Artifact Guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artifact Guys...

All surface finds within 75 yards of each other, should I start digging test holes? If so, how deep?
    Attached Files

I like the two in the middle. Not heard of digging holes to find stuff. From what I have heard, the times you want to be digging, is when you find mounds. The guys that know that stuff, get very vague on what exactly to look for, to find mounds, or where to dig.

Comment

Yep - I know nothing about it so calling out the experts.

Comment

Awesome! I am no help though, sorry.

Comment

Nice pic nicholson

Comment

There is a group called Texas Chert, if I remember correctly. There are some guys on there that know a lot, but they won't tell you much. From what I have seen, if you have a place, that potentially has some good hunting grounds, they want to come out and dig, offering you a percentage or some deal along those lines. But many get very vague on info of where and how to find mounds yourself. There are a few that will give you some decent info. Some of those guys, take that stuff very serious, they like to keep their spots secret and very territorial of any dig spots they have.

I think finding old arrow heads and other items is pretty cool, used to find a lot of them, years ago, when I hunted on some ranches down south. But I have not found anything in a while, have not been anywhere, where I could possibly find something.

Looks like you have found a area, where there was a good bit of activity, I would definitely keep searching that area. The best place I ever found, was a hill, outside of Big Wells. Every time it rained hard, I could go out there afterwards and search that hill and find about seven very nice, small arrow heads.

Comment

Yes, I reached out and that is what they wanted to do. Uh - No! �� appreciate the comment I’ll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                There is a group called Texas Chert, if I remember correctly. There are some guys on there that know a lot, but they won't tell you much. From what I have seen, if you have a place, that potentially has some good hunting grounds, they want to come out and dig, offering you a percentage or some deal along those lines. But many get very vague on info of where and how to find mounds yourself. There are a few that will give you some decent info. Some of those guys, take that stuff very serious, they like to keep their spots secret and very territorial of any dig spots they have.

I think finding old arrow heads and other items is pretty cool, used to find a lot of them, years ago, when I hunted on some ranches down south. But I have not found anything in a while, have not been anywhere, where I could possibly find something.

Looks like you have found a area, where there was a good bit of activity, I would definitely keep searching that area. The best place I ever found, was a hill, outside of Big Wells. Every time it rained hard, I could go out there afterwards and search that hill and find about seven very nice, small arrow heads.
                Sounds like a great group of guys.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post

No kidding! Hey guys, I'm new to bow hunting and have a place to hunt- would love to learn what to look for.
                  Great- let us come out and hunt and we'll give you a backstrap. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

Good luck OP- those look really neat and I would venture you've got a honey hole somewhere.

Comment

With those tools all close together there will be a camp there somewhere. How big is anyone’s guess. South Texas camps are usually very shallow thus you have a lot of surface finds. Our place in the hill country has artifacts down to 12 feet subsurface. East Texas can be much deeper. We typically will use a skid steer to dig test holes and screen that dirt to see what we find. Midden rock will help you identify the main area. All of our camps are full of white snail shells as well. Good luck. It’s a lot of fun once you start finding them.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

The rounded one is abasolo, the pointed teardrop is desmuke, the half moon is a Nueces tool and the triangle is Matamoros. I am going to guess deep south Texas. You will have more luck surface hunting than digging in that area. The groups that made those weren't midden makers.
                        Last edited by Reelthreat; 03-05-2021, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post

Many of the “experts” around here are the same way. I’ve PMed several asking questions about things and it’s usually radio silence in response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X