MD's small sika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MD's small sika

Yall say everything is bigger in Texas and for these Japanese sika that is definitely true. Ours originated from Yakushima Island Japan with maybe 4 to 6 came to be put on a small duck hunting island in the Chesapeake Bay around 1916. Becoming feral then swimming to the mainland only a few hundred yards away have populated the Delmarva Peninsula to exceed the numbers on their Japanese homeland where they are protected. They are coveted by hunters for their venison and hunt experience but are despised by many farmers for their nocturnal destructive behavior. Any spot especially marsh almost inaccessible on foot with sika on it has gained attention from hunters and real estate personnel alike. Lucky for me a friend manages couple hundred of acres and gives us an invite on occasion to chase the tasty critters. My daughter took a mature lopsided 6 point with her Blacktail Recurve during the October muzzleloader season (MD allows to use a lesser weapon in some seasons) then a bb that dressed 50# in January that she thought was a hind. I got invited to hunt the last day of regular bow season 1-31-22 and took a 5 point dressing 80# with my DrawLoc. Had to switch from my regular compound after falling in the dark walking out from a bowhunt in November. Had my reverse replacement replaced 2-1-22 LOL Daughter took another stag with her recurve during the MD primitive 3 day season GREAT SIKA SEASON for us! Who would have guessed a couple little Japanese imports would cause such a stir and have hunters so obsessed with chasing them. They do eat EXCELLANT and maybe one day will chase the BIG ones you all have down there unfortunately the lease kids and friends are on don't have exotics. Oh yea some dippy eggs with sika tenderloin OH MAN GOOD sorry no hashbrowns but have but didn't need it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 02-07-2022, 09:15 PM.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome stuff congrats to you both I’ve been looking into trying to go hunt those out there!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Awesome! I’ve been wanting to try hunting out in those marshes myself. Seems like it would be a good challenge

Comment

Supercool

Comment

That’s an awesome story. Congrats to you both and for bringing us back to hunting season.

Comment

Congrats on your season, and hope you recover well.

Comment

Cool deal! Congrats

Comment

I read an article not long ago about a feller who shot one in that area. He was bow hunting while wearing waders.

Congrats to you and your daughter.

Comment

Congratulations, nice shooting and great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        That’s an awesome story. Congrats to you both and for bringing us back to hunting season.
                        X2

Comment

Congrats, great animals!

Comment

Congratulations and I hope my daughter will one day join me on hunts when she gets old enough to go. You are a blessed man

Comment

Nice. Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                              X