Baiting a hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baiting a hog

We have a piece of property in Kinney county that up until now hasn’t had any hogs on it. Lots of Whitetails, axis and turkeys. We had our first hog show up on the game cameras. All the pictures of him has been at night. Going to borrow a hog trap to catch him. Any recommendations on what bait to use? Should I bring the trap over and put the bait in right off or have it outside the trap until he starts eating it. Want to use something that the deer won’t eat as well
    Attached Files

Just corn wire the trap open til he gets used to it. No corn outside the trap will help deter deer.

Comment

Ol Roy dog food from Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Just corn wire the trap open til he gets used to it. No corn outside the trap will help deter deer.
        This. Let them get used to it. Unfortunately you may catch deer, I have had them come after rotten diesel corn. I had great success with my corral trap at my last property but the box style only caught me does, pretty sure the hogs knew what it was, that was a heavy hog area so you might be okay.

Comment

Soak a half a bucket of corn with water and a little bit of diesel. Let it sit for a week and pour in trap. Deer won’t mess with it but, the hogs will. If you need help killing any, I’m willing to help. Good Luck

Comment

Piggy sow in a trap within a trap :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
              Piggy sow in a trap within a trap :-)
              I like the way you think

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                Ol Roy dog food from Walmart.
                Is there anything special about ol Roy or will any dog food work?
                Might try a container of dog food and another with diesel/corn mix and place outside the trap with a camera to see which he prefers before placing the bait in the tray

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                  Is there anything special about ol Roy or will any dog food work?
                  Might try a container of dog food and another with diesel/corn mix and place outside the trap with a camera to see which he prefers before placing the bait in the tray

Corn soaked in a 5 gallon bucket add strawberry jello mix and 2 packets of yeast use to make homemade bread. Close bucket with a crack in the top and let it ferment. Then I dig a hole with a post hole digger 6 to 8” in diameter about 2 to 3 feet deep underneath the trap or move the trap over the hole after you pour the mix in it. I have a small pan I also place in the back of the trap over the hole. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is he coming in the first couple hours after dark? Single boars weakness is they'll develop a very distinct pattern at a feeder. Hang 4-5 Amazon solar lights at the feeder and sit back and shoot him.

Comment

Kill them all.

Comment

I either use barbed wire or a piece of cattle panel across the front of the trap to keep calves out--works on deer too. Just make the opening about 18" above ground.

Comment

I say your best bet is to shoot him. Too much to do to try to catch him in a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                            We had our first hog show up on the game cameras...
                            Didja trap him?

Comment

Working...
                            X