Encore questions and sbr rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encore questions and sbr rules

Can I put a rifle stock on my pistol frame? It was mentioned to just buy a tc encore and then be able to barrel swap and I wrote it off initially but after more thought it may be worth considering.

So I already have an encore pistol frame, 15" .308 barrel, and a 15" .22lr barrel. So could I just scrap this pistol stock, put a rifle stock on it and then sbr the frame?
    Then buy the muzzle loader barrel I was wanting as well to run on this same frame? Would that all be kosher and work?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Yes

Comment

I think the feds frown on mix and match pistol and rifle, but don’t quote me on that.

But......if you need a .50 cal. muzzleloader barrel for that Encore, I’m your huckleberry !

Comment

Get the Tax Stamp before buying the stock.

Also go to the ATF website and read the regulations so you don't create a single shot firearm that can result in felony charges.

Comment

My understanding is it is how the frame was purchased (rifle frame or pistol frame) I bought a rifle registered as a rifle later I bought just a frame and registered it as a pistol. Mixing frames and rifle/pistol barrels and rifle/pistol stocks could cause a problem with the Feds.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
            My understanding is it is how the frame was purchased (rifle frame or pistol frame) I bought a rifle registered as a rifle later I bought just a frame and registered it as a pistol. Mixing frames and rifle/pistol barrels and rifle/pistol stocks could cause a problem with the Feds.
            First off you didn't register anything, there is no gun registration. It is not what you list on the 4473, it's what the firearm was listed as in the Manufacturers book when it is made that matters. FFLs make this mistake all the time. Your frame should have been listed as "Other" on your 4473 which entitles you to build it as a Pistol or Rifle. You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but building a rifle into a pistol is prohibited.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Basically, the Feds frown upon you taking something not concealable (rifle) and turning it into something concealable (pistol).

They are fine with you taking something concealable (pistol) & making it way less concealable (rifle).

Comment

Yep, so looking at filling out the SBR form 1 eform now. For manufacturer address they don't list the full street address or the zipcode, if I exclude that since it is not on the firearm doens't matter does it?

Comment

There's a letter from the ATF about pistol to rifle. I believe January 2020.

You can make a pistol into a rifle and don't need a Form 1. It does have to meet the 16" barrel length and 26" overall length.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                    There's a letter from the ATF about pistol to rifle. I believe January 2020.

You can make a pistol into a rifle and don't need a Form 1. It does have to meet the 16" barrel length and 26" overall length.
                    I am going to get my .308 pistol barrel threaded and leave it at 15". So will have to sbr it to be legal. Will fill out the form 1 online and pay them the $200 dollars next week then order a rifle stock in about a month and will be ready to roll.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                      First off you didn't register anything, there is no gun registration. It is not what you list on the 4473, it's what the firearm was listed as in the Manufacturers book when it is made that matters. FFLs make this mistake all the time. Your frame should have been listed as "Other" on your 4473 which entitles you to build it as a Pistol or Rifle. You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but building a rifle into a pistol is prohibited.

You are correct I didn’t register anything just filled out a federal document with my name and a traceable manufacturers serial number.Why couldn’t you just list it as a pistol instead of other?

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        You are correct I didn’t register anything just filled out a federal document with my name and a traceable manufacturers serial number.Why couldn’t you just list it as a pistol instead of other?
                        Because it's not what the ATF instructs you to do on the 4473 instructions.

Page 5 Section C Question 24 answers how receivers are to be treated, which is as "Other" on the 4473 and the Buyer must be 21 years of age because it can be made into a pistol.

I don't disagree that it's a backdoor registration, but it's a poor one at that. There is no digital database that they can reference. If the Gun Store burns down, those records are gone forever as it's only kept on the 4473. You can still manufacture your own firearms and have 0 reporting requirements to the federal government.

Comment

Working...
                        X