Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

Default Bah humbug

Weíre at the point in life where we have to many people to buy for at Christmas. Iíve always bought nice gifts for Christmas but now Iím married with 2 kids and itís just too much. Iím torn. I hate buying people crap theyíll never use and refuse to spend the money to get everyone something good. Gonna have to get creative this year. I think next year Iím gonna push for a secret Santa where we draw names or something. Maybe even a Chinese Christmas or something. Rant over. Merry Christmas everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
CEO
Ten Point

Careful. I witnessed a fist fight due to Chinese Christmas once. No alcohol involved either.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

We have a big family so we make jars of salsa, or cookies, or popcorn bags, etc.

You don’t have to spend a bunch of money to give people something from the heart.
HoustonHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Careful. I witnessed a fist fight due to Chinese Christmas once. No alcohol involved either.

Lol bet that was one the family wonít forget.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I feel ya
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Lawhunter
Ten Point

We are at the same point. We are going to just buy for the kids in the family and if they want to do a secret Santa then we will participate. Other than that I don’t anticipate taking out a small loan for gifts.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
We have a big family so we make jars of salsa, or cookies, or popcorn bags, etc.

You donít have to spend a bunch of money to give people something from the heart.

Thatís a pretty good idea

Old 12-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

You donít have to spend a bunch of money to give people something from the heart.

I like youíre style! My wife makes me something goofy and simple every year and itís usually the gift I appreciate the most

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
brysdad
Ten Point

On one side we have two nieces. We get for both of them and they get for both our kids. The other side I have 5 nieces. We drew names on that side this year. We also do white elephant (good gifts) on this side. We end up buying six gifts. Not terrible. Our white elephant is a blast.
brysdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #10
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
We have been doing a Pre Christmas Chinese party at my BILs house for years. I always seem to make people angry. I have no issues stealing from his nearly dead grandmother if she has the nicest present. I never ever open, I always steal. I try to tell em, donít hate tha playa, hate the game...for some reason, they donít understand that Chinese Christmas parties are meant to be ruthless
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #11
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysdad View Post
On one side we have two nieces. We get for both of them and they get for both our kids. The other side I have 5 nieces. We drew names on that side this year. We also do white elephant (good gifts) on this side. We end up buying six gifts. Not terrible. Our white elephant is a blast.
What do you consider good gifts for white elephant? Iím assuming different than what you buy a spouse or your own children.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
slicktree
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Bandera, and Kerr county

I hear ya, honestly I'm getting to a point where I really dont like the holidays. I get to go spend a bunch of money, and I get to go to two different houses I really dont want to go to. I'm not buying for anyone except my 2 kids as long as they enjoy it I'm good though
slicktree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #13
CEO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
We have been doing a Pre Christmas Chinese party at my BILs house for years. I always seem to make people angry. I have no issues stealing from his nearly dead grandmother if she has the nicest present. I never ever open, I always steal. I try to tell em, donít hate tha playa, hate the game...for some reason, they donít understand that Chinese Christmas parties are meant to be ruthless
This was over some cheap picture frame. It was my wife's family when we were still dating and she thought I would be gone after seeing that.

We do white elephant on my mom's side. Nobody has a lot of extra income for the most part. I've done a bucket from Lowe's, a new toilet seat, or something weird I find around the house. My cousin did a saved by the Bell dvd, toilet paper, and a box containing a hammer and a bag of expired tortilla chips. We draw names for the kids.

My dad's side is the opposite, everyone can afford anything they want so we just buy for all the kids.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
Philip-TX
Ten Point

We come up with a charity CPS (Child protective Services), Angle Tree or something local. Everyone brings new donations that we box up and deliver as a family, (kids, grandkids, Grandparents, uncles/aunts.)

Our Christmas is giving to others.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #15
krausejmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Tx

I see people waste so much money on themselves on this site. I enjoy buying a bunch of gifts this time of year
krausejmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #16
TxAg
Pope & Young

Buy gifts for your wife and kids. If someone complains, tough.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #17
nimrod
Ten Point

Hunt In: None

When we all get together we draw names for all Nieces and nephews so I had 3 kids so I drew 3 names and so on and that’s the gifts we bought it always works good that way and if you drew your own kids name you would put it back and draw again
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #18
brysdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
What do you consider good gifts for white elephant? Iím assuming different than what you buy a spouse or your own children.
So, my wife and I generally bring something we would like to have ourselves as opposed to my cousin who brought a can of possum and a talking toilet paper holder last year (this is an honest to God fact of what he brought). Granted it was his first year and he thought it was gag gifts. Our thought process is if itís something we would like to have then itís a good gift. Maybe not something everyone wants but at least something that some people would want.
brysdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 PM   #19
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Kids only
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #20
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

We draw names at Thanksgiving and then do our gift exchange at Christmas. We have a $40 limit and most people stick to that. Everybody buys for the kiddos. Our deal is centered around eating and visiting. We're all overweight, but nobody goes home broke or hungry! LOL
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #21
Leaverrite
Four Point

Hunt In: Cowboy Capital

My wife makes family calendars every year (online Shutterfly) with pictures from the preceding year. Great gift, everyone uses them. Not super cheap, but a good deal.

Played seran wrap ball game at a x-mas party, lots of fun. Load it up with gift cards or money and let it rip. Look it up on the google. Some friends said they use it as a family gift instead of getting everyone a separate present.
Leaverrite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #22
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaverrite View Post
My wife makes family calendars every year (online Shutterfly) with pictures from the preceding year. Great gift, everyone uses them. Not super cheap, but a good deal.

Played seran wrap ball game at a x-mas party, lots of fun. Load it up with gift cards or money and let it rip. Look it up on the google. Some friends said they use it as a family gift instead of getting everyone a separate present.
Looks like fun
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #23
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

It took some years but I figured out how to get around Christmas gifts, I started making it a point to start a spirited political argument at Thanksgiving- no Christmas - problem solved! Everyone makes just about time for July 4th BBQ'.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:58 AM   #24
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

have a get together and have everyone bring something to eat. Presents amongst adults is unnecessary. get all the kids something and enjoy each others company.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 AM   #25
Azzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
It took some years but I figured out how to get around Christmas gifts, I started making it a point to start a spirited political argument at Thanksgiving- no Christmas - problem solved! Everyone makes just about time for July 4th BBQ'.
Genius lol
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #26
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

We just get presents for our parents and that is it. When the brothers, sisters spit out 3 kids each and their kids spit out 3 kids each, no way I am buying for all them. We see the nieces and nephews once a year maybe twice and I do not know half their names so it is parents mine and my wife's parents only that get gifts.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #27
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Quote:

Having same problem as op. Great idea, plus gives the fiancť something to do while I go hunting lol
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Enjoy it as long as you can. We went from 25 folks to 12 in about 3 years. Getting old blows.........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

We do a gift exchange for the adults and its a blast. Each gift can be stole, but only twice. So it makes it interesting.

BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #30
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh_liberty View Post
Weíre at the point in life where we have to many people to buy for at Christmas. Iíve always bought nice gifts for Christmas but now Iím married with 2 kids and itís just too much. Iím torn. I hate buying people crap theyíll never use and refuse to spend the money to get everyone something good. Gonna have to get creative this year. I think next year Iím gonna push for a secret Santa where we draw names or something. Maybe even a Chinese Christmas or something. Rant over. Merry Christmas everyone.

I am sure others have said, but we still buy toys (Sub $25) for nieces and nephews (We have 6 currently), and pick a name out of a hat to buy one nice gift for one other adult. This was after 5 years of me asking to do it this way. Now, everyone gets one really nice gift, and the kids are happy. Still expensive, but sub $300, and knowing all the gifts are good ones.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #31
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I give kids gifts. The rest of us just bring food for a potluck and hang out. It should not create a financial burden
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #32
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Kinney county

Quote:

This is a great Idea. I make pickled okra and pickles as gifts. Its not too expensive.
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #33
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

It's only money. I enjoy giving gifts.

Last edited by stickbowcoop; 12-07-2018 at 09:21 AM.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #34
VinnysquidTX
Six Point

Hunt In: West of Here

We do the same as HoustonHunter mentioned. I have a few jalapeno plants. I pickle the peppers in mason jars. One jar and a link of summer sausage we made usually hits the spot with everyone. Wife makes cinnamon roasted pecans and gives them out too.
VinnysquidTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top