No announcement yet.

How 'bout a Quote thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Just because you have the right to do something does not mean it’s the right thing to do.”—from my dad.

It was usually followed by, “Don’t be a dumb a**!”

Comment

There is no future in yesterday.

I said that.

Comment

Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves.

Sam Elliot. We Were Soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          “Just because you have the right to do something does not mean it’s the right thing to do.”—from my dad.

It was usually followed by, “Don’t be a dumb a**!”
          ^^^ This reminds me of something my Dad said many years ago, as we were watching a tow truck winch my truck out of the bar ditch I put it in while driving in heavy fog.

"Good judgment is something you might get.... if you survive bad judgment."

Comment

My old Cajun boss while talking about people keeping (or not keeping) a secret would always say...

“Don’t tell but if you tell, tell the one you tell not to tell”.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
              "Get off of my lawn." Clint Eastwood character, pointing a shotgun.
              Sorry but I must correct you. That is a Burnadell quote stolen by Clint. The quote originated during a speech given by then president Lincoln. During a lull in the speech a booming voice bellowed. "I don't a ++++ what you are going to do, get off my +++++++ lawn. At a later date the profanity was removed and the quote was shortened to it's present form. I heard that on Paul Harvey's radio show. And now you know the rest of the story.

My favorites:

"Every dollar you talk for is one less you have to work for."

Comment

Sheriff Ed Tom Bell from "No Country For Old Men": "if that ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here"

Comment

“Mom, Pirates don’t wear life jackets.”
                  My 3 year old yesterday on a family boat ride.

Comment

Originally posted by dallred View Post
                    Sheriff Ed Tom Bell from "No Country For Old Men": "if that ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here"
                    Another good quote from that movie:

"where'd you get the pistol?"

"The gettin place"

I use that second line all the time.

Comment

Couple of Brad Pitt quotes from the WWII dark comedy "Inglorious B*stards", in his best Tennessee drawl.

Here he is, describing his outfit's mission:

"We're in the Nat'-See killin' bidness, and bidness is gooood."

Later, when told a meeting and likely firefight was set for a bar in a basement...

"Well, ya don't gotta be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't wanna fight in a basement!"

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh Bandit View Post
                        “Mom, Pirates don’t wear life jackets.”
                        My 3 year old yesterday on a family boat ride.
                        lol!

Comment

Speaking of Stonewall Jackson, his statue was in the news last week as Virginia Military Institute resolutely defied Cancel Culture, saying it was not going to remove the former Confederate leader's statue from its place at the school, where he was a teacher before joining the fight to lead the legendary Army of Northern Virginia.

I was interested to learn that he earned his "Stonewall" nickname by his unit's fighting character during the First Battle of Bull Run as Gen. Bernard Bee exclaimed:
                          "There stands Jackson like a stone wall -- rally round the Virginians!"

In a speech to the VMI cadets before the war, in March of 1861 he said the following:
                          "The time for war has not yet come, but it will and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."

"The only true rule for cavalry is to follow the enemy as long as he retreats."

"To move swiftly, strike vigorously and secure all the fruits of victory is the secret of a successful war."

"Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time."

"I like liquor -- its taste and its effects -- and that is just the reason that I never drink it."

Jackson's last words, on May 10, 1863, dying as the result of a battle wound that took his left arm were:

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."

Edit: here's a link for more info: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson
                          Last edited by tradtiger; 08-09-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

“Well now apologies are cheap but your mother’s a collector. She likes holding onto ‘em.”

Comment

“That John Denver is full of sh$t man”
                              Lloyd Christmas, Dumb and Dumber

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                                “That John Denver is full of sh$t man”
                                Lloyd Christmas, Dumb and Dumber
                                Haha. Finally some one on my level! [emoji1787][emoji14]

Comment

Working...
                                X