Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tree stand Full-body harness VS rock climbing harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree stand Full-body harness VS rock climbing harness?

Hey Y’all!
    I am new to tree stand hunting and I just finished out the season in a tree stand that I got for Christmas. I’ll start by saying I love hunting from the tree tops and will continue from now on as often as I can. However, I really dislike the full body harness that came with the stand but from my research that’s what everyone says. So, I plan on getting a lighter less clunky one but I also don’t like the full body factor. I did a lot of rock climbing as a kid and was thinking “why can’t I use a rock climbing harness for this and it will be lighter, less straps to deal with, and adding and removing layers won’t be as much of an issue”. Again, doing more research I have read that many people have had my same thoughts and made the change to a rock climbing harness with some modifications for safety. What is the point of the full body harness when I have experienced plenty of mobility dangling from a rope in a RC harness? What is the green screens take on it all?

If your just getting started anyway and have rock climbing experience I would suggest you look into saddle hunting. You can buy a tree saddle for $150 bucks and a platform for a couple hundred. Then you just have to figure out the way that fits you beat for getting in the tree. But you would have to do that with a tree stand also so it’s a wash. I feel much more secure in my saddle than I ever did in a harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a RCH with my DIY saddle.

Comment

I use the X1 Bowhunter harness made by hunter safety systems. No complaints about it. Easy to get in and out of and relatively comfortable. It’s a body harness tho. If you really don’t like the body harness then you may have better luck diaper swinging, like the others have suggested. (Saddle hunting)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've made the switch to saddle hunting - sold all of my loc-on treestands (i'll still keep the summit viper for all day sits). Make the switch to the saddle (as Matt calls it "diaper" hunting ) - if you're looking for some saddles look into Treehopper Recon Sling, H2 Saddles, TX5.

I wouldn't want to fall out of any platform - if I had to choose I'd go with a full body harness with a shock cord (most after market harnesses have it and aren't that bulky) - I've worked for a public utility where classes on climbing safety was mandatory - there was a reason why we were made to wear full body harnesses and not something like a RCH. I understand the want to go as light or less bulky as possible - but I think hunters tend to overlook the bad effects of short static falls on a tether with little to no tension on the line prior to the fall.

In RCH your tree tether connection will be your belay loop - you'll have your tether wrapped around have of your waist - a potential fall would be rough in a full body but especially in a RCH with no shock cord and no tension on the treestrap/tether prior to fall. Either way you choose -best of luck to you and be safe!

Comment

Romulan is right. A fall from any height can be a life changing event. Broken bones, fractured joints, paralysis, death. So whatever you do: get it right.

Full body is the only way to go. A D-ring up top between your shoulders, short as lanyard as you can get by with, and some sort of deceleratiion device. If your rock climbing harness has all that, the great!

Another thing to remember: You have to have some way to get to the ground after a fall. Just hanging there can kill you, too. After 10-minutes suspended, blood pools in the legs and when "released" can kill you.

There are many models to choose from and the ones that come with the stand are usually not the best. Spend the $$, get the best, and be safe.

Comment

for the record you don't have to worry about killing yourself from hanging in a harness for 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                for the record you don't have to worry about killing yourself from hanging in a harness for 10 minutes.
                A stunningly ignorant statement.

The issue is orthostatic intolerance, but is well known to those of us that wear full body harnesses for a living as "Suspension Trauma". It can be fatal. I has been fatal.

OSHA addresses this concern in 29CFR 1926.502. We train on this topic at work. You can look up the CFR or follow this redicoulsly long link and read about it yourself:

https://www.safeworldhse.com/2020/06/safety-toolbox-talk-suspension-trauma-orthostatic-intolerance.html#:~:text=Leg%20straps%20of%20body% 20harness%20squeeze%20the%20blood,as%20Harness%20H ang%20Syndrome%20%28HHS%29%2C%20or%20orthostatic%2 0intolerance.

Here is a quote from the link to save you the time: "Prolong suspension in harness and in orthostatic intolerance, victim can cause fatality, damage of vital body organs or paralysis."

If this is not enough for you, you could also read the Tree Stand Manufacturers Assocation's safety guideline pdf from their website, at this link where the issue is discussed at the bottom of page 1: https://www.standsafety.com/assets/common/pdf/tsg_en.pdf

The view is better from the trees, but much safer on the ground.
                Last edited by SJP51; 02-04-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I wonder how I survived doing multi pitch climbs my entire life hanging in harnesses for longer than 10 minutes. incredible! dare I say stunningly!

Comment

also remember when I went sky diving they said, we don't want to pull the parachute too soon and glide around for too long because we might die from our legs. very concerned about that.

Comment

Use the full body harness that was designed to protect the hunter.My friend slipped out of the stand a couple years ago and impaled himself on a smaller tree below the stand.He had no harness and is still recovering.It was nasty.

Comment

SJP51 & Oldfart - hit the nail on the head - 100% correct. In a RCH when weight is applied either at a lean or sitting position. In a full body safety harness if you fall you'll be held in a vertical position - majority of your weight is distributed on the inner portion of the leg straps. The benefit of the full body harness is that if you slip or fall out the shock of it is distributed using the 4 points of contact. Also, if you dive head first (fall asleep) your body position will be corrected during the fall.

@fakeworest - it's a free country - "you do you" ...since you brought up climbing here's a link that speaks to short static falls and their dangers...

https://rockandice.com/climb-safe/cl...-static-falls/

I highly recommend the treestand wingman - I've have one and it's been very reassuring to have something that will lower me down in case of a fall...I also use it as a secondary safety measure with my treesaddle - I use the linesman belt as a secondary bridge and attach the wingman (also use it as my pullup rope). I'd don't mind carrying addition ounces of weight for a secondary safety system...especially when I'm deep in the woods alone. Call me overly cautious but I'd like to be able to walk around and bowhunt from trees for a long time. Good luck and be safe

--PS--I think there's a sale on Summit Sport harness on amazon (I have one and it's great)

Comment

I'm beating a dead horse now...but I think it's important to hammer this point.

Since skydiving was brought up - the average time riding down while the parachute is open is roughly 5 minutes (I know there are a lot of other factors that come into play here). 5 minuets is definitely within the range as the article below states (p. 7 talks about parachutes). Just don't spend greater than 10 minutes hanging in any safety harness without a mechanism to relieve the stress on the pressure points - this is part of the reason why it's so important for us hunters...where usually in areas where help will be delayed due to terrain and distance.

http://itrsonline.org/wordpress/wp-c...ement-2016.pdf

Comment

Hanging belays suck. These techniques from multi-pitch masters will make any hanging belay at least a little less miserable.

"It’s a necessary evil of multi-pitch climbing"

“I like to alternate between feet against the wall, knees against the wall, and turning so that my hip is against the wall. They’re all uncomfortable"

unless the tree does not have a trunk...
                            Last edited by fakeworest; 02-08-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                              There are several factors that come into play on this.
                              But, hanging from your dorsal, while being incapacitated or overweight can lead to some nasty conditions.
                              Suspension trauma straps are cheap and can be added to just about any harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X