ever ate.

I was very skeptical about the mustard and the whole process and was hoping I wasnt wasting two sacks of crawfish, but I wont do it any other way from now on. Thanks to all of yall that have discussed this method in previous threads.

Glad to hear another skeptical person tried this first. I’ve been trying to plan a boil around the weather the last two weekend and it keeps getting pushed back.

This will be the first time I’ve tried the clean water boil method. Hope it turns out as good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Were the crawfish still hot after sitting in the ice chest with the seasoned water? Been wanting to try this, but I was afraid they would cool too much.

Are y’all draining the seasoned water from the chest after letting them soak?

Comment

It’s definitely our favorite way to eat them but we won’t be pushing away from any table with crawfish on them, regardless of the method. If you hadn’t tried them before, Brussels sprouts and okra are killer in that slurry. Curious as to what people are paying per pound right now, I haven’t seen them under $4/lb but once this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
          Were the crawfish still hot after sitting in the ice chest with the seasoned water? Been wanting to try this, but I was afraid they would cool too much.
          Slurry is hot going in the cooler, then dump the boiled bugs on top of that...yup, they are plenty hot temp wise, and the longer they soak they get more spicy depending on which seasoning you use.

Comment

Only way to go, try the steamed method one of these days, I think they take on even more of the spice.

Comment

You lost me at mustard.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post

Are y’all draining the seasoned water from the chest after letting them soak?
                Yes, they were still plenty hot. We did not drain the water, just let em soak. They never got soggy. Was amazed at how much the vegetables and sausage soaked up the seasoning. Great flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  You lost me at mustard.
                  Isn't that what comes out of the bugs arse? How can you tell the difference?

Comment

I do not like them cooked this way but to each his or her own.

Comment

You lost me at mustard.
                      Man that was what I was the most worried about but you couldnt even tell we put the mustard in. Not sure what the mustard does, if it even does anything at all, but you couldnt taste it and I will keep using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Isn't that what comes out of the bugs arse? How can you tell the difference?
                        I dont know, but i sure dont need mustard in my crawfish.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                          Man that was what I was the most worried about but you couldnt even tell we put the mustard in. Not sure what the mustard does, if it even does anything at all, but you couldnt taste it and I will keep using it.
                          Then why put it in there?

Cajuns rolling over in their graves right now.

Comment

Then why put it in there?

Cajuns rolling over in their graves right now.
                            Mustard is the adhesive for the spices.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Mustard is the adhesive for the spices.
                              Never heard that. I dont think its needed and putting mustard on crawfish should lower your credit score.

Comment

Working...
                              X