Any suggestions, Pigs running deer off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions, Pigs running deer off

Last year, never saw a pig all season. Fast forward to August 16. 2 weeks of nothing but bucks on all cameras. Started getting excited, got my sets hung and ready. Refreshed all spots with hand corn as usual. Last 2 weeks not a deer, only 800 pics of pigs. Any tips on things to do that can help without going out and scaring every deer in the county away for bowseason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Plenty of time before the deer opener. I would eradicate without remorse .........the deer will return!! I HATE HOGS........vermin must die!!!

Comment

Only 1 way
      Attached Files

Comment

yep KAP

Comment

I'm afraid you need a pen.
          Pigs are greedy and all your feed will go to them otherwise.
          I'd do it sooner than later.
          Good luck.

Comment

I'm surprised you have to even ask this question. You have a big job to do if you want to have deer at your feeder. Otherwise your deer lease just got turned into a pig lease.

It's crazy that we have to think this way but that's the way nature works. If you don't kill and/or put the fear into those pigs they will lay around in the bushes next to the feeder and wait for it to throw. The deer know this and will just learn not to go there. And then the pigs, in their infinite wisdom will wait until it gets good and dark before they come out and hoover up all your corn.

Comment

PPP,
              Pens around the feeder with hog panel
              Pressure ..shoot some AR, invite friends group hunts take out as many as you can
              Patience...cameras to pattern, solar lights hunt full moons, traps

Comment

KAP.

-john

Comment

You basically have two choices to get the deer to come back.

1 - put a pen up around your hand corn spot.
                  2 - Go and hunt those pigs and you will probably have to hunt them at night after you kill some during daylight if they are coming during daylight at all.

I have this exact problem with my hand corn spots, I really don't want to spend the time putting pens around them all because I like to move my hand corn spots around during the season and I usually have about 10 spots I hand corn. I usually have a lot of deer hitting them for the first week but then the pigs take over and the deer rarely show after that. Once I kill a couple of pigs off a spot, the pigs back off at least to where they don't come in until late at night and then that gives the deer a chance to feed.

One more thing, if your deer hunting and pigs come in, shoot them because no deer is going to come in with pigs there and I've had deer come in almost every time after shooting a pig.

As was said above, if you have thick enough cover around your spot, the pigs will bed close and they will keep the deer off the corn even if they don't come to it during daylight, the deer know they are there and probably wont come in.
                  Last edited by gonehuntin68; 09-14-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Shoot them. Or pen your area. Or both

Comment

Listen to gone hunting. He is spot on

Comment

We like to hunt pigs, so we left one panel high enough for them to get under while still keeping cows out. However now we are getting nothing but pig pics so we are going to drop the panel back down until deer season is over.

Comment

What I figured. I know what needs to be done. I don't have any spin feeders up. I have a Moultrie trough type feeder and a 4" pvc pipe feeder. I am thinking just a couple nights of Killin and quit handcorning until morning of hunt. Just wishing someone had the magic solution as I hate to see the deer disappear like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X