No announcement yet.

Weddings? Who pays????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know. Traditionally the grooms parents dont care anything about an elaborate wedding so they are not going to want to pay for much. Also, The groom usually doesnt have much say in what happens and what is spent. So that is why the bride and her family paid for most of the wedding since they are the ones that care about the details and venue. Most guys would marry their woman anywhere with anyone watching. Backyard BBQ in jeans and button up. Basically the bride has all the say because its her "dream" wedding and the grooms parents dont feel they should pay an excess of hard earned money for one event that most people wont remember much about. The grooms parents should say we are going to contribute "X" amount and thats all we can do.

Comment

My daughter got married in January. Our family paid for the entire wedding. My son-n-law's family paid for nothing. Each situation is different but traditionally the bride's family pays for the wedding. This is still practiced the majority of the time from what I see. If the bride's family has financial difficulty doing this, and the groom's family has the money and offers, then there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
        I paid for everything on mine. Wedding, ring, her dress, rehearsal dinner, reception, and the **** honeymoon! She hasn’t stopped freeloading ever since lol.
        This is good! lol

Comment

splitting it seems fair (all of it), but I am not a fan of expensive weddings and keeping up w the Jones. I would only split it, if the cost is what I consider reasonable. If they are going all out on the wedding, I would decline

Comment

My daughter was just married in June....I paid for everything to a tune of $30,000 and the grooms family paid for the rehearsal dinner...$750

They never even offered to help with anything

Comment

I don’t see why parents have to pay for their kids weddings, especially if it’s going to be crazy expensive. I guess if you have the money then go ahead. My brother had a crazy wedding, they regret it till this day. When you have a big wedding you can’t enjoy it. They had them running around taking pictures doing this doing that. A big wedding I think is for everyone else to enjoy. I would use the money for a down payment on a house or a nice savings. That being sad back to your question I would make a budget you feel comfortable with and stick to it. If they don’t like it tough crap.

Comment

It all comes down to the mothers of the bride and groom. Weddings are mostly for the women folk and money isn't on their mind. I have two daughters, one got married in the Bahamas so I paid for their trip and wedding package plus three more for 7 days and the grooms mother paid for extra pictures. It is my understanding is a Hispanic wedding the groom pays for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
                  I dont know. Traditionally the grooms parents dont care anything about an elaborate wedding so they are not going to want to pay for much. Also, The groom usually doesnt have much say in what happens and what is spent. So that is why the bride and her family paid for most of the wedding since they are the ones that care about the details and venue. Most guys would marry their woman anywhere with anyone watching. Backyard BBQ in jeans and button up. Basically the bride has all the say because its her "dream" wedding and the grooms parents dont feel they should pay an excess of hard earned money for one event that most people wont remember much about. The grooms parents should say we are going to contribute "X" amount and thats all we can do.
                  Quite a bit of truth to this..Maybe it depends on disposable income or lack there of..
                  Me personally? I'd take take out a loan,if I had to.At least offer to split it up.That's just how I'm wired.One thing I ain't ever gonna be called is a cheap M***********r.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

If they’re planning such an extravagant wedding that they need addition financing that could be a real problem. This crap can get waaaay out of hand fast. I’d keep peace in the family but they need to know there is a budget and they need to stay within it. These brides moms I think at times try to make up for what they “didn’t have” when they got married.
                    Last edited by sharkhunter; 09-30-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                      JP with both sets of parents there. Use the money that would have been spent on the wedding for a down payment on a house to live in.

This. Weddings are only for the bride, no one else will remember in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post

I think this is your best solution. You set your budget now or you’re going to get taken for a hefty sum my friend! I think we can all see it coming.

Them pressuring you is bs really. But that’s just me I have a pet peeve of people guilting me into paying for stuff.
                        Last edited by sharkhunter; 09-30-2019, 06:31 AM.

Comment

My wife and I got married in 2014. Her parents paid for the wedding, and mine paid for the rehearsal dinner. We were quite blessed that her parents are extremely conservative and old fashioned, and that she is an only child.

Comment

In today's day and age, I think splitting is the norm unless one set of parents are loaded. I have seen a few weddings where the groom's parents paid for everything and both of those were extravagant over the top weddings. We have some good friends that paid for their daughter's wedding last October and they were all in for $35K at a venue near Winnie with only 150 invitations. Granted, she was an only child.

I think there needs to be a discussion and a budget set, her parents might even welcome that notion. However, I would only contribute what I could and nothing more. I would also table the idea of the "funds for a house" concept as well.

I saw some pictures of a recent wedding of a friend's daughter, (he has 3) and I know they went in deep and without any help (ie, groom's family or grandparents), I don't know how they could afford the extravagance. There were 12 bridesmaids and 12 groomsmen and the reception was a huge party with open bar and food.

Comment

Daughter married in March. Her and her husband paid for the venue. That’s what they wanted to do. We covered everything else except the rehearsal dinner. When my wife and daughter were planning everything, I just told them to keep me in the loop. My daughter was very reasonable about things. I told her dad is paying cash for everything so let’s be mindful of that. No way, no how would I ever finance a wedding

Comment

We paid for our own wedding 32 years ago. When my son got engaged, he asked me if there was any way possible that we could help out. We had started saving for this day so we wouldn't get caught off guard, but he didn't know that. My son is an ag business consultant so they had it down to the penny. It wasn't forced upon us but we wanted them have a great honeymoon. It was out of state so her parents did all the planning. Her parents invited us to their home for Thanksgiving months before the wedding. We saw how much they loved and respected our son and that meant a lot to us. So we didn't do it begrudgingly. It was beautiful and everyone that came from Texas had a great time. The reception was great and I introduced a few of the new family members to Rebecca Creek. And Good Lord willing, she will be the mother of our grandchildren one day.
                                Last edited by lunatic'hunter; 09-30-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X