Best crawfish I ever ate....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
    So you have to get one batch of water "up to temp" and dump in a cooler and add seasoning, then fill the pot up again with fresh water and get it up to temp and boil in fresh water then dump into the cooler then another pot for the corn, taters and other stuff...

One pot? Yeah, only one pot required but 2-3 different batches of water.

I'll stick with the tried and true coonazz method

Nothing wrong with the tried and true coonazz method. It will eat

Comment

We do something very similar. Best I ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
        Ok so if cooking more than 1 sack you dump the water and refill the pot for each sack?
        no, I pull the crawfish out and as soon as the water boils again, which is only a minute or two, I drop another batch in, that's why you can turn batches out quicker this way.

1 pot / multiple coolers.

Also you can reuse the slurry, if you pull out soaking crawfish after 20 or 30 min. depending on desired spice level.

I have enough water to make 3 or 4 slurry batches from my boiler (I've only ever needed 2) and then reheat new water for boiling.
        FYI the slurry water will stay hot in a cooler for hours.
        I have one of the Academy double burners and it has a drain valve that works great for filling the coolers with hot water.
        Last edited by Dugie; 04-01-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Key word "faster" not better.

That's one reason many festivals or large boils suck.

They reuse the dirty water, don't pull out the dead ones, overcook, don't let them soak, dust the outside of them.
          Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            Yuuuup

Mustard is distilled vinegar with dry powder seasonings (tumeric, paprika, garlic powder, mustard seed) added. Vinegar has acids which tenderize meat. Lemon juice also has acid and will tenderize meat in the same way. If I'm already adding lemons (juice) and garlic to the slurry or boiling water, IMO there's no need to add mustard.

FYI - A1 steak sauce and Worcestershire Sauce are also made from vinegar with seasoning spices. Won't be long before someone claims their boiled crawfish were the best ever, and they seasoned the water with A1 or WS.

I'm eventually gonna experiment and boil via the steam method. I plan to follow Frog Bone's recipe suggestions yet will improvise using my own crawfish boil seasoning.
            Cant wait to hear the results

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              I will add this info as I too went from boiling to steaming. I have gleaned a few things that I think can improve whatever method you are using. My biggest issue was the cost of the boil/soak itself if you are buying straight off the shelf at the grocery store.

First off is getting the ingredients a bit cheaper. I have found you can get a huge tub of minced garlic, 48 ounces for $4, you can also pick up a a 2 pack of Lemon juice bottles, 96 ounces for less than $6 and this will last you 2-3 boils. Pending what seasoning you buy, you can get that there too for less than $4 per bag or tub. I know that saves me some $$ on each cook.

Regarding your vegetables, I think that the puree will benefit those that boil. It's all about surface area and getting them to a liquid state enhances flavor. I will usually cut up, puree and store my onion, celery, garlic the night before and store it in either a pitcher or big pickle or mayo jar so it's ready to go when I am ready.

Some folks like adding more citrus, I will get the Sunny D when it's on sale for $2 per gallon. I have never tried frozen but I would guess it would work the same.

I will say this, I almost always omit the red pepper they use as I am typically feeding some kids in my cooks. I am only looking for good flavor with some spice. If someone tells me their mouth is on fire, then I messed up. I love spicy food but I just don't like to be limited on what I can eat due to my mouth and lips burning. To each his own though. I am looking for a great flavor, not super heat.

I have been using Louisiana Fish Fry Products yellow bag most all the time. I think that the Zatarains is more salty. I know they now offer a Regular, Extra Spicy and a Pro Boil. Some say the Pro Boil is more flavorful but I think it's all marketing, lol. I do use the Zatarains liquid in my mix though. I just think their powders are too salty.
              I know you don't like the spice but I also puree 6-8 large jalapenos with the onions and celery.

Comment

So you have to get one batch of water "up to temp" and dump in a cooler and add seasoning, then fill the pot up again with fresh water and get it up to temp and boil in fresh water then dump into the cooler then another pot for the corn, taters and other stuff...

Clint, IMO this method works best for when you have to cook for a larger group. We cook 3-5 bags of bugs (120-150#) on our annual boil and make 2 different slurry "batches" or coolers. The first is more a traditional boil pot with the seasonings and all the veggies, tators, corn, sausage, etc. The 2nd batch is just hot water with the spices, butter, lemons, mustard (more for the acidic purposes and easier peeling IMO) etc. We then boil each batch of bugs in only 2-3” of water in the pot which actually comes to boil pretty quick. Add the hot bugs into 1 cooler and start them on a 30 minute soak. While they are soaking boil another pot and then add them to the 2nd cooler. Before long the first batch is ready to serve....then just repeat the process using the same slurry coolers.
                Last edited by RascalArms; 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

If you are steaming you are only putting 2 inches of water in the pot, don't take long with a good burner.

Comment

I know iam going to sound like a yankee, because I am one ( I guess). I’ve never eaten crawfish this way. I have a couple questions. How many does each person normally eat ? Do you ever make smaller amounts, like for one or two people ? If so could someone brake down the “ recipe “. How much water, dry seasoning ( blazing rage, or what ever is recommended) onion, zaterans, lemon, cayenne pepper ( we do like hot) etc. ? Last question does every one suck the heads or no.? I really want to try them but they are not avalible here. I can how ever catch some in the lakes around here, but need to know how many it normally takes. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                      Truer words never typed! You think the bugs are clean after multiple rinse and dumps prior to cooking.
                      But this is what the water looks like after boiling in CLEAN water! Just think of all the dirt we’ve eaten over the years with the old method.
                      Folks can argue tradition all they want, but there is no situation where the above pic is gonna be better on your food than off.

Comment

That's the difference between coonazz crawdads and yuppy gourmet crayfish cooking

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                          Clint, IMO this method works best for when you have to cook for a larger group. We cook 3-5 bags of bugs (120-150#) on our annual boil and make 2 different slurry "batches" or coolers. The first is more a traditional boil pot with the seasonings and all the veggies, tators, corn, sausage, etc. The 2nd batch is just hot water with the spices, butter, lemons, mustard (more for the acidic purposes and easier peeling IMO) etc. We then boil each batch of bugs in only 2-3” of water in the pot which actually comes to boil pretty quick. Add the hot bugs into 1 cooler and start them on a 30 minute soak. While they are soaking boil another pot and then add them to the 2nd cooler. Before long the first batch is ready to serve....then just repeat the process using the same slurry coolers.
                          Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                          If you are steaming you are only putting 2 inches of water in the pot, don't take long with a good burner.
                          The OP referred to "boiling" them in a pot, not steaming them and boiling them is what I've been referring to.

Went to a boil once 20+ years ago, they boiled them in clean water, dumped them in a cooler and then shook the dry seasoning over them, closed the lid and shook the cooler around for the seasoning to coat the bugs. I looked around thinking "is this some kind of joke". Then they said "come get it". I tried 4-5 bugs and they were horrible. Tasteless was an understatement.

And yes, the meat can absorb the seasoning if they're allowed to "soak", whether it's the method I've always used or the clean water "slurry" method.

The way I've always done it: Bring seasoning, liquid crab boil, taters, to a boil, add lemons, butter, mushrooms, onions, garlic and bugs, boil for 5 minutes, shut off the fire and let them soak for 15-20 minutes.

And save the mustard for the hotdogs...

Comment

Can you steam them the same way in a crawfish cooker like you get at academy. I have done it before in my 150 qt stainless pot but got a cooker for a gift. Do u just put 2” of water in the bottom of the cooker the same way.

Comment

Here we go 🤦🏻*♂️

Comment

How you cook your crawfish doesn't matter one bit if they aren't free range and naturally fed to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X