Just bought ranch near Stephenville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought ranch near Stephenville

So I just purchased a 30ac ranch with about 2/3 deemed wildlife. So I'm not planning to hunt the property. We see several does and young babies running around all the time. Is there a need to cull any? Just leave them to grow and in several years take a buck? I do actually hunt on a lease separate from our ranch?

Congrats on your place!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      Congrats on your place!
      Thanks. The previous didn't do a very good job or taking care of the out buildings. So, we've been busy. lol

Comment

There is ALWAYS work to be done!! LOL! Thing is it is for your own place & so satisfying to see it come together!

Comment

I think the easiest way to come up with a gameplan for herd management will be to determine whats all out there. Put up some cameras on feeders or hand corn and start getting an idea of what bucks are out there, the number of deer you have, and get an estimate on buck/doe ratio. This info will help you decide what if anything should be shot.

Comment

Your not going to be able manage your deer herd on that few of acres. You need to keep your doe's and hopefully a trophy buck will cruise by during the rut.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Your not going to be able manage your deer herd on that few of acres. You need to keep your doe's and hopefully a trophy buck will cruise by during the rut.
              Probably the best way. Also depends on surrounding properties. I live in stephenville and know a lot of people there. Let me know if you ever need any help.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
                I think the easiest way to come up with a gameplan for herd management will be to determine whats all out there. Put up some cameras on feeders or hand corn and start getting an idea of what bucks are out there, the number of deer you have, and get an estimate on buck/doe ratio. This info will help you decide what if anything should be shot.
                Thanks. I'm setting up game cams this week and I was wanting to add a protein feeder just to help them be healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  Yea, that's why I'm not really planning on hunting this, unless I just need to due to ratio or population control.

I have trapped two coons already.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                    Probably the best way. Also depends on surrounding properties. I live in stephenville and know a lot of people there. Let me know if you ever need any help.
                    Thank you. Will do.

Comment

Hard to manage anything that small.

Comment

I live on 26 acres. I will not see a single buck on the property from November- September. But the month of October I'll see several different bucks in broad daylight. I agree with the idea of let em be, and watch for the cruising trophy buck.

Comment

I think you will pull in alot of the surrounding properties deer if you consistently feed corn and protein year round. Pic your best area, and build a large feed pen to keep the hogs out.

Deer will come and go from your property, but you want your place to be the go-to spot for all the deer in the area. Draw a 640 acre circle around your place, and that is probably the area you are mainly drawing deer in from. During the rut - that certainly expands, but you never know what will jump the fence. I would not kill any does.

Comment

Working...
                          X