Travel trailer converter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer converter help

We have an 80’s model holiday rambler 33 get at the deer lease and the lights are very dim, ac, microwave work it’s the 12 volt system that I think the converter is bad! My question is what amp size do I need for a replacement it has no batteries to charge it stays at the ranch and where to buy?

The most common size for 30 amp trailers is 55 amps.

Comment

Just the man I was hoping for, will any 55 amp work I’ve seen several online for sale? Any recommendations as to what else to look for as possible issue? The little cooling fan on the converter looks like it’s trying to turn but cant

Comment

Without batteries to charge, just about any reputable converter in the correct amperage will work. Where they really shine is how well they take care of your batteries, and you want one that will maintain them while not overcharging. I know you said no batteries, but I'd still look at the ones capable of multi-stage charging as I feel they're more likely to provide clean, consistent 12v power for the trailer.

I installed the PowerMax Boondocker PM4B-60 in my 50 amp Airstream back in 2013 and it has worked like a champ since.

From what I'm seeing, PowerMax and Progressive Dynamics seem to be the most reputable converters these days. The below site has a lot of good info to school yourself up and make a more informed decision. Good luck and hope this helps.

Converter,Inverter,Distribution panel,Ac/dc distribution panel,Automatic transfer relay,Automatic transfer switch,Relay,Switch,Transfer relay,Transfer switch,Inteli-Power,Intellipower,Intelipower,Progressive Dynamics,Progressive Dynamics,Charge Wizard,Converter,Power converter,Switcher converter,Best converter,Switcher,Converter Switcher,Switcher Charger,Battery,Battery Charger,Charger,Inverter,Power inverter,WFCO,Pure sine,Pure sine inverter,Sine Wave Inverter,VDC,Batteryminder,Battery minder,Solar charger,Solar panel

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
            Without batteries to charge, just about any reputable converter in the correct amperage will work. Where they really shine is how well they take care of your batteries, and you want one that will maintain them while not overcharging. I know you said no batteries, but I'd still look at the ones capable of multi-stage charging as I feel they're more likely to provide clean, consistent 12v power for the trailer.

I installed the PowerMax Boondocker PM4B-60 in my 50 amp Airstream back in 2013 and it has worked like a champ since.

From what I'm seeing, PowerMax and Progressive Dynamics seem to be the most reputable converters these days. The below site has a lot of good info to school yourself up and make a more informed decision. Good luck and hope this helps.

https://www.bestconverter.com/
            I called up Randy on the phone and sent him a picture of the old one and he got me hooked up with a replacement, lots of help lots of info great customer service thank you sir

Comment

Watching this. Mine is going out in my 2007 Innsbruck and was trying to calculate what size mine was also.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                Watching this. Mine is going out in my 2007 Innsbruck and was trying to calculate what size mine was also.
                Generally the size is link to the model #
                Example - 8955 (55 Amp), 7345 (45 amp) etc

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                  Generally the size is link to the model #
                  Example - 8955 (55 Amp), 7345 (45 amp) etc
                  Awesome! Thanks for the info. Tough to change yourself or no?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                    Awesome! Thanks for the info. Tough to change yourself or no?
                    Not tough, if you understand electrical. If it is a stand alone unit, unplug it from the wall and disconnected the positive & negative wires. If it is built in to the distribution panel. You have to hard wire in to the breaker box and connect the positive & negative to the fuse buss

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      Not tough, if you understand electrical. If it is a stand alone unit, unplug it from the wall and disconnected the positive & negative wires. If it is built in to the distribution panel. You have to hard wire in to the breaker box and connect the positive & negative to the fuse buss
                      That sounds like a job for someone other than me. Lol

Comment

Lots of good instructional videos on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                          I called up Randy on the phone and sent him a picture of the old one and he got me hooked up with a replacement, lots of help lots of info great customer service thank you sir
                          Awesome, sir. Glad to help!

Comment

Working...
                          X