Rookie LEO runs from gunfight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
    Oh yeah, wouldn’t wanna leave the smoke eaters out of the thread. I’m sure things get down right hard when the lights go out in the shower, when someone accidentally trips over the massage chair cord and unplugs it or when someone else beats your high score on call of duty. I’d wanna run away too once I came to the realization that rain can do my job.

Lmfao

Comment

Yep, happens in the military as well.

I had one sergeant who could PT with the best of them, and was a hard-charger in training, crying crocodile tears in my office begging not to be sent “outside the wire”.

Comment

Correctional officer is on top of the list

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          We recently lost about 40 officers of 127 in a little over two years and with it about 800 years of experience.

We are now facing what most other employers are facing in today’s job market including in the private sector. There has always been a generation gap but this one seems to be different.

When I started so many years ago, we wore our hair different, we listened to different music, we hung out at different places and so on. It was obvious that we did not exactly fit me in with the older guys. The older and more experienced officers did not like us rushing into things getting them involved when they would rather sit back and only get involved in any serious issues. For the most part it has always been like that. We all shared the common feelings of wanting to be police officers even though we saw the world through different eyes.

Now.... not so much.

We have some very good young officers. As you say, the tough part is finding them. It used to be that almost all rookie officers wanted to ride the night and evening shifts. They wanted to work the weekends to be involved in the fights, the chases, run with lights and siren and act like kids in a candy store. Now (and I am not exaggerating) the day that many new officers get cut loose from training they put in a letter to go to day shift and want weekends off and get frustrated when they don’t get it. It is hard for me to grasp the concept of wanting to be a police officer yet seeming want no part in the job.

Again, we have some dedicated and very good young officers that are every bit as enthusiastic as we were so long ago, completely inexperienced but can’t wait to get into the fight.... it is harder and harder to find them.

Maybe it is time......
          Current selection process is running some of those guys your looking for off...

Comment

How about the 27 year old still living at home with his parents? He needed to go andnil glad the Sgt took care if it.

Comment

Oh yeah, wouldn’t wanna leave the smoke eaters out of the thread. I’m sure things get down right hard when the lights go out in the shower, when someone accidentally trips over the massage chair cord and unplugs it or when someone else beats your high score on call of duty. I’d wanna run away too once I came to the realization that rain can do my job.
              Not me. I don't work for Frisco.

Comment

Everyone wants to be a lion until it’s time to do lion sh*t.

Glad they were fired. Won’t put up with that crap. They needed to be taken off the street.

Nothing worse than being in a fight and your cover is just standing there letting you get your *** kicked.
                You left out the ace beating before they turned in the uniform

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My middle boy is a cop. I have to talk to talk to him everyday, just so I know he is OK.
                  Don't know how you LEO's do it! Prayers for you guys EVERYDAY.
                  Thank you.

Comment

The town I grew up in had some officers that were not really cut out for serious law enforcement work. They were good at writing speeding tickets, not much more. For a while there, some locals it turns out, decided to rob some local places, armed with shotguns. I think they hit the HEB first, shot up the store, shooting displays ect. Did not actually shoot at anyone. A girl I knew back then worked at HEB, she said she was sure she recognized one of the guys. Well when the call of a armed robbery came in at the local PD, they all too off to the other side of town, claiming that they also got a call for a senior citizen having a heart attack. So all seven of them took off way out of town the other way away from HEB, which was only 1/2 mile or so from the police station.
                    A week later the one bank in town right across from the HEB got robbed by two guys with shotguns. Again the police all took off out of town the other way, to a call for a senior citizen having a heart attack. But not all left for the heart attack, some stayed at the police station, because they claimed someone had let the air out of their tires. So instead of grabbing guns and ammo and running down the road to the bank, they just stayed at the police station.
                    Eventually the guys were caught, turned out they lived back behind HEB. When they robbed HEB, they left tracks across the plowed field behind HEB and a trail of bills. The foot prints and trail of money went straight to a small poor neighborhood on the other side of the field behind HEB. I would guess the FBI and or the sheriffs department came in and helped figure that one out and arrested those two.
                    Our local law enforcement back then was a bit of a joke, those two armed robberies proved it. Nobody got fired over either of the events that took place, when either armed robbery call happened.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-08-2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      Contractors too. When the Taco Truck pulls onto a job site, the young guys run to Panera Bread and get some Broccoli Cheese soup, while us veterans get the Mystery Meat Taco Deluxe. They just don't make guys like they used to.
                      I found this hilarious, thx

Comment

Alot of issues such as these could be solved with a more stringent selection and training process.
                        There is a reason special forces units are selective by nature.

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
                          Alot of issues such as these could be solved with a more stringent selection and training process.
                          There is a reason special forces units are selective by nature.
                          its a catch 22. more and more departments are reducing requirements right now just to broaden the applicant pool. required college hours are being reduced, less time on the job required for lateral transfers, more emphasis on military experience are a few.

we have lost a bunch of guys over the last 2-3 years, for various reasons, and are about 9-10 guys short on a 90 man department, may not sound like much but when you figure that most of the holes are in patrol, thats 8-9 spots missing out of 40-45. we have had to rotate veteran guys out of specialized units and even just implemented a hybrid 10/12hr shift to help, and its not really helping.

people just dont want to be cops these days. i cant even count the number of rookies we have had come through over the last 5, 6, 7 years or so that cant make it past their first adrenaline dump.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            its a catch 22. more and more departments are reducing requirements right now just to broaden the applicant pool. required college hours are being reduced, less time on the job required for lateral transfers, more emphasis on military experience are a few.

we have lost a bunch of guys over the last 2-3 years, for various reasons, and are about 9-10 guys short on a 90 man department, may not sound like much but when you figure that most of the holes are in patrol, thats 8-9 spots missing out of 40-45. we have had to rotate veteran guys out of specialized units and even just implemented a hybrid 10/12hr shift to help, and its not really helping.

people just dont want to be cops these days. i cant even count the number of rookies we have had come through over the last 5, 6, 7 years or so that cant make it past their first adrenaline dump.
                            That's a tough one for sure

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                              I would probably run too.
                              I'm assuming you left off the CM in your handle.

Comment

My 17 year old wants to be a cop and would love to go on a ride a long if someone can help. We are in a Mansfield, but could go somewhere on the DFW.

Comment

Working...
                                X