Best way to sell a used truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dealership finally told me my new Tacoma will start being built soon. I should have it in a couple months. He told me used truck prices are stupid high.

Two years ago Toyota offered me $17.5k for my 2013 Tacoma Texas Edition 4x4.
    It now has 88k miles on it and CarMax offer is $22k

Can one semi-easily get much more than $22k if selling themselves to an individual? Or is it safer/easier/maybe best to just sell to CarMax?

I don’t think it gets much easier to sell a vehicle than doing so with Carmax. I got 12% more for a vehicle I sold in December going the private route, if every penny counts then the extra work may be needed. If I still had a loan in the vehicle I probably it would have gone the Carmax route since it simplifies things rather than dealing with a private buyer and financing, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      The dealership finally told me my new Tacoma will start being built soon. I should have it in a couple months. He told me used truck prices are stupid high.

Can one semi-easily get much more than $22k if selling themselves to an individual? Or is it safer/easier/maybe best to just sell to CarMax?
      I sold a vehicle recently and price-checked Carvana, Vroom (Texas Direct Auto) and GivemetheVIN. Vroom beat the other two by about $3,000. I also checked a local dealer and they were lower than Vroom.

Comment

That is a very sought after truck with lower miles. Have you reached out to dealership to see what they would offer, it might be higher than you think with little to no inventory?

Comment

Trading it in gets you a sales tax credit on your new truck. Whether thats a good deal vs selling it elsewhere will take a little pencil work.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Trading it in gets you a sales tax credit on your new truck. Whether thats a good deal vs selling it elsewhere will take a little pencil work.
            Yes SIR. Isn't Sales TAX on Auto's 6.25%?

Comment

List in newspaper, Facebook Marketplace, etc. and sell retail, or slightly less, to an individual. You will ALWAYS get more than a dealer will offer, because they buy wholesale, mark it up and sell retail.

Easy peasy!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Good point. That's like $1,200+

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                List in newspaper, Facebook Marketplace, etc. and sell retail, or slightly less, to an individual. You will ALWAYS get more than a dealer will offer, because they buy wholesale, mark it up and sell retail.

Easy peasy!
                So no issues or concerns with money transaction of $25k? Not a zillion tire kickers and low ballers? I have never sold a truck to an individual before so I have no idea.

BTW - replying to another post. The deal said CarMax almost always gives more that they do.. But I'll let them price it for me again.

Comment

So no issues or concerns with money transaction of $25k? Not a zillion tire kickers and low ballers? I have never sold a truck to an individual before so I have no idea.

BTW - replying to another post. The deal said CarMax almost always gives more that they do.. But I'll let them price it for me again.

It’s no big deal and you will get way more on a private sale, plenty more than than you would save in the tax by trading. Just go online and google how to sale a truck in texas (private sale)
                  There are two forms and if you have a clean title you are good to go.
                  You will have to deal with tire kickers depending on how you manage the transaction but there is a major market for used vehicles right now so you should have plenty of takers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve listed and sold several trucks myself on auto trader. If your truck is in good shape and clean I would list it myself. I’ve bought two trucks (one being a taco) from the original owner and always felt good about the purchase knowing what maintenance had/hadn’t been done over the years.

Comment

The market is hot right now! I just got 6500 for a 07 chevy crew cab 2wd with 270k miles. faded paint, oil pan and rear main oil leaks. had over 135 messages in about 12 hours from Facebook Market place.

i would have been happy with 5k

Comment

Looks like Trade in is 23 to 27K and sell outright to a TBHer is 25 to 28k

Comment

More people buy used vehicles with cash than you think. I have sold three vehicles in the last 7 years, all over $20K and all the transactions were met at my bank and we cleared the check. New buyer left with the truck.

Comment

I would jump all over any idiot that would pay that for a Tacoma

Comment

I have sold all of my used vehicles to individuals, one on TBH from whom I felt comfortable taking a check. Anybody else will need cash or a cashiers check, and I would confirm with the bank that it is legitimate. Easy peasy.

Comment

Working...
                              X