No announcement yet.

Brown Bear Pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4" model 29 with a 300 grain WFN running about 1300 fps, the reason I say this is because it is about the most recoil you can pull down out of quickly. You can shoot a lighter load for practice and fire 100 rounds comfortably. When the time comes to hunt sight in with the heavy loads. I don't care what you shoot if you aren't comfortable and 100 confident in your gun you might as well throw it at the bear. A 45 Colt or 454 casull is also a good choice all 3 have cheap and low recoil ammo available. I had a 10 mm and shot 220 grain hardcast for several years and there is no way I would carry that in grizzly country because I could never get dependable penetration on pigs.

Comment

460 Weatherby pistol

Comment

I shot one 4 times with a 375 HH Ultra and he still tried to eat us

Comment

Just my 2cents a 41mag or a 460 4” Barrel

Comment

From your post of a DIY hunt, I assume you will be flying in. On a fly out, weight is absolutely critical. It has been on my fly out hunts. That is why I decided to go with a Taurus Tracker Stainless in .44 Mag. It has a 4 in barrel and is a five shot. It is not a large frame revolver but is still very manageble to shoot despite its smaller size. When I came back from my last north slope hunt, I was determined to get a Glock 10mm because of the higher firepower. So I sold the .44 on this site. Getting ready to go back in 2019. Have re thought the side arm issue for bears and have once again decided to go with the Tracker .44 Mag. I just bought another one and feel like an idiot for selling my first one. If a brownie or grizz charges you in the bush, you may have time for one or possibly two shots before it is on top of you. Getting off a rain of 10mm shots with a semi auto is fantasy in my opinion. Those buggers can really move! I have witness both inland grizz and coastal browns and the last thing I want to do is tangle with any of them. This is just my personal opinion. On my last trip, we ran into a man and his wife that lived along a river roughly 100 miles north of the arctic circle. They lived in a cabin on one of the few dry benches on that river and had lived there for over 20 years. (Spent all but two winters in Homer though) When they ventured out each of them carried only bear spray. In their opinion, the bear spray was the best option. They know the reality much better than I do but I just feel a bit safer with the .44. Good luck on your hunt. It will be a blast. If this is your first hunt there, I can just about assure you it will not be your last. Those hunts are habit forming. Let us know how the hunt turns out.

Comment

The .44 with CCI shot rounds is a heck of a rattlesnake round at the deer lease as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                I shot one 4 times with a 375 HH Ultra and he still tried to eat us
                Whats a.375 HH Ultra? Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 308 Dave View Post
                  I am going on a do-it-yourself caribou hunt near Kotzebue Sound, Alaska. I understand there is a fair amount of brown bear around that area. Not too many, but enough.

What caliber is the best pistol to take as bear defense?
                  Edit saw that you are bowhunting. Grizzlies are serious critters. I wouldn't even consider bowhunting without rifle backup in that remote of a wilderness. A mauling that would mean two days in the hospital in Montana could be fatal in Alaska. I think it is reckless to the point of foolhardiness to hunt Alaska without rifle backup. I have been 4 separate occasions and killed both species of bears, I am speaking from experience.

A wheeled cannon will not help if you don't shoot it well. I would lean towards a 10mm. I have a .44 I bought for the purpose but considering switching to 10mm myself.
                  Last edited by BuckSmasher; 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Two things to consider, some pilots won’t let bear spray in thier planes, some have exterior storage some don’t.

As far has pistol caliber, if you cant quickly get to you pistol it’s pointless to even have it. 44mag with an 8” barrel is cumbersome to draw. At self defense ranges I’d pick a caliber you can draw quick, operate and shoot accurately in high stress situations. Bullet build means more then head stamp.

I like chest holsters but they impede ability to also wear a bino harnesses. Also remember if you attach a pistol to your hip belt or shoulder strap, as soon as you take your pack off you are gun less.

If for some reason you decide to go another direction and put the pistol on your pack hip belts, make sure the holster extends well past muzzle and is closed off.

If you sit down with out a holster with muzzle protection you will most likely clog the barrel

Good luck, sounds like my kind of trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Whats a.375 HH Ultra? Never heard of it.
                      375 Remington ultra mag, it was a light weight rifle without muzzle break, no fun at all to shoot.

Comment

Always 10mm for me.

Comment

I carry bear spray and a glock 20

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                            I understand but under adrenaline you might miss 5 times then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get off 5 shots and they all miss, you're bear food

Comment

Last edited by thebomb6_99; 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I would recommend any pistol with the sites filed off......so when that bear shoves it up your #$$ it hurts less lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X