Need Some advice.. APA Bow 90lbs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I purchased a 70lb APA Mamba from a fella on Ebay. In hopes of building a 90+ pound. I contacted APA and was told that I could purchase the limbs after signing and returning the waiver. Today I asked for a price and they're responded with a "oh yah, you have to get new 90lb strings too."

This is new to me. Having to get an new set of strings/cables for adding 20lbs of draw weight ?
    I went from 60lb limbs to 80lb limbs on my patriot and have not had any side effects !

Plus I've heard that APA strings have some stretch in them and if replacing go with aftermarket !

What to do ??

Not looking for the "WHY shoot that much weight" or the "just shoot it at 70" comments.
    I'm young, dumb, and STRONG and I train often to keep my body conditioned.

Thanks in advance

You obviously are dead set on getting what you want.

Write a check, be happy with your purchase, and screw what anyone thinks.

I don’t understand the need for anyone’s approval.

Comment

They May add a couple of strands to the strings and cables when they go that heavy on their bows.. That said I doubt it is necessary.I would get Eric Griggs to build you a set of strings and cables for it.. Tell him what your doing and you will have the best set..

Comment

Im 46 and can still shoot and tune an 84# bow with 50% let off. I do struggle after 20 rounds, but my 17 yr old behemoth of a boy pulls it like butter all day long.

Can you order just the limbs and get a custom string? Shurly they can't force you to buy their stings just for safety reasons if you sign a weaver. I know my bows do best with 452x cables and 8190 string.
        Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK View Post
          So, I purchased a 70lb APA Mamba from a fella on Ebay. In hopes of building a 90+ pound. I contacted APA and was told that I could purchase the limbs after signing and returning the waiver. Today I asked for a price and they're responded with a "oh yah, you have to get new 90lb strings too."

This is new to me. Having to get an new set of strings/cables for adding 20lbs of draw weight ?
          I went from 60lb limbs to 80lb limbs on my patriot and have not had any side effects !

Plus I've heard that APA strings have some stretch in them and if replacing go with aftermarket !

What to do ??

Not looking for the "WHY shoot that much weight" or the "just shoot it at 70" comments.

Thanks in advance
          They are simply CTA. Go for it.

Comment

Apa makes some badazzz bows, I’ve got a mamba that I bought 10 years ago and it is a joy to shoot.

Comment

I have a question about the heavy poundage bows.

Do you pick up any extra speed by shooting that heavy? I'm short draw and have considered going to a heavy set up for increased speed

Comment

When I still shot my bow in the 80+ range, I may be totally off on what I perceived, but I didn’t think I got that much added speed, but more “power”. Let’s say you have a quartering away shot and you come up against a shoulder bone on the way out. You’ve already killed it before it hit the shoulder bone, but if it gets hung in that bone, maybe that arrow plugs the hole making for a tough track. With the big heavy poundage bows, I just felt like in that same scenario, mine would always blast through the shoulder bone and make a full pass through.

That said, I have since backed way off on my poundage, now shooting 67.5 lbs and get plenty of speed and pass through.

Comment

I shoot a GT500 and it’s set at 93lbs. Elite never said anything about a different string so I’m gonna guess you’ll be fine with the same string. I think they’re just trying to get more money out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK View Post

What to do ??

Thanks in advance

Nonsense

Comment

they probably know their bows better than anyone else,,, and may just want to be sure you will be ok because they do not know the condition of your current string, so in that aspect they may just be taking care of themselves ,,,, i would call a couple of the major sting makers like vapor trail, americas best, 60x and ask them if a bow at 90# needs a different blend of string or more strands than a 70# bow,,

best to ask the experts they have probably already done the testing

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                        You obviously are dead set on getting what you want.

Write a check, be happy with your purchase, and screw what anyone thinks.

I don’t understand the need for anyone’s approval.

Not approval, advice ! Just looking for some facts and or ideas.
                        I don't give a rats AZZ about others opinions !

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                          I shoot a GT500 and it’s set at 93lbs. Elite never said anything about a different string so I’m gonna guess you’ll be fine with the same string. I think they’re just trying to get more money out of you.

That's exactly what my response email said !

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                            they probably know their bows better than anyone else,,, and may just want to be sure you will be ok because they do not know the condition of your current string, so in that aspect they may just be taking care of themselves ,,,, i would call a couple of the major sting makers like vapor trail, americas best, 60x and ask them if a bow at 90# needs a different blend of string or more strands than a 70# bow,,

best to ask the experts they have probably already done the testing

^ Good Idea ! This is why I started this thread ^

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                              Nonsense

Can you elaborate on you comment ? What is nonsense ?

Comment

Working...
                              X