Draw lengh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw lengh.

length. I can draw my bow to 28 pretty easy. Current bow is 52 at 28. It takes alot of of me to draw it to 29? I need 50 pounds to legally hunt brown bears/grizzly here. How important is that extra inch of draw length?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by thebomb6_99 View Post
    length. I can draw my bow to 28 pretty easy. Current bow is 52 at 28. It takes alot of of me to draw it to 29? I need 50 pounds to legally hunt brown bears/grizzly here. How important is that extra inch of draw length?

Why would you want to since you are already at 52@28? And for forms sake, i wouldn't try to draw further than you are comfortable, there are a lot of bows out there for cheap. I would get any needed extra poundage with limbs, not drawing too far for your form

Comment

Better form means better shooting. And that extra inch will mess your form and natural knock point which will make you shoot a lot more inconsistent. Shot placement is more of a key in killing then anything in my opinion! I would stick with the 28” and work your way up to pulling just a couple more pounds !

Comment

Tim, let me come shoot that bear for you! [emoji6]

Comment

I can draw a bow to 28" as well but my DL is less at my chosen anchor point. That's what you're gonna need to determine first, what your DL is at your anchor point. Then you can determine what your bow DW is at ththat DL.

Gary

Comment

Yea maybe im reading this wrong, but you don't want to just change your draw length to gain performance. There is a correct draw length for each person.

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
              Yea maybe im reading this wrong, but you don't want to just change your draw length to gain performance. There is a correct draw length for each person.
              I do not know where my correct draw length is go be honest. I thinking since I can get back to 29 it might be it? My draw length with a compound is 30

Comment

I just want to draw to the same spot everytime

Comment

Just clip a clothes pin to your arrow right in front of your rest (on the other side from your hand) and draw your trad bow to your anchor point and let down. Measure from the throat of your nock to the clothes pin. Do that a few times to see what you get. That should give you a pretty good average of what your DL will be. As you progress and your form settles in your draw length will stabilize with it.

Gary

Comment

The elephant in the room, and the question yet to be asked:

Where is / describe your current anchor point?

Rick

Comment

Then you need to establish a solid and repeatable anchor point. Mine in my middle finger tip in the corner of my mouth and the knuckle of my thumb against my ear.

Comment

Borrow a light bow and draw it to a comfortable anchor. Shoot a few arrows and try some different anchor points. When you find one that works that is probably a pretty good anchor point. Then measure. If your current bow is too much weight to draw comfortably to the same anchor point as the light bow, then you are overbowed and need to change bows or limbs to get the weight where you can be consistent. I can pull a 60 pound bow, but I can't shoot a 60 pound bow.

Comment

Just having a bow listed at 52 lbs should mean you are legal. IMO.

Comment

It also sounds like your bow stacks past 28". Depending upon the bow length/brand, the limbs might bottom out at 28" and feel like you hit a wall with your drawing hand. Try a longer bow and see if the same feel happens at 29"

Comment

I believe Rick and DRT are on the same page. You HAVE to figure out your anchor spot, where it's comfortable and not overdrawing or over stretching anything. Once you can comfortably find that position, then go through the steps DRT mentioned. You will get a lot better idea of your actual draw length, but it most likely will not be overnight.
                              My compound is 27.5" and I anchor about the same place for it as well as my longbow. Since this is a solid repeatable situation my draw length is the same.
                              Some people do not like to same anchor from a compound (especially if you use a release with a longer stem) to a traditional style bow.
                              I am in total agreement, if you over draw yourself your accuracy will be trash. Lower poundage and solid form will make for better shooting.

Comment

Working...
                              X