Fire formed brass in a different rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire formed brass in a different rifle?

I am pretty new to reloading and have a question. I had a Savage 300wm that I wanted to work up a load for. I loaded a bunch of once fired brass with 208 Amax’s over H1000 after neck sizing only. Then I sold that rifle without shooting my reloads. I bought a Remington 700 milspec 5r 300wm that I want to work up the same load for. I chambered one of the reloads that were fireformed in the savage and they chambered and extracted easily.

Can I go shoot these in the Remington for load testing? Any concerns?

Shoot them. Then they are fire formed for the new rifle and can be neck sized for the next loading. You may have to slightly bump the shoulder after 2 or 3 loadings.

Comment

If they will chamber, shoot 'em.

Comment

I would advise against neck sizing because it is not as consistent as FL sizing. You can adjust to barely bump the shoulder and not work brass any more than sizing neck only. If your ammo fits, shoot it.

Comment

send it

Comment

choot 'em.

(stop selling your guns)

Comment

good to go SEND'EM

Comment

shouldn't be a problem to fire them

Comment

Remington chambers have plenty of room. As long as they chamber and extract easily they will be fine.

They may not be as accurate as they have potential but they will fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

As long as you full-length size you should be fine.

Comment

Unless you were seating to book OAL you best check to make sure you aren’t jamming into lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                        Can I go shoot these in the Remington for load testing? Any concerns?
                        yep and nope, in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                          I would advise against neck sizing because it is not as consistent as FL sizing.
                          Which is why competition bench rest shooters neck size? Those guys hate consistency.
                          j/k
                          Not sure what you’re getting at here, but another thing to consider is that if he is neck sizing his FL die is probably a body die and won’t touch the neck, so it’s probably not a either/or thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X