AC Froze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Froze

I noticed that the AC was running, but wasn't a lot of air movement. I stepped outside and noticed the line running to the house was frozen as well as the center deal inside the condenser. I have the unit shut off now. We just had the condenser replaced early last summer. What would cause it to freeze up like this?

Low on freon for me........been there done that...

clogged orifice

Comment

Dirty filter?

Comment

I'm getting refrigerant put in as I type. $199 for the first 2lbs and $80 a lb after that. Thats r22

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Low on freon for me........been there done that...

clogged orifice
          This

Comment

Did anyone mention low Freon? Need to turn system off. Your evaporator coil is frozen solid and will need to thaw before the service guy arrives.

Comment

Clogged filter and enough dust got past or around filter to clog coils. It's always the first thing to check . remove filter with AC off and see what it looks like inside. may need a spray coil cleaner and a rag to wipe it all down to remove build up.

Comment

What can you expect to pay per pound on Freon?

Comment

Originally posted by BtheBuck View Post
                  What can you expect to pay per pound on Freon?
                  R-22 is $100 per pound

Comment

Clogged filter is the first check, then dirty coils, then dirty outside unit coils, then call an AC guy.

Comment

Good times! How long does the system need to be off? I shut it down probably 35 minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                        Good times! How long does the system need to be off? I shut it down probably 35 minutes ago.

It will thaw faster if you turn just the fan on without the AC.

Comment

First check is always the filter. If it’s dirty, change it. To thaw it out, shut off the ac but leave the fan on. It’s quicker.
                          Last edited by whiplash; 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Who doesn't check/maintain a filter guys....com' on jeez....

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                              Who doesn't check/maintain a filter guys....com' on jeez....
                              You haven't seen the Facebook page for my neighborhood. Replacing one is rocket science for those people.

Comment

Working...
                              X