No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure hope it's cooler for me in December! At least you're seeing something! I understand that is considered success out there.

Comment

Got onto the unit at 6am to a slight drizzle. Right after 6:30 a huge deer walked directly in front of the blind but it was so dark I couldn’t make out the sex and couldn’t even find it in my scope. Less than 10 later it was a little brighter and thought I’d punch a doe tag at 80 yards. Didn’t go twenty but I it ended up being this little guy. Meat in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

I had a nice, but young, 6-point pass through unit 13 around 7:40am today. Nothing else though. My guess is he was two years and might not have had the needed width.

Comment

Fortunately Burnet doesn’t have an inside spread restriction!

Comment

Congrats! Can't wait!!!

Comment

Anyone have success today?

Comment

Not here. I was being too selective to be successful with the only legal deer being a doe with two yearlings and what I thought was the same doe again but turned out to be different I believe. Was in a pasture over from my blind. All the bucks I saw were too young, the largest never looked straight on with me to judge width but by body size I think he was likely too young still.

Other than that, just the game warden showing up to my surprise to check my license in my stand mid day. Heard the gate but didn’t think much of it due to wind. Never saw him or his truck approach as I was just farting around on my phone to pass time until the evening.

Next up, SHNF and then the Chap hunt in Mid December.

Comment

I absolutely hate when they do that crap. You on a paid hunt and should be given the space and respect to enjoy the weekend you paid for. He should wait at the gate until you leave.
                  Originally posted by bdubb View Post
                  Other than that, just the game warden showing up to my surprise to check my license in my stand mid day. Heard the gate but didn’t think much of it due to wind. Never saw him or his truck approach as I was just farting around on my phone to pass time until the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                    Got onto the unit at 6am to a slight drizzle. Right after 6:30 a huge deer walked directly in front of the blind but it was so dark I couldn’t make out the sex and couldn’t even find it in my scope. Less than 10 later it was a little brighter and thought I’d punch a doe tag at 80 yards. Didn’t go twenty but I it ended up being this little guy. Meat in the freezer.

Thanks for the write up on Unit 15. I am slated to be there Dec 11-13. Are there any spots to sit under brush and have to use the blind, or his the blind the best vantage point?

Comment

Crickets on Saturday sunset hunt. Went to a friends place on lake travis that night and slept through Sunday mornings hunt.

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                      Thanks for the write up on Unit 15. I am slated to be there Dec 11-13. Are there any spots to sit under brush and have to use the blind, or his the blind the best vantage point?
                      So if you want to hunt the hilltop I would hunt from the blind. 2 reasons. First is concern for others safety and your own liability. You are literally on a mini mountain peak with several miles of visibility in every direction and surrounded by homes and a couple neighborhoods in the valleys and neighboring hills. Making an eye level or down angle shot with a rifle at the summit from sitting or standing presents a safety issue. Second is more obvious in that it's a quality raised blind in the middle of a outcrop and you can hunt multiple angles at much greater distances (maybe 300 yards to the far end of the field).

That being said from the blind you can roughly see the yellow area with the red being obstructed by trees and I feel like somewhere down there may be where they bed during the day.

Another legitimate option would be to hunt the blue area which is like a mini valley from the side of the hill directly to the left of the parking area. At the lower part there you are looking directly at two neighboring private homes with feeders and blinds though so I have no idea if deer like to hang out there.

Regardless it's the prettiest view from a blind I have ever hunted in Texas so 100% you should be able to relax and have a good time.

One thing that drove me a little crazy is the blind has two low rolling swivel chairs in it that don't lock in the upright position so anytime you wanted back support and leaned into the back rest it rocks back lowering your line of sight to where you can't see out the blind. Might want to huff your own chair in if that would bother you.

I'd also make sure you have a higher clearance vehicle.
                      Last edited by fakeworest; 11-16-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

And the picture mentioned from the previous post

Comment

Blind pics

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                            Blind pics

Solid info! Can't thank you enough. I drive a 2019 Ram Lonestar. It is 4x4 but not a high clearance truck.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                              Solid info! Can't thank you enough. I drive a 2019 Ram Lonestar. It is 4x4 but not a high clearance truck.
                              No worries. That should be fine.

Comment

Well guys, I didn't make this hunt. I tagged out at my buddies lease over in Mason county and was headed home by Wednesday. Hope you all had a fun hunt at Balcones!

Comment

Working...
                                X