No announcement yet.

Crawfish boiler replacement part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need a 3/8 male flare half union. The male flare will stick out, it what the hose connects to. Not sure what will have to slip inside the pipe.

Comment

I fixed it with some advice from the man at Ace Hardware.

I bought a Sharkbite connector, a small section of 1/2" copper and some joints. I did not have to sweat or use flux. I did buy a flange tool to put a flange on the joint.

I had to add the copper pipe because when I trimmed just a little off the old pipe, I did not have enough space to add the connector thingy.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll put a propane tank on it to make sure it works but I don't see any reason it will not.

Comment

Here's the before photo. I guess I deleted the link to it in the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
          Thanks! But Dusty Britches is Tracey; Stacey is the other one (me)
          Dang it!!!!! You two girls have always confused me.

Good job Tracey!
          Last edited by Goldeneagle; 05-06-2022, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              I fixed it with some advice from the man at Ace Hardware.

I bought a Sharkbite connector, a small section of 1/2" copper and some joints. I did not have to sweat or use flux. I did buy a flange tool to put a flange on the joint.

I had to add the copper pipe because when I trimmed just a little off the old pipe, I did not have enough space to add the connector thingy.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll put a propane tank on it to make sure it works but I don't see any reason it will not.

Great. I love the ease and function of the SharkBite line!

Comment

Make sure there are no leaks before lighting off

Comment

Looks good! Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                    Make sure there are no leaks before lighting off

Spray all with soapy water once connected under full pressure.

Comment

What kind of heat can the shark bite fitting take before the plastic starts to melt, I'm sure that piece of tubing gets hot even that far away from the burner

Comment

Originally posted by SCORPION KING View Post
                        What kind of heat can the shark bite fitting take before the plastic starts to melt, I'm sure that piece of tubing gets hot even that far away from the burner
                        This would be my concern as well, I’m to OCD and I’d end up blowing myself up somehow if I tried the easy way out. Plastic and heat no mixey very well.

Comment

There are other plastics there that are 6" closer to the burner exposed and on the other side of the heat shield designed by the manufacturer of the cooker. It's rated to 200*F.
                          All "plastic type" material is not the same. Consider all of the "plastics" attached to your engines.

The SharkBite coupler O-ring seals even tighter when it's hot. I can't undo one unless it's been cooled.

Comment

Way to see it through and fix it. I wish my employees would do that.

Comment

Great fix

Comment

So I finally had time to run a leak test. and it leaked here, where these two connected. The threads were not exactly the same and somehow it cross threaded.

So I put my thinking cap back on and since I had another Shark Bite fitting with a male 1/2" threaded end, I trimmed the flared end and put it on. But after I got it on, I realized I forgot to remove the compression fitting. Oh well. No harm and I couldn't figure out how to remove a Shark Bite without a special tool or without cutting the line. So I left it there. I ran another leak test and it worked fine.

Then I lit it up. No boom booms. and both burners worked great!

Honestly, I was never concerned about it heating up because the hot part is the flame coming out of the stacks - there is no heat in the line. It is only transporting the propane. Yes, there will be some radiant heat but I doubt it will travel this far down the line.

Thanks for ... well .. supporting me!

Comment

Working...
                                X