6.4L Hemi Cold Start Lifter Knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.4L Hemi Cold Start Lifter Knock

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. It has about 25,000 miles on it. After the last oil change I started noticing an occasional lifter knock lasting 2-4 seconds upon startup. Does anyone have any info or suggestions on this? Common or not? Serious or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t noticed one. 48,000 miles

Comment

Pretty common, hydraulic lifters on the MDS system and oil pressure coming to top of motor.

Comment

Do a search for an issue called Hemi Tick, it’s pretty well known and can eventually lead to a pretty costing repair. It’s cause by the MDS system on the Hemi engines, the lifter loses lubrication and the problem begins where it’ll chew into the cam.

My 2014 5.7 does this on cold start and it’s what caused me to look into it. Since then I’ve disabled to MDS feature as soon as I put my truck into gear. The issue hasn’t gotten any worse in the roughly 50k I’ve put in it since the discovery but obviously it isn’t going to get better on its own and will I’ll eventually need to fix it. At this point I’m just trying to squeeze another 12-15 months out of the engine, long enough to buy a new house, pay off momma’s Durango and then buy a new truck for myself at which point the truck will be mostly parked while I rip it apart and fix it properly to be set up as my son’s first truck.

I do know with mine being an 8 speed transmission all I have to do is put the transmission in manual mode, kick it to 8th gear and it functions as a normal automatic transmissions. I believe on the 6 speed transmissions you can do this by putting it in tow/haul mode but that’s only what I’ve read.

Comment

There is allot of internet reading you can do on the subject, but it seems to be the result of the roller bearings in the lifters. From what I've read u can use lucas synthetic additive and it keeps a film on them to stop the tick.

Comment

Originally posted by paigers01 View Post
            I have a 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi. It has about 25,000 miles on it. After the last oil change I started noticing an occasional lifter knock lasting 2-4 seconds upon startup. Does anyone have any info or suggestions on this? Common or not? Serious or not?

the lifter tick is common on most HEMI varients. could be the oil isnt reaching the liters in the necessary time, resulting in the tick. My 5.7 is the same way. every oil change i take and pour 7.5 liters in. I havent had any problems so far

Comment

My 2018 did the same thing. Took it to 2 different dealerships and they told me it was normal, but couldn’t argue against the fact that it didn’t do it new. They said they all do it. Traded it in after they were unwilling to fix it, or should I say couldn’t, since they are just computer techs pretty much. They told me they couldn’t do anything if it was not throwing codes.

Comment

Mine ticks all the time now. 62,000 miles. Somebody on here was doing a MDS delete on the top end and that’s probably the route I’ll go when it blows up. 2018 6.4 and already had the trans replaced under warranty. Wish I’d gotten a Ferd.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                  There is allot of internet reading you can do on the subject, but it seems to be the result of the roller bearings in the lifters. From what I've read u can use lucas synthetic additive and it keeps a film on them to stop the tick.
                  use the lucas additive every oil change

Comment

Yup Hemi tick, my ‘17 does it, personal mechanic said it was normal. My dad’s ‘98 Chevy 350 did something similar as well when I was a kid. You’re good.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. It’s frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Since nobody mentioned it, hemis are also notorious for exhaust leaks at the manifold. Sounds similar to lifter tap but will get worse with time. I thought they replaced the needle bearings in the lifters a couple years ago to help with the lifters eating the cams. I've got 200,000 on a 2012 5.7 and it's still running strong, need to drill out some exhaust manifold bolts though, it's "ticking" like a s.o.b. AGAIN!

Comment

Are you 100% positive it isn't an exhaust leak? I've had a few that came through people feared the worst. And it was broken exhaust manifold bolts. Replaced bolts and gaskets. Problem fixed. I have also see lifter issues. Just don't assume right away. Exhaust leaks typically self seal up when it warms up and metal expands. Just have a mechanic you trust check it out.

Comment

Most likely unrelated, but my parents ford truck had that had similar issue. Supposedly a cheaper filter caused oil to drain back reverse flow when shut down, something about a one way check in some filters. Swapped to a oem and problem stopped. Since you just got an oil change could be an issue? Dunno but good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X