Reloading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarW View Post
    I generally put what I consider to be a light crimp on the brass trying for uniform neck tension.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Don’t crimp precision rounds. Ever.

Turn necks. Run neck bushings etc. Many ways to control neck tension. Crimping ain’t one of em that I’d even entertain. All that’s for is to prevent bullets from sliding in the case in auto loaders and heavy recoiling rifles.

Comment

Charge master will only save you time. It’s still just as accurate as a beam scale or a normal digital scale.

In my opinion the only way to REALLY make a difference when it comes to the scale itself(not the methods) is to spend the $$ on a scale that will read to the hundredth of a grain(IE:54.xx instead of 54.X).

Plenty, if not most people produce single digit SD/ES using a tenth scale anyway. The methods are the key, not necessarily the scale. My cheap Frankford Arsenal digital scale does the job for me.

Comment

I generally put what I consider to be a light crimp on the brass trying for uniform neck tension.

I think this may be where some of your issues are coming from.

Comment

[QUOTE=El Paisano;16146699]I use a powder measure just short of the required load and then trickle on a beam scale, for every one, if you want them consistent.[/QUOTE

I learned to do the same way on my longer range bolt rifles back in '92.

I call it "match loads" between my son and I. We don't practice this with our pistol or auto-action loads.

Our Practice: Drop measure (hair light), Trickle feed the powder on a scale to be exact and even weigh each bullet. Typically we will not use 8-10 out of a 100 for these loads. Each brass is trimmed to be exact and exact when seated.

It's overkill and some wasted time, but we do it together and eliminate an excuse on a badly loaded bullet.

Comment

If you don't already have a bullet comparator you need to get one.
            I use one of these. https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=HN&i=B14

You can get accurate shoulder bump and base to Ogive measurements. Not good to measure base to tip. very inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              If you don't already have a bullet comparator you need to get one.
              I use one of these. https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=HN&i=B14

You can get accurate shoulder bump and base to Ogive measurements. Not good to measure base to tip. very inaccurate.
              I'll look into that.

Any advice on best tool for neck tension?

Comment

I'll look into that.

This is what I use to turn case necks. https://kmshooting.com/product-category/neck-tools/
                Youtube vids abound on how to use it.
                You will also need bushing dies for setting the correct neck tension. https://www.redding-reloading.com/on...s-bushing-dies

Once the case necks are turned and case is sized then the neck tension is concentric and the bullets leaves the case with little to no wobble. This is one of the things that promote consistent bullet flight and accuracy.

Comment

I'll look into that.

Expander mandrel in the diameter of your choice. Typically .001-.002 under bullet diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If your up for a road trip pm me and we can see if we can get our schedules lined up and your welcome to come up and bring your rifle, die’s and components and I’ll help work up a load for your gun. After you have the recipe all you have to do is repeat it and your good to go.
                    My reloading room is built into my shooting shop so we can build and shoot at the same time out to 500 yards.
                    Last edited by Kong; 03-24-2022, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                      If your up for a road trip pm me and we can see if we can get our schedules lined up and your welcome to come up and bring your rifle, die’s and components and I’ll help work up a load for your gun. After you have the recipe all you have to do is repeat it and your good to go.
                      My reloading room is built into my shooting shop so we can build and shoot at the same time out to 500 yards.
                      What dreams are made of right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                        Might take u up on this one day.
                        Right now I'm a full-time student and work full-time. Kinda reload as stress relief.

Comment

We only used a scales to set the measure and then threw every load out of the Harrel's powder measure. Almost never used a chronograph. Got good results. Case prep and load/powder selection is the key.
                          Last edited by softpoint; 03-25-2022, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Is my Chargemaster combo more accurate than my beam scale? I would say as accurate and definitely more consistent depending on the type of powder. With extruded powder I will still have to trickle powder occasionally with the electronic scale but that is just the nature of the beast.
                            What it has done for me is streamlined my reloading workflow and saves me a little time.
                            I always recalibrate my scale every time I reload and if I am reloading more than one caliber during a single session using different powders, I will recalibrate when I switch powders.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X