Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside
Default High Fence Forum

Has TBH ever considered a HF forum for hunts or pics of animals contained inside HF places?

Just curious
sbushee is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Too many jealous trolls would be there saying how they don’t like it but always look from the outside wishing they were inside
glen is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Casey
Administrator

We don't see the need.
Casey is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
Has TBH ever considered a HF forum for hunts or pics of animals contained inside HF places?

Just curious

Why?... so your bashing of it, could be relegated to one forum and easy to find??
Smart is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

United we stand, divided we fall.
JeffJ is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Why?... so your bashing of it, could be relegated to one forum and easy to find??
Yup. I can think of several, in particular, that physically cannot resist bashing HF'ers. Every time without fail.
BlackHogDown is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Jimbo47
Six Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

How about a low fence area inside a high fence forum?
Jimbo47 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
Boom goes the dynamite
Lol
Fishndude is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I would feel claustrophobic inside a high fence forum. Who would the mods let in? How would you get out if you didn't like it? Too many questions, not enough answers.
Chew is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
lab man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Callahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Lol
lab man is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Cant you just go to your local zoo?
batmaninja is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I don’t have a high fence place and only hunted one several times. One of those times was every year with my kids during Thanksgiving we went to Chaparral TPWD Hunt for does and spikes. Many folks left without seeing a thing. We always had a great time and deer were just as wild as the ones on outside. Kerr same way. Been on two private places same experience. Have you guys that run it down actually ever been? I do believe in property owners rights so if they want a fence I support it
glen is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Radar is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I donít have a high fence place and only hunted one several times. One of those times was every year with my kids during Thanksgiving we went to Chaparral TPWD Hunt for does and spikes. Many folks left without seeing a thing. We always had a great time and deer were just as wild as the ones on outside. Kerr same way. Been on two private places same experience. Have you guys that run it down actually ever been? I do believe in property owners rights so if they want a fence I support it
I would say most have not.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
txhunter007
Eight Point

I dont get the hatred of high fences. It just comes off as pure envy to me.
txhunter007 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter007 View Post
not envy. i grew hunting a property in Sonora that was mostly high fenced. i've been on several corporate hunts that are high fenced and have been skunked. not all places are shooting fish in a barrel.

however, as i've grown up, i see the siloing of herds and land as a net negative for the future. i believe the negatives outweigh the positives.
sectxag06 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Quote:
Maybe for some. For others its that they don't understand it. For others, well, they just need something to be mad about.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Quote:
Iíve never really gotten into the debates that much, but Iím just curious as to what LF hunters would be jealous or envious of. I hunt LF around my house. Thereís some pretty nice deer here and if one of my neighbors killed one of them Iíd be happy for them. I guess not everybody thinks the way I do
drbonner is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

More importantly , who cares. How does another man hunting a high fence place affect you? Exactly.
JLivi1224 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #20
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I donít have a high fence place and only hunted one several times. One of those times was every year with my kids during Thanksgiving we went to Chaparral TPWD Hunt for does and spikes. Many folks left without seeing a thing. We always had a great time and deer were just as wild as the ones on outside. Kerr same way. Been on two private places same experience. Have you guys that run it down actually ever been? I do believe in property owners rights so if they want a fence I support it
I have a buddy with 300 acres high fenced; actually he was high fenced out or in how ever you want to say it. His neighbors all put up fences so he didn't have a choice.

Anyway he has about 20 plus axis and about the same amount of WT. There probably is more but that is all we ever see on camera and in person.
I have sat there multiple times and not seen one axis and few WT.
I also know another person that has 100 acres around his house and he high fenced it just for pets and to see deer not as a lease or anything and he went through and killed all the native deer and replaced with pen raised. 3 years later he thought he had all native deer well didn't 2 native bucks showed up.

I guess my point is it is possible to have a difficult hunt on a high fence especially ones that are thousands of acres. Now a 3 acre pen that is a different discussion.
mastercraftka is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I got on a high fence lease this year in East Texas. Around 5000 acres with 8 of us hunting it.
It is a dream lease for me. Huge stands of virgin hardwood timber, hundreds of acres of food plots and a lot of good deer.

That said , I am getting my butt kicked.
I have been hunting a dandy for the last 6 weeks. I have 3 cell cameras out and have only gotten 2 pictures of him. The other 7 have not gotten even one.

There is another that is a honest giant that they have several pictures of this summer but not one since the acorns started falling.

I have kill hundreds of deer in my long life and have had leases in the hill country and in west Texas that I could kill a deer every time I sat in a stand.

If having a fence around them is supposed to make deer easy to kill, somebody needs to tell the ones on our place

I had kinda lost my fire for hunting deer, they were just one notch up from squirrels but I find myself hard after this deer and he is winning
Name:  135741959 - Copy.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  48.8 KB
Buff is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

How about a bow hunting only section? Got dang rifle hunters, lol.
rtp is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #23
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

I'd be for it. Though I suppose I can typically tell the difference in a low and high fence deer... typically. I've debated the topic on here either, but i'll throw my two cents in.

I'm not against it at all, would be cool to get a chance one day. At the end of the day if the game CANNOT get away because it is physically trapped in a cage (no matter the size) it just takes a lot of the sport out of it to me. Not saying it isn't hard, just not as rewarding...

...TO Me
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Difficulty level isn’t based on a hunt or a weekend, it’s full lifetime. However in all fairness, to show a support of unity amongst hunters - can we get a public land shared stands forum?
d_e_smith is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #25
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Good luck Buff
AntlerCollector is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #26
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

How about a forum for wanna be MODS who all think they have a better way of running TBH

Old 12-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #27
STGS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
I'd be for it. Though I suppose I can typically tell the difference in a low and high fence deer... typically. I've debated the topic on here either, but i'll throw my two cents in.

I'm not against it at all, would be cool to get a chance one day. At the end of the day if the game CANNOT get away because it is physically trapped in a cage (no matter the size) it just takes a lot of the sport out of it to me. Not saying it isn't hard, just not as rewarding...

...TO Me
How can you or anyone else for that matter tell the difference between a low and high fence deer? I am not asking about native vs breeder.... I am scratching my head on this one. Truly interested in how they differ....
STGS is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #28
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Good luck Buff
Thanks
This rain is supposed to let up in the morning around 8:00 am.
I plan to be setting in my climber at 6:00 am as full of hope a kid on Christmas eve that this storm has him laid up and when it quits he will come after some White Oak acorns.
Buff is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #29
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGS View Post
How can you or anyone else for that matter tell the difference between a low and high fence deer? I am not asking about native vs breeder.... I am scratching my head on this one. Truly interested in how they differ....
I knew I should have clarified. Because that's what I meant.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #30
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Quote:
How about a forum for wanna be MODS who all think they have a better way of running TBH

The dude just asked a question out of curiosity. Don't stir the pot.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #31
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

So long as the kill is ethical, the hunter puts the entire animal to use, the landowner doesn't treat its confined wild animals as livestock, and the glorification of a huge rack doesn't lead to those freak 300" bucks, I am good with HF.

I do think a HF group would be good only because the HF debate starts every time someone asks "Was it HF?" At least that question doesn't need to be asked, and the folks who want to complain about HF bucks have to go out of their way to complain.
WItoTX is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
Radar
Ten Point

Buff, I would love to be on a HF lease like you are on now. The buck your after never got that big by being stupid. I can tell you got a lot of respect for that buck and hope you get a shot at him.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #33
Arlington BowHunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel Tx

Every high fence I have hunted has been the hardest hunts I've had. It cracks me up reading all the bashing of high fence places.
Arlington BowHunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #34
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Can we have a HF forum for acreage <150 acres AND/OR breeder buck harvests w/ ear tags?
J.B. is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #35
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

To each their own. Not all high fence hunts are created equal, and some high fence places can be tough. I admit that I find it obnoxious and annoying when I read these threads where you see some genetically engineered freak that someone is bragging about from some ranch where there are 200 trophies on 300 acres and they picked the deer out of a catalog. You see things like “it was tough not taking the shot on this 180-inch 12-point that was in my corn for 30 minutes, but “the guide” said “my buck” would probably show up around 8:30, and he did! That’s not hunting to me, but it’s none of my business how people spend their time and money, or if they’re willing to take credit for “hunting” those deer. All that having been said, I wouldn’t mind the posts about these deer being grouped together so I can avoid them.

Last edited by bullets13; 12-07-2018 at 12:00 PM.
bullets13 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #36
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
The dude just asked a question out of curiosity. Don't stir the pot.

What? I like my suggestion.

I get it. All good.

Sorry OP it wasn't intended to be a jab at you. Lots of us, myself included, have made suggestions over the years.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-07-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #37
bullets13
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington BowHunter View Post
Every high fence I have hunted has been the hardest hunts I've had. It cracks me up reading all the bashing of high fence places.
Youíre not paying enough then.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #38
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

If it wasn't for high fences there wouldn't be Axis, Blackbuck, Fallow, and other exotics running free in Texas.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #39
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:
If it wasn't for high fences there wouldn't be Axis, Blackbuck, Fallow, and other exotics running free in Texas.
i've thought about that as well. i could ultimately live and hunt happily without them.
sectxag06 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #40
bullets13
Ten Point

Quote:
And if it wasnít for exotics running free in Texas, it would be substantially cheaper to find a good west Texas lease
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #41
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
And if it wasnít for exotics running free in Texas, it would be substantially cheaper to find a good west Texas lease
I might ask you then how much less would a lease be in west Texas without random exotics?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #42
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Quote:

...TO Me

Actually, they CAN and DO get out sometimes. This ear tagged buck showed up on our HF place. We have no idea where he came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #43
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

We have an ear tagged doe show up on our low fence place.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #44
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:

...TO Me
I won't disagree but there also people out there that think because we use corn and other bait to lure deer in that takes the sport out of it also and it unethical.
mastercraftka is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #45
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

I don’t believe high fencing is good land stewardship (bad for ecosystems), but there’s not much I can do about it & most people simply don’t care.

The hunting ethics part of it could (& has been) argued for years. No ones really going to change anyone’s mind on that part.
Razrbk89 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #46
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Heard Trump was High Fencing the whole country. So everyone will be hunting HF in the future..
knapper is online now   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #47
Radar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
I donít believe high fencing is good land stewardship (bad for ecosystems), but thereís not much I can do about it & most people simply donít care.

The hunting ethics part of it could (& has been) argued for years. No ones really going to change anyoneís mind on that part.
Same with supplemental feeders
Old 12-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #48
JeffK
Ten Point

Never hunted a HF, but I would think it would be more sport trying to kill a 7.5 year old buck in a hf than a 3.5 year old lf fence deer that comes to a feeder like clockwork.
JeffK is offline   Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #49
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
I donít believe high fencing is good land stewardship (bad for ecosystems), but thereís not much I can do about it & most people simply donít care.

The hunting ethics part of it could (& has been) argued for years. No ones really going to change anyoneís mind on that part.
Any research to support our belief?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #50
Legdog
Pope & Young

How about a forum for left hand shooters who have had a hip replacement and hardly ever hunt anymore?

That would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legdog is online now   Back To The Top
Closed Thread