Cain pole fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cain pole fishing

Who still fishes this way. I had a blast with a can of worms at our pond. Really brought back memories. Caught 5 bass in about 45 min.

We still do when the creek is up. Kids love it.

Comment

Haven’t done it in years. Can’t look at one without remembering my grandmother though. She used to wear them out with one! Once, when I was about 18, we were fishing in a creek together. She was just out of sight from me when I heard her hollering, “ Oh Steve, he got my pole! It must be a big one!!” Here comes that floating pole around the bend towards me, just a making a wake behind it. “Oh yeah Granny, it’s a big one!” When it got even with me I jumped off that 6 foot high creek bank into the water and grabbed it with both hands. Pulled back on it and up came about an 8 inch polly. Oh well, at least we got the pole back.

Comment

Used to cane fish catfish in the rocks with blood every May. Aint done it in a couple years.

Comment

I catch perch and small catfish with one here in the pond by the house.

Comment

Love cane pole fishing or any kind of fishing. Reminds me of the good days!

Comment

Not in a long time, but it surely was fun !

Comment

I keep a few. Used to use them for perch. Then use the perch for bait. Taught my youngest two how to fish with one. It was also all my grandfather used to use, seeing how he had cane growing on his property on the lake. He'd just buy the line with the hook, weight, and bobber already attached and wound up on a cardboard. The line was usually a braided camo line with 3 or 4 colors that changed every foot to 16".

They are great for shallow water bigger cats too. Stickem in the bank. When they get pulled loose, just go chase the cane down. Cane acts like a float. Kinda like jug fish-n.

Comment

Lost all of mine in the shop fire at my Dads place . I need to replace them so I can take my kiddos .

Comment

I use to all the time when I was a kid down near Matagorda. I’d ride my bike down to the creek and sit under a shade tree with frozen mullet. Gar was mostly what I caught with a few grinnel. Caught a huge snook one time but it came off as I was getting him up the 4’ hoist above the water to the road where I fished. Sucker was every bit of 30” long.

Comment

Haven't used a cane pole in years. I might rig up a few, including a jiggerpole or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                        Lost all of mine in the shop fire at my Dads place . I need to replace them so I can take my kiddos .
                        Had a friend pick me up 3 Calcuttas in Winnie. They are 22ft long. You can’t break them. They are the same pole surfrods where made from back in the day.

Comment

Cane pole with a shiner in the brush for crappie. And, around rocks and brush with a crawfish for catfish and bass.

Comment

When I was in Venice, LA last November, a guide pulled in his boat with several lashed down. They caught more fish than we did. Mentioned it to my day 2 guide and he said they're having guide tournaments amongst themselves for best fish. Likewise, if you look into Tenkara fly fishing, it's basically the same thing and has a growing following.

Comment

I caught a nice largemouth bass with a cane pole using a grasshopper when I was around 7 or 8 years old without any adult supervision in Schulenburg. I can remember looking down its mouth in amazement

Comment

Working...
                              X