Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathews

Comment

Does the Ranch have goats with Lamas donkeys or piraneese dogs? Or cattle , or horses? All can will and kill a fox if needed too

Comment

.204 ruger

Comment

Coyote-bobcat-mountain lion-parvo-distemper (several strains)-rabies-should I go on. Wild critters don't die of old age, that being said it is unusual to find 2 like that so be aware, maybe even ask around to see if other landowners have noticed anything so you can be aware of any disease outbreaks. Are you in the anthrax zone down that way?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Does the Ranch have goats with Lamas donkeys or piraneese dogs? Or cattle , or horses? All can will and kill a fox if needed too
            No sir, the only "livestock" I have are my WT deer and exotics (axis, BB and a few Sika bulls).

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
            Coyote-bobcat-mountain lion-parvo-distemper (several strains)-rabies-should I go on. Wild critters don't die of old age, that being said it is unusual to find 2 like that so be aware, maybe even ask around to see if other landowners have noticed anything so you can be aware of any disease outbreaks. Are you in the anthrax zone down that way?
            That's the reason why I am asking here, to get others' opinions. My neighbors do not manage their properties as intensively as I do for various reasons but mainly because they are either much larger than ours or are working cattle ranches first and hunting ranches secondarily.
            I do not believe that the anthrax zone extends up to northern Kimble county. If it does I have never heard of it but I will say that fear crossed our minds.

Thank you for the thoughts and opinions,
            Tim

Comment

Parvo, Distemper, etc

Comment

Foxes are tiny. Almost anything can kill them.

Owls would be my guess, but they'd be almost entirely consumed if that's what did it. My mom had 14 barn cats killed by an owl in less than a month and she found almost no trace of any of them.

If there's a bobcat with kittens nearby, she wouldn't tolerate foxes either.
                Last edited by BitBackShot; 06-04-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Distemper, Bobcat, Yote, other Foxes fighting for turf, snake, doe protecting fawn, old age. Lots of stuff

Comment

Rabies outbreak would be my first guess.

Comment

How in the world can there be zero coyotes anywhere in Texas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                        Rabies will kill them also
                        Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Rabies outbreak would be my first guess.
                        OP, you got raccoons out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Long ago I had a big lease out near Ozona. It was pretty creep sitting out by the campfire at night and NOT hearing any coyotes singing, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

I've hunted just west of Eldorado for 4 years now and have zero pics of one and never heard any. I hear them almost every night at my home in east Texas. It was unbelievable to me that there were no coyotes. We don't have any hogs either.

Comment

In sheep & goat country, most of the ranchers have a sort of "coyote co-op. They operate very similarly to a volunteer fire department. Because coyotes can cause so much damage so quickly, they are basically eradicated ASAP. When the call goes out that there has been a goat or sheep lost to predators, the predator usually doesn't last too long afterwards. I've been hunting in southern Menard county for quite a few years. We never heard any coyotes until about 3 years ago. One of our guys actually called one up this past deer season. It was a pretty big deal !

Comment

This time of year I would guess a dominant fox or a bobcat

Comment

Working...
                                X