Surfside Beach Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfside Beach Fishing

Looking at renting a house in a couple weeks at Surfside. Is there any convenient fishing where my boy could wet a hook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    Looking at renting a house in a couple weeks at Surfside. Is there any convenient fishing where my boy could wet a hook?

Hey, brother, I hope you are doing well. I'm glad you're taking your boy fishing. My wife and I love surf fishing when the surf is right, no overhead waves. When the surf is up, you could always take him to the jetties. Good fishing there too. Drop me a note and I could meet up with you.

Comment

Straight off the beach. The closer up towards the pass the fishing will get better. He can throw fish bites and catch fish all day standing on the sand.

Throw gulp, shrimp, mullet, etc. If you want a shot at catching some bigger fish.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
        Straight off the beach. The closer up towards the pass the fishing will get better. He can throw fish bites and catch fish all day standing on the sand.

Throw gulp, shrimp, mullet, etc. If you want a shot at catching some bigger fish.

What type of equipment would we need? We are bass/catfish guys.

Comment

Bass tackle works for most surf fish.... until you get into a shark etc. But those are not real common. Toward the east/ SLP area the better fishing. Jetties can be good but crowded @ times.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            What type of equipment would we need? We are bass/catfish guys.

That will work. I use 2500 spinning reels on 7'and 7'6" M and ML rods with 20# braid. Have caught all the way up to 40 plus lb big uglys no issue.

Only thing that will really cause more is if you hook a big jack or monster red or shark, may get spooled, may not in that instance.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
              Bass tackle works for most surf fish.... until you get into a shark etc. But those are not real common. Toward the east/ SLP area the better fishing. Jetties can be good but crowded @ times.
              The surf is full of sharks right now.. Some big bull sharks are being caught daily.. 5-6 footers..

Your tackle selection will depend on what fish you want to target.. Catfishing gear will work for most surf dwellers.

Comment

You might want to bring your chainsaw with you to clear a spot to fish
                Attached Files
                Last edited by .243 WSSM; 06-12-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post

Yes, we are down right now and it’s pretty bad. We are staying right at the city limits line on the east side and it looks a lot like your picture. However the county side has been cleaned up (except for the sargassum).

Comment

When was this? I stayed at Bluewater RV park last weekend and didn’t see anything that resembled this.

Comment

All that Brazos River run off piled up on the beach.

OP, Surfside is a great option because of the jetties if the surf is too rough. But even if rough, as Flex posted, you can catch whiting on the Berkley Powerbait products and they are some of the best eating fish in the Gulf.

If fishing the jetties, get a 5 gallon bucket and an aerator and get a pint or quart of live shrimp. Fish them on a small treble under a popping cork, or free line along the jetty and you will catch fish, sheepshead, trout, maybe a redfish and lots of other "trash" fish, but they will pull.

The rod/reels you have will work, just give them a good cleaning when you get home, obviously try and keep them out of the water, but if they get dunked it's not the end of them, happens all the time, just open them up and clean them that night.

Look at the Father's Day thread started by Sackett, there is a tropical system brewing, so wait a couple weeks, let that pass and the surf settle before you come down.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                        When was this? I stayed at Bluewater RV park last weekend and didn’t see anything that resembled this.

Yesterday. Bad flooding on the brazos

Comment

Yesterday. Bad flooding on the brazos

Wow! That’s crazy

Comment

TBH bonfire?

Comment

Green water moved in to the 2nd sand bar today. Was able to get out there and have a little fun.

Fish bites on a Carolina rig were money at catching whiting for bait.

Comment

Working...
                              X