Tallow tree help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tallow tree help

My neighbors give me no help in cleaning fence lines around our 5 acres. I’m looking for something that will kill the tallows and yaupon, etc. DEAD! I’m too old to keep trimming them back every year or so. Something I could make a cut with a machete and spray on to kill it would be ideal plus buying without a applicators license . TIA

Maybe diesel and remedy like the use for mesquite

Comment

Remedy or generic equivalent mixed 80% diesel to 20% remedy can be used hack and squirt on trees 4” or larger diameter and is very effective.

I use a cane knife to chop into the tree 1/2” deep or so, you must girdle around the entire tree. Then, immediately squirt the mixture into the cuts, until wet.

The smaller ones I just cutoff about 18-24” high and immediately squirt the stump.

You can also cut down larger ones with a chainsaw and immediately spray the top of the stump until wet.

Comment

I have killed some tallows. Here is what I could to work....
        As already posted, Diesal and remedy. Remedy is not cheap, but I found you could get away with a greater Diesel ratio on smaller tallows. On wrist size tallows, I do not cut. I simply spray all around tree from ground to a foot up. Sometimes they’re in a thick area and you can’t reach around to get to the back of the tree and I found that if you give them a good coat on the at least half of the trunk it will kill the small ones.

Coffee can size should be coated all around or they will “die” and come back. Beyond coffee can size, it’s time to get the cordless drill out and drill holes and fill with Diesal/remedy.

Remedy can be purchased at TSC. Like I said, I try to cut the remedy as much as possible. I am in process of killing several acres of these horrible trees.

Finally, on sprouts or very small trees, lightly spray the leaves. They will die within a few hours even with a 80/20 Diesal/remedy mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
          Remedy or generic equivalent mixed 80% diesel to 20% remedy can be used hack and squirt on trees 4” or larger diameter and is very effective.

I use a cane knife to chop into the tree 1/2” deep or so, you must girdle around the entire tree. Then, immediately squirt the mixture into the cuts, until wet.

The smaller ones I just cutoff about 18-24” high and immediately squirt the stump.

You can also cut down larger ones with a chainsaw and immediately spray the top of the stump until wet.

Good advice on cutting down and immediately hit stump. Does not take much poison in this case. However, it seems stumps will be there forever. Spraying on the trunk kills tree and the tree rots at the base and roots/stump just magically disappear.

Comment

If you can get a hook up and get some Garlon it will turn your fence row into a desert. No chopping required. Gotta be careful though. It will kill a 3ft diameter oak tree with just a little though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The advice I was given was to get a small coke bottle and fill it 3/4 full with straight round up then cut a limb off that’s about the same size as the bottle being used, pull limb down so u don’t spill then slide bottle opening over limb until tight let limb go and let tree soak in liquid... dead!!!

Comment

Garlon4 and Remedy are essentially equivalent. Both work well cut with water or diesel for fencerow work. Don’t use around wetlands. If you’re working in/around wetlands, use Garlon3a, Trycera or Vastlan at 50% in water.

Tordon RTU is another option. Comes in a quart bottle with a squirt cap. Definitely don’t use it near anything desirable. It’s a mix of picloram and 2,4-D. Both require a license when purchased in anything larger than a quart bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTailHunter View Post
                  The advice I was given was to get a small coke bottle and fill it 3/4 full with straight round up then cut a limb off that’s about the same size as the bottle being used, pull limb down so u don’t spill then slide bottle opening over limb until tight let limb go and let tree soak in liquid... dead!!!
                  I could not find enough coke bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                    Garlon4 and Remedy are essentially equivalent. Both work well cut with water or diesel for fencerow work. Don’t use around wetlands. If you’re working in/around wetlands, use Garlon3a, Trycera or Vastlan at 50% in water.

Tordon RTU is another option. Comes in a quart bottle with a squirt cap. Definitely don’t use it near anything desirable. It’s a mix of picloram and 2,4-D. Both require a license when purchased in anything larger than a quart bottle.
                    What are the dangers of squirting a few trees on the bank of a farm pond using Diesal/remedy. Assuming you are careful and only get tree trunk and no overspray in mud or water?? Last thing I ever want to do is screw up a pond and I do have some tallows at waters edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      What are the dangers of squirting a few trees on the bank of a farm pond using Diesal/remedy. Assuming you are careful and only get tree trunk and no overspray in mud or water?? Last thing I ever want to do is screw up a pond and I do have some tallows at waters edge.
                      My understanding is the ester formulations of triclopyr (Remedy, Garlon4) are not water soluble and contain oil surfactants/penetrants that can persist in water much longer than the aquatic-rated salt formulations (Garlon3a, Trycera, Vastlan). Probably not a huge deal treating a few trees near a pond, but I definitely wouldn’t allow runoff or overspray to contact saturated soil near the bank. And diesel is definitely not something that should be used real close to water.

Comment

Tractor supply has that stuff that kills for up to a year. In my experience make a cut and brush it on wound. It will die and keep spreading in the roots for months and smoke the tallows. I actually drilled holes downward and filled holes with that stuff. 6 weeks, trees were dead.

Comment

Just looked it up RM43. They will never come back.

Comment

Ice cream rock salt

Comment

John Paul, Do you use that RM43 straight or do you mix it with water or diesel?
                              If so what ratio?

Comment

Working...
                              X