HS Sports Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Sports Rant

My son plays baseball for a big 6A school and the talent is pretty amazing, and me and him know that he's not the best kid on the team by far. He is a senior and we knew going into his senior year he would be playing behind another senior that is a great athlete. But from how it looks now he somehow got bumped to 3rd string during the first couple of scrimmages and honestly me or him can't understand why. What I hate as a parent is to see my son get deflated and lose his love for the game due to politics and other things, if he wanted to stop playing on his own terms because he is burnt out that is one thing and that's fine but for a coach to make a kid feel like that is disappointing. I asked him if he would talk to the coach to see what he can do to improve or get more playing time but he thinks it won't help. He has already said he won't quit because he doesn't think that is right and also loves hanging out with his buddies on the team, and I support him 100 percent and in front of him I always try to be positive and encouraging but he can see what's going on and it's just frustrating.

It appears 2 kids are better than him? Do they have cuts? What are the politics? Can he change positions and get more playing time?

Comment

I felt like killing(well not actually, but I did have some bad thoughts) my son's HS basketball coach.

He hurt is back in Jr year. Couldn't practice. Coach told him if he couldn't practice he might as well go home.
      Senior year he was healed up but coach told him because he quit the year before, he couldn't play that year.
      Basketball was his first love. It killed him...and me.

These kids have got a couple of years to build memories and be a part of a team and di**weed coaches have to be hardnosed about it. It still pains me today.

I certainly feel yours and his pain. Hope he hangs tough and gets a little playing time.

Comment

My son plays football for a big 6A team and I've seen similar situations to your son. He needs to have a conversation with the coach. Maybe there is something small he needs to work on that's easily correctable. I've also seen coaches realize that it was something they missed and they correct it.

It may not get him more playing time but it's a life lesson on how to handle situations and stand up for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          It appears 2 kids are better than him? Do they have cuts? What are the politics? Can he change positions and get more playing time?

Is you son faster, play better D, have a higher batting average than these two guys?

Has your son put in extra time after practice and on weekends to try to win the starting position?

Or maybe your son realizes he's not getting a scholarship and wants to parade lap his senior year and kick back?

Could be alot of things going on here.

Comment

See this is part of the problem we face today as a culture....When I was a kid if I had gotten bumped the advise from my parent would have been as follows...."If it is important to you then you need to work harder and earn that spot back. Work so hard and practice so well that the coach has to move you back up the line"...............Life is hard. Kids need to learn to work for what they really want. They also have to learn that some people are just more talented then they are.

-john

Comment

Have him go talk to the coach... may help, or it may not, but learning how to correctly deal with adversity is a life skill that MANY kids miss these days. I'm a coach and this is what I try and get through to all my students/athletes. If you have an issue with me as a coach/teacher, come to me and let's talk about it first. Sometimes there are easy solutions and sometimes they need to hear the hard truth to hopefully motivate them to do better

Comment

Last edited by oktx; 09-16-2021, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Lifes lesson, there is always someone better, but your son has to learn to approach the problem head on.
                  1. Have a conversation with the coach and ask what he needs to work on or what he is lacking in the coaches eye.
                  2. Take that conversation and work on fixing what the coach sees as the problem. Take extra batting practice, take more grounders, conditioning, spend more time in the weight room.
                  3. Dad you can help by supporting him, get him help from private coaching.

Sports mirrors life and it's a great teacher for when these kids enter the world as young adults. It teaches them to work ethic, how to get along with others, competition etc...
                  In the end whether it's politics or others are just better it has to be fun for your son. He only gets this time in his life once. Relax and enjoy.

Comment

Tell him to focus on being a good teammate! Practice hard and stay prepared in case he gets a shot. Most of all enjoy senior season with his buddies! It’s still Fall…lots of things can change before Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                      See this is part of the problem we face today as a culture....When I was a kid if I had gotten bumped the advise from my parent would have been as follows...."If it is important to you then you need to work harder and earn that spot back. Work so hard and practice so well that the coach has to move you back up the line"...............Life is hard. Kids need to learn to work for what they really want. They also have to learn that some people are just more talented then they are.

-john
                      AMEN!

I see it daily. It is not the kids, but the parents

Comment

Gotta love that big city living huh

Comment

When I was in high school football I got bumped from starter to 2nd string. Honestly it wasn't a surprise. I wasn't built for the position they had me in and with how bad the team overall was, I didn't care to put in any extra effort. My mom emails the coach one day asking why I'm not playing. That was embarrassing as all get out, don't do that. If he wants it, he has to work for it, but the end of the day it's a ball game, he should enjoy it.

Comment

Sometimes it bothers the parents more than it does the kid.

Comment

His senior year is a bad time to start thinking about doing the extra little things. A starter on a good team during their senior year should be someone the coach can go to and be able to count on. If you know he is better than who he got bumped for, then talk to the coach and see what’s on his mind. He may want to get that other kid some experience because he will be around for a couple more years. If that’s the case you have to see where that coach is coming from. Big schools stay good because they prepare their younger classes to fill the shoes left by the older guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X