Finally drawn for JD Murphree alligator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally drawn for JD Murphree alligator

So with 14 preference points my son and I finally got drawn for this hunt.
    Any help, suggestions, or advice from those who have been there is appreciated

Congrats on the draw. Looks like I have a ways to go (6PPs)

No help catching one but there are several on here that will chime in with advice

Comment

I copy and pasted this from another gator thread I posted on a couple years ago, but this should cover alot of it.:

I have been doing it for about the past 10 years on my own and usually get 25-35 tags each year. First thing you need is bait, and you need it to have some scent. I usually got to Walmart or whatever grocery store and buy a bag of the frozen chicken quarters. I also pick up a couple containers of chicken livers. I buy a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that snaps on and stays good. About 2 days before I plan on setting lines, I pour the quarters and livers into the bucket, close the lid and let it sit outside. Fair warning, it is going to stink pretty bad when you go to bait your hooks. You're also going to want to have some rubber gloves because you don't want that stuff getting on you.

I order my line and hooks from netsandmore.com I usually go with a 12/0 hook and 900-1100 lb line. If you can find someone who has bamboo in their backyard go cut some sturdy pieces and I usually tie a heavy duty clothes pin hanging from the end of the bamboo about 6 inches.

When you set the line, put the bamboo in at about 60 degree angle and then clip the clip onto the line and adjust the line up and down til your bait is sitting 20-30 inches above the water. I tie off the baited line to a nearby tree or if I don't have that, I use a t-post knocked into the ground. I usually use 25-35 feet of line, you want to adjust that accordingly from any type of trees, roots, pilings, structure, etc. that might be nearby that the gator could get tangled in. You don't want it so short though that the gator can get good leverage on the line and pull it out or break it.

If I have the option to go out a day, or even better night, before, I will go out and try and actually locate a big alligator. If I find one then I try and set it near where he was. If I can't find one then I look for a big slide on the bank, or a portion of the bank that the grass is all matted down or there is bare mud with gator prints.

Don't be discouraged if you don't see a big one, just look for the signs and if you find them, set there. I'd say 90% of the gators I kill that are 9'6" plus, I never actually lay eyes on until I have them on the line. Just like a big old buck, a big old alligator is almost completely nocturnal.

Comment

There's a couple other threads posted last week or so by guys who also drew. Lots of info and LOTS of gators on that unit. Coupled with low hunt days the last 2 years, it shouldn't be a problem.

I still dont have a grasp on the preference point deal. My wife and I drew last year with 7 or 8. We hunted with a group of 4 that had 0 and I know 2 different pairs that drew twice in 5 years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Great info. Thanks!

Comment

Good luck to everyone one that drew. I got lucky my first time drawing but Harvey cancelled the hunt. I've put in ever since with no luck.

Comment

Working...
            X