If you need 556 pig bullets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you need 556 pig bullets...

These have been in stock 24 hours now. Lots of folks talk about the Hornady Black 75 BTHP being really good on pigs in 556. I bought 2 boxes of 250 as a backup. Limit 2 boxes. Price pretty good, considering current situation.

All Hornady® Match™ bullets feature revolutionary AMP® (Advanced Manufacturing Process) bullet jackets. Developed by Hornady® engineers, these bullet jackets are a technological advancement in design, tooling and manufacturing that combine to produce the most consistently concentric bullet jackets available. These proven AMP® jackets are the foundation for exceptional bullet accuracy and have virtually zero runout and near zero wall thickness variation. Coupled with precision swaged cores and manufactured to the tightest standards in the industry, all Hornady® Match™ bullets provide superior consistency, high ballistic coefficients and unprecedented levels of accuracy. SECANT OGIVE PROFILE:  The geometric profile works to produce low drag and flatter trajectories. The secant ogive design also provides the optimum bearing surface for stability in flight and the best ballistic coefficient possible. SWAGED LEAD CORE:  The swaging process provides excellent uniformity and balance for consistent performance and accuracy. AMP® JACKET:  The jacket has virtually zero runout and near zero wall thickness variation. BOATTAIL:  The angle and length of the boattail is unique and optimized for each caliber and weight of Match™ bullets to maximize ballistic coefficient and performance. This is quality Bulk Bullets repackaged by Graf & Sons into reusable plastic boxes. Priced per box of 250. This is not loaded ammunition.

Used the BHTP on deer and blackbuck cull and was not overly impressed-- inconsistent performance compared to the 73gr ELDM which worked perfectly and has been my experience with every weight and diameter (Amax and ELDM). Maybe they work better on pigs with thicker skin and dense muscle? Never had the chance to try.

I just grabbed a few hundred of the 50gr NBT (all copper but not the e-Tip) and will try those out running em as fast as I can in my Noveske and maybe the mono+speed will give good results for pigs and furbearers.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
      Used the BHTP on deer and blackbuck cull and was not overly impressed-- inconsistent performance compared to the 73gr ELDM which worked perfectly and has been my experience with every weight and diameter (Amax and ELDM). Maybe they work better on pigs with thicker skin and dense muscle? Never had the chance to try.

I just grabbed a few hundred of the 50gr NBT (all copper but not the e-Tip) and will try those out running em as fast as I can in my Noveske and maybe the mono+speed will give good results for pigs and furbearers.
      The only deer I’ve shot with them was a fat mule deer doe at 248 yds, but it was a head shot so no real way to determine performance. I’ve shot truckloads of hogs with them though many times over. They’ve performed very well for me. I didn’t pay much attention to how the bullet looked after the fact, but my first shot drop rate was definitely higher than any other (223) round I’ve tried for thermal hunting. The 73 EDLM I snagged a few boxes of in 2019, and ran them one night. Again I didn’t pay attention to the bullet after the fact, but I had more that required follow up shots it seemed. The only night I’ve ran them. I started ordering the Black 75 BTHP a few cases at a time after that.

Comment

Thanks. Got 250 on the way....I hope. They showed to be in stock when ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally haven't shot any of the 75's.

It's little brother the Hornady 62 BTHP (that once upon a time you could buy really cheap at Mid-South), I have shot a lot of those on pigs and they work nearly as good as the 65 SGK I normally use. At half the price. I shoot the 62's out of a 14.5" piston gun and even at those lower speeds I have no issues with them at all. Shot 200 rounds of them from a helicopter a couple weekends ago and the pilot was pretty impressed with the knockdown rate I was getting on running pigs. I have tied into some big sounders shooting them on several occasions and have had very good kill rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
            I personally haven't shot any of the 75's.

It's little brother the Hornady 62 BTHP (that once upon a time you could buy really cheap at Mid-South), I have shot a lot of those on pigs and they work nearly as good as the 65 SGK I normally use. At half the price. I shoot the 62's out of a 14.5" piston gun and even at those lower speeds I have no issues with them at all. Shot 200 rounds of them from a helicopter a couple weekends ago and the pilot was pretty impressed with the knockdown rate I was getting on running pigs. I have tied into some big sounders shooting them on several occasions and have had very good kill rates.
            I tried the 75s cause I could get them for $10/20 at cost. Ordered a case and performed a lot better than expected. I’ve got about 1000 65 SGKs left that I used to handload for my 223 killing rounds. Once I dove off into thermal killing a few years back I started looking for factory options as I didn’t feel like handloading a few hundred rounds per week. The 75s have worked as well if not slightly better than the 65s for me, but I wouldn’t scoff at the 65. It’s a tried and true killer. The past few weeks I’ve been able to find the Frontier 68 BTHP and 75 BTHP for “cheap” again. Gave $13/20 for the 75s last week and the 68s are available all day long for me at $15/20. Still not cheap enough where I’m buying a few cases, but cheap enough I’ll grab em if I need em. Oh and the frontier stuff runs the Hornady pills.

Comment

I was getting my brass $50/1500 from a guy at a marksmanship unit, all fired in match chambers or test barrels. Good LC stuff. That source has dried up now, lol. The 62 BTHP used to sell for $62/500. I could bulk process and run them on my Dillon 550 for about 25 cents a round and have good ammo that shot sub-moa in my little piston gun. That was then though. I may have to re-evaluate now.

Most of my pig shooting though I am currently using 6.5 Grendel with either the 95 VMAX, 90 TNT, or discontinued Sierra 85 HP. So far they have been working good for me and don't bounce much. Seems like I always have cattle, equipment, pivots, or something to deal with. You know how it is doing crop damage control with thermal.

Comment

Working...
              X