X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mask is great, just heavy at 6.6oz
    Aluminum is light but hard to clean, this is a hard pass for many people
    The new yhm phantom has stainless steel baffles and is 4oz’s
    The rugged oculus is modular (breaks in half) and is stainless, or you can get the aluminum mustang that is like 3oz’s (rugged has $100 gift certificate to their website on oculus right now)
    The oss rad22 people say is close to the mask in performance but keeps the gun a lot cleaner with its design.
    Anything that is not 22lr will be loud out of a 22 can because it will not be subsonic, generally.

Comment

Anything that is not 22lr will be loud out of a 22 can because it will not be subsonic, generally.

This is true, the hotter .22 caliber cartridges are all loud. About all you can do is get them hearing safe.

Comment

Following

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I have 1 22 can so can’t compare to others but I love it. Out of all my 22s my favorite set up for accuracy,price, and sound combo is mg savage mk2 fvsr. Very accurate and threaded from factory. Paired with my sparrow I’m very happy with the results. Buying is pretty easy. The wait time is not

Comment

A Gem-Tech suppressed barrel on standard 10/22 action is stupid quiet.

Comment

I have a Dead Air Mask and love it. I shot it right out the back door and my wife never even looked up to see what I was doing.

Comment

Get yourself a SRT Arms, Integrally suppressed Ruger 77/22. You shoot regular 22 rounds thru it instead of subsonic. The only thing you hear is the firing pin striking the casing, then the bullet slapping whatever it hits. (the bullet hitting is louder than the rifle firing). It also looks just like a bull barreled rifle so nobody will even know it's suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                    Following
                    X2, thanks for the good information.

Comment

As everyone else has said, the Dead Air Mask is a GREAT option. Love mine.

I’ve got a 10/22 that I built up. Magpul Hunter stock, JJ feddersen threaded and fluted bull barrel, ruger bx22 trigger, kidd bumper buffer thing, a few other little nick nacks. It’s a really fun rifle. Pretty quiet.

Ruger mk4 tactical for the suppressed pistol side, again it’s a lot of fun. Even the high velocity ammo stays subsonic in the short pistol barrel, so I can shoot bulk pack ammo and not eat up my subsonic stuff.

Quietest is the bolt action. I just bought a Savage b22 FVSR, threw a scope on it and went. Overall it’s a solid rifle, and plenty accurate. The stock isn’t that great, so one day I might swap it, but it’s nothing too terrible. With subsonic ammo you pretty much hear the firing pin drop.

I mainly shoot the CCI standard velocity(loudest of them all, but still very quiet compared to unsupressed) or their suppressor line(970fps I think it is, backyard shooting type quiet). CCI quiets are ridiculously quiet, but at that low of velocity you loose a lot of energy for taking out critters. The loudest part of shooting them is whatever the bullet impacts.

Process takes a while, but is pretty easy. Easiest way is to go online to silencer shop and see if any dealers around you have a kiosk. If so, just use that dealer. Order the suppressor and tax stamp on their website, go to the dealer and use the kiosk to fill out all paperwork, take photos and do your finger prints. Everything gets sent off and after however many months you get approved. My first can took 5 months, second(the mask HD) took 9. No idea what the wait time is now.

Most if not all 22lr cans are direct thread, not aware of any QD ones. So, they just thread right onto your barrel. If you have something like a 10/22 that isn’t threaded, the easiest option is to get an aftermarket barrel that is. I think I paid around $200 for my 10/22 barrel, and it’s a very easy install. The thicker Bull barrels will require a stock that will accept it, so buying something like the magpul hunter is what I went with instead of trying to sand the barrel channel and make the factory wood stock work.

If you don’t have a rifle that you want to put the suppressor on, then just purchase one that’s suppressor ready. That’s why I got the Savage b22 fvsr, I didn’t have a bolt action 22 but knew I wanted one. My buddy has the mkII fvsr, it’s a tack driver but the stock is REALLY bad and I wasn’t a fan of the 5rd exposed mag.

Comment

Not sure if it been mentioned yet, but the rugged oculus is another great option. Modular and extremely tough.

Comment

All great advice above. The 22 cans are the ones we shoot the most and I am sure it will be that way for you also.
                          Integral suppressors are the quietest I have seen. Ruger makes one that fits on the takedown 10/22. Super quiet.

Comment

I’ve got a Savage FVSR 22 bolt gun I’d let go pretty cheap. They’re a fantastic little suppressor host. They come threaded 1/2-28 and have a rail already. Just need your can and an optic.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedBrazos View Post
                              I know nothing about silencers.
                              I want a 22 I can shoot and no one knows I shot. I'm thinking a suppressor on a bolt action rifle, shooting subsonic rounds.
                              What's the process for getting the silencer, which one is best, and how do I stick it on the gun? Gotta get a special barrel or what?
                              I know a lot of things, but these things I know nothing about. Lol
                              Any advice is appreciated.

Make it simple and just get it already built for you.

Or you just follow the people above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
                                Get yourself a SRT Arms, Integrally suppressed Ruger 77/22. You shoot regular 22 rounds thru it instead of subsonic. The only thing you hear is the firing pin striking the casing, then the bullet slapping whatever it hits. (the bullet hitting is louder than the rifle firing). It also looks just like a bull barreled rifle so nobody will even know it's suppressed.
                                I hear the 10/22 action then the bullet hitting downrange.

Last I heard the SRT was around $1600 by itself. I admit I would live to have one but liked the process I used listed below.

$600 for Mist 22-TD integrally suppressed barrel (looks like bull barrel)
                                $300 for new Ruger 10/22 with factory bull barrel
                                $200 for ATF Stamp (has it gone up in recent years?)
                                ???? for legal work. (We bought 8 under a Family Trust years ago but I know that it isn’t the same now)

Welcome to the addiction!!
                                Last edited by Tejas Wildlife; 02-14-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X