Entitled Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entitled Kids

I didn't want to high jack CoachK's post so I started a new one.

I can only assume that the dis-respectfulness of kids these days has come from a sense of entitlement and lack of parenting. But when did it all start? It is my generation that is raising these kids and I thought we were better than that. I grew in a smaller city in Mississippi where family values, morality were important and respect wasn't just expected it was demanded or you got your arse whooped. I along with most my friends were taught from an early age to work for the things you wanted. Things weren't given to you just for the heck of it. We were a lower to mid middle class society and know one went without but we all wanted things we couldn't have or get. And to a point that made us want to work harder for it. I brought my 19 yr old son up the same way I was brought up and he understands the value of the dollar and what it takes to make that dollar. He also understands "yes sir yes ma'am and thank you and please". He wasn't perfect in school and yes I got a phone call or an email a few times about his behavior in the classroom, but they were mostly of him trying to be the class clown but never were they for disrespecting a figure of authority.
    So after all that I guess I'm asking when did kids today and society in general lose the respect for authority figures? I'm 47 and still say "yes ma'am" to the 16 yr old waitress when we go out to eat.

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
    I didn't want to high jack CoachK's post so I started a new one.

I can only assume that the dis-respectfulness of kids these days has come from a sense of entitlement and lack of parenting. But when did it all start? It is my generation that is raising these kids and I thought we were better than that. I grew in a smaller city in Mississippi where family values, morality were important and respect wasn't just expected it was demanded or you got your arse whooped. I along with most my friends were taught from an early age to work for the things you wanted. Things weren't given to you just for the heck of it. We were a lower to mid middle class society and know one went without but we all wanted things we couldn't have or get. And to a point that made us want to work harder for it. I brought my 19 yr old son up the same way I was brought up and he understands the value of the dollar and what it takes to make that dollar. He also understands "yes sir yes ma'am and thank you and please". He wasn't perfect in school and yes I got a phone call or an email a few times about his behavior in the classroom, but they were mostly of him trying to be the class clown but never were they for disrespecting a figure of authority.
    So after all that I guess I'm asking when did kids today and society in general lose the respect for authority figures? I'm 47 and still say "yes ma'am" to the 16 yr old waitress when we go out to eat.
    When this stopped. I don't know when that was exaclty.

Comment

It started with mobile phones, tablets, and technology babysits our kids instead of conversation and reasoning. The difference in kids from 10 years ago today is astonishing. It's been a long slide for sure, but things like tik tok and social media have unraveled social fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
        When this stopped. I don't know when that was exaclty.
        Yep, and when they started blaming teachers for bad grades instead the knuckle-head kids and their whine-bag parents.

Comment

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

I think we're in between phases 3 & 4 at the moment....

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
            “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

I think we're in between phases 3 & 4 at the moment....
            I like that phrase

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
              It started with mobile phones, tablets, and technology babysits our kids instead of conversation and reasoning. The difference in kids from 10 years ago today is astonishing. It's been a long slide for sure, but things like tik tok and social media have unraveled social fabric.
              Spot on. I think sometimes kids are so over stimulated with what all their friends are doing, hanging out, what they have, who their with, etc… causes them jealousy, frustration, stress, anxiety in some cases you often wonder if there is a correlation to increase in drug use or even the extreme of suicide
              My kids are all teenagers with the exception of my 20 yr old & the phone use & social media is non stop it seems

Comment

It's the same every generation. The kids are always going to hell in a handbrake. Hasn't happened yet.

Comment

I think its parenting (or lack of it). I work with several districts throughout the state and most people will blame other adults for things their kids do, even when they are shown video of their kid screwing up. We can't blame society too much because the parents are still responsible for teaching their kids how to act when they are not at home. I was not and am not a perfect parent. The hardest thing to do as a parent is to keep your word when you tell your child what the consequences will be for doing something that is not allowed in your home. I hope that people start taking responsibility for their families because when families get messed up, society follows.

Comment

It started with the time out generation . And buying love with gifts and toys .

Comment

This^^^^^^ is what kids are entitled to.

Comment

It comes down to the parents upbringing reflecting on their children, so many were taught the right way and continue to do so with their children while others who had a rougher upbringing or entitlement benefit feel it’s ok to continue doing with their children as they were brought up. I grew up as a migrant working every summer since the age of 11 to help my parents out and they taught my and my siblings how to respect the people around you and value of a hard earned dollar maybe my children won’t work in the hot summer fields but I will never hesitate to give them a crash course of it if they ever get out of line.

Comment

This right here!

Comment

Internet plays a large role for parents too, imo. You bring something up to peers and they confirm you were in the wrong you may change. Now you just post it online in specific groups/pages that cater to your bias and get dozens or hundreds of strangers telling you, "You dang right ain't no teacher lady gonna talk to my kid like that!"

Comment

Prime example. My wife is trying to start writing kids books. She wrote one a while back about respect, and work ethic and helping your parents with chores etc. Stuff we all grew up doing. It was a neat book and well thought out. It actually had some meaning and principle behind it wrapped into making it a fun book tailored toward kids. She sent it to a editor and they bashed her bad. For saying that kids should just be kids have no responsibilities, etc. Way harsher then just constructive criticism.

She was pretty down about it I just told her she needed to work on finding a different editor. We are trying to raise our son like most of us on here think. But dang alot of folk are raising and breeding entitled little **** heads... I agree it ended around the time the Arse whoopins stopped which is the same time everyone started carrying a camera on their phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X