Killing mesquite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing mesquite

Have about 10 acres I want to spray mesquite on so I was wondering what is the
    Go to mixture realizing it could take several years. Not able to grub them out
    Appreciate the help
    Coleman county

We have used Remedy and Sendero both with success

Comment

Remedy
      Done deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Y'all mix diesel with the remedy? Also, I've heard some spray 2-3ft. of the base of the tree and some also spray both the base and the foliage. Anyone had better luck-one way or the other? Got a bunch to spray so wanting to learn myself!

Comment

I used remedy with diesel on some scrub mesquite with just so so success. Will try senders next time. It costs twice as much as remedy but you use half as much. Remedy did knock the heck out of pencil cactus though.

Comment

Remedy kills all woody trees/plants if they have leaves. No leaves, no success,

Comment

Originally posted by katyhighpockets View Post
              Have about 10 acres I want to spray mesquite on so I was wondering what is the
              Go to mixture realizing it could take several years. Not able to grub them out
              Appreciate the help
              Coleman county

Remedy will work well.
              The application method depends on the size.
              For larger "rough bark" trees mix 25% Remedy and 75% diesel and spray the bottom 18-20 inches all the way around circumference.
              For smaller brush use a 1-2% leaf spray mix with water and a few oz. of a good dish soap.

**don't mix diesel with the leaf spray. The diesel will just burn the leaves off and the plant won't be able to absorb the Remedy. **

Comment

Remedy/diesel mix. Spray trunk about 8” up from ground until it runs to the soil.

Comment

Remedy is basal, Sendero is foliar. I used Sendero last year and had great success. Mix with water. My supplier says that he has never recommended mixing either with diesel. It doesn't work better, and the price is prohibitive.

Comment

Be sure to add the surfactant with Sendero

Comment

I never mix diesel with remedy but I do use a surfactant
                      If you are killing bigger trees take a hatchet and notch the tree and spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With a small tree that has been mowed over a few times, the only method is grubbing. Roots keep on keepin on 6-8ft deep while tree gets whacked a few times. Small tree doesn't suck in enough poison to kill the roots. Top will die for a year and come back as a new bush.

Comment

I've used Remedy and diesel, 1 part Remedy to 4 parts diesel for a basal spray, and it works well. Sendero also works, and I think i used 1 ounce per gallon of spray, but you need to cover the whole bush with it. On smaller bushes, it's cost effective using that mix. I've also used the Pronone power pellets with mixed success. Takes more pellets than the manufacturer says it does. They are pretty easy to apply, but may not show results for a year. And they can get kind of pricey. Stubborn root systems can be killed with the pellets though, since the roots absorb the poison through the soil and not the leaves or bark.
                          Last edited by softpoint; 05-12-2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I use brush killer, diesel, and dish soap in a 1 gal hand sprayer in heat of summer.
                            Make compete circle around the base of the tree. Leaves are yellow and tree is dying when i come back next weekend.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X