Brown Bear Pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown Bear Pistol

I am going on a do-it-yourself caribou hunt near Kotzebue Sound, Alaska. I understand there is a fair amount of brown bear around that area. Not too many, but enough.

What caliber is the best pistol to take as bear defense?

Bear spray is #1 defense, handgun would be anything .44 mag or larger.

Comment

.375 H&H Magnum lol or a .44 magnum revolver.

Comment

For me....454 Casull or riot 12 pistol grip!

Comment

Glock 20 10mm 15 shots of buffalo bore hard cast.

Comment

Bear spray would be my first choice to be used in conjunction with something short, easy to swing and shoots a 12 gauge slug. .44 magnum Ruger Black hawk with a 3", or 4" barrel would be my second firearm choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JudoLeyba View Post
              Bear spray would be my first choice to be used in conjunction with something short, easy to swing and shoots a 12 gauge slug. .44 magnum Ruger Black hawk with a 3", or 4" barrel would be my second firearm choice.
              Aren't black hawks sa only? Or am i mistaken?

Comment

I been told that a glock 10mm is getting popular as a pack gun. Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in 480 ruger would be my choice

Comment

I would go with bear spray over a pistol especially since your already carrying a rifle.

When up there fishing I carry a marlin 45-70 carbine for defense cause I can shoot that better in tight spaces and just as fast as I can shoot a 44 mag or bigger, but that’s me, I’m not a marksman with a pistol.

Comment

I hunted there in 2008. I took a Marlin Guide gun in 45/70 loaded with Garrett super hardcast 540 grain bullets. My reasons where that I suck at shooting a handgun and if I got an opportunity at a wolf within a hundred yards I'd have a chance at him. Cut the barrel to 16.25 and took an inch off the stock. Ghost ring sites with tritium. I'm not a gun hunter, but that thing was fun to shoot.
                    The hunting sucked as it got into the 80's in late September but was the best fishing trip of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                      Glock 20 10mm 15 shots of buffalo bore hard cast.
                      I've heard that this is a pretty effective round/gun/ammo combination.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        I would go with bear spray over a pistol especially since your already carrying a rifle.

When up there fishing I carry a marlin 45-70 carbine for defense cause I can shoot that better in tight spaces and just as fast as I can shoot a 44 mag or bigger, but that’s me, I’m not a marksman with a pistol.
                        Good info. I will be bow hunting.

Comment

I have a Ruger 480.

Comment

North American arms .22 mag derringer. Cheap light weight and fit in a pocket.

Comment

One thing with the bears, being “bear aware” at all times is the most important and the safest way to go aside from the sidearm or spray. BUT I still wouldn’t go without either because you never know.

Comment

Working...
                              X