Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
Stick1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman
Default A New Action from APR - Round 2

I said we were working on some other things last week when I posted the carbon fiber barrel stuff. Well, this is one of those things Meet the new APR G2 action.

I posted the info on the APR Hunter action a while back. The quick backstory(if that's even possible with one of my posts) is that we found a suitable, and affordable replacement for factory donor actions for those doing custom builds. Thompson Leh owns the current production for the old Ed Brown 704 action design. We evaluated it, worked with them to make some changes that we felt worked better for our uses, and went in to production. It has been a great platform for hunting based builds, which is what we intended it to be.

We started getting orders for tactical/LR builds on them immediately, along with requests for other features that it didn't currently have. While the Hunter works in this application, it is not a standout choice. We compiled a list of features that made it better in this role and circled back with TL to see if we could do a gen 2 version. Once again, they were awesome to work with and did an outstanding job over the last couple of months helping us get them implemented. This is the result.

APR HUNTER ACTION FEATURES:
- Remington 700 Footprint
- Controlled Round Feed
- Mechanical Ejector
- One Piece bolt
- 8x40 Scope Base Holes
- Tool-less Fire Control Removal
- Accepts any Remington 700 Style Trigger
- Side Bolt-Stop Release
- Oversize Bolt Knob
- Spiral Fluted Bolt
NEW UPGRADES FOR APR GEN II ACTION:
- 1 1/16 x 20 TPI Threads (Now accepts Savage Style Pre-fit Bbls)
- Wire EDM Raceways for more uniform tolerances and smoother Cycling
- Pinned 20 MOA Rail for more secure scope mounting
- Smaller Ejection Port Cut-Out for a More Rigid Action Body
- .062 Firing Pin to accommodate SRP brass
- Full DLC Coating for More Corrosion Protection and Smoother Operation.
- Double Pinned .250 Recoil Lug
Available in standard and magnum short action, and magnum long action configurations.

MSRP is $825

We are running a pre-order sale price of $749 on our website through 1-15-19.

We are really excited about this newest addition and the flexibility it brings. It provides our customers with solid, affordable custom action options for hunting AND tactical builds. There are a ton of great custom actions to build on out there these days, and we use most of them regularly with great satisfaction. However there are not a ton of great choices for the folks trying to build on a custom action in the sub 1k price range. But the good news is there are at least 2 more now, and we expect to see more in the future based on what the industry is doing now.

Thanks for looking
Robert
Alamo Precision Rifles
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Dang Robert...I want one, just don't know what to build.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Any left handed available?
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Dang Robert...I want one, just don't know what to build.
If you don't mind going the pre-fit route, you could build SEVERAL things off of it I'm really looking forward to running some BR case based stuff through one. I think they will feed great with the hybrid CRF setup. I'm thinking a Dasher truck gun is in my future
Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
Any left handed available?
Not on the first run.......but they ARE in the works and NOT far behind
Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
sboudreaux
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Well crap this is gonna cost me some money
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
If you don't mind going the pre-fit route, you could build SEVERAL things off of it I'm really looking forward to running some BR case based stuff through one. I think they will feed great with the hybrid CRF setup. I'm thinking a Dasher truck gun is in my future
Well I like the pinned lug...yeah, guess I could go for broke & go for a switch bbl?? Makes my head spin trying to figure this one out.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Scoobyh
Eight Point

I just seen these yesterday. No long actions with a standard bolt face?
Scoobyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyh View Post
I just seen these yesterday. No long actions with a standard bolt face?
Not at the moment for the G2. If we get enough interest to justify them, we can add them to the lineup pretty quickly. Outside of the odd 6.5-284 request, and an occasional 280AI, we don't get many calls for this style of action aimed towards the heavy builds. We do have the APR Hunter available in that configuration and build quite a few of the standard long action rounds on them.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Webb County

8/40 screws, pinned lug and pinned rail...I like it. What's the lead time on these Robert? Also, do you think there will be an option later for a .470 bolt face in a long action?
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
8/40 screws, pinned lug and pinned rail...I like it. What's the lead time on these Robert? Also, do you think there will be an option later for a .470 bolt face in a long action?
Pre-orders will deliver around the end of January. We plan to keep them as an in-stock item moving forward after that.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

Glad to see APR is expanding, any chance ya'll start building on Tikka actions in the future Robert?
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptine8850 View Post
Glad to see APR is expanding, any chance ya'll start building on Tikka actions in the future Robert?
Thanks Droptine. We've done quite a few Tikkas lately. Just finished up a really neat carbon/carbon build on one that turned out awesome. If you have a donor you want to use, we'd be glad to help.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Webb County

Talked to Jimmie for a few yesterday (hard to beat that guy, super fella). He remembered the 338 y’all built way back for me so we Bs’d about that for a few and I’ll have a copy of my FFL over with orders for at least 2, maybe more, for the January lot. Can’t wait to get my paws on em. If a long action in a standard .470 BF comes available please let us know.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
Talked to Jimmie for a few yesterday (hard to beat that guy, super fella). He remembered the 338 yíall built way back for me so we Bsíd about that for a few and Iíll have a copy of my FFL over with orders for at least 2, maybe more, for the January lot. Canít wait to get my paws on em. If a long action in a standard .470 BF comes available please let us know.
Thanks KCK! We all remember that build, and Jason even commented how he remembers working with you on it and how he enjoyed working with you on that project. I think you are going to like working with these actions. Tenon cuts are dead simple.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

What happened to Legendary Arms Works with this action? They made some fine looking guns but a bunch wouldn't shoot accurately. Did they use crappy barrels? Ed Brown had a great reputation. Has the Winchester style safety been done away with?
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Not on the first run.......but they ARE in the works and NOT far behind
*Tear* Us poor left out lefties.
MitchParker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchParker View Post
*Tear* Us poor left out lefties.
Nooooo!!! Not this time Mitch. You didn't get left out, I promise Your stuff is just more complicated, so it's taking a little longer
Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #19
Stick1
Eight Point

One thing I forgot to mention that is kind of cool about these actions, is that we will have custom sized cocking pieces(how long will that go unnoticed) available that will let you time to your individual trigger at home without having to file or machine anything. I figure a lot of folks will be doing the home build thing with these.

I threw together a kind of simulated home build this morning just for grins. I used a McGowan Savage pre-fit barrel, KRG Bravo Chassis and Trigger Tech Diamond trigger and it turned out awesome. And other than a $30 action wrench and a $15 barrel nut, its something that just about anyone can do at home with common tools in about 30 minutes. I think this will open up some opportunities for guys to do there own thing.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #20
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Could you post a better pic of how much of the lug is cut for the extractor? Any concerns with having uneven lug pressure?

I've been looking for an action to build another for fun LR setup. How do you feel these compare to the other custom actions? I'm particularly interested in timing and bolt lift effort.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #21
Stick1
Eight Point

Here's the "home build" I mentioned. It is on a Bighorn, but the same methods and tooling are required.

On a different note, the Arca rail attachment for the Bravo chassis rocks....
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #22
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiplashTX View Post
Could you post a better pic of how much of the lug is cut for the extractor? Any concerns with having uneven lug pressure?

I've been looking for an action to build another for fun LR setup. How do you feel these compare to the other custom actions? I'm particularly interested in timing and bolt lift effort.

Front of lug is relieved for extractor. Not really concerned with uneven lug pressure as the load is placed on the back of the lugs, where the surfaces are square to the lug seats. It is a time proven design from a strength standpoint, and if anything is actually stronger now with the material added to the opposing lug. Its a 90 degree setup, so bolt lift is pretty light and smooth already. The DLC just adds lubricity to that characteristic. Overall tolerances are significantly tighter than a Remington, and about as tight as you would want to go on an action seeing field use.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #23
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Thanks for the pic. I can see now that the lug is longer than a normal 700 and flexing of the cut lug shouldn't be a concern. I've done a few home builds myself and have a understanding of how a bolt action works. What I'm looking for is a action that is less likely to upset the bag when cycling. When you get a chance, would you mind using a trigger scale and seeing how much force it takes to lift the bolt with the firing pin dropped?
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #24
Stick1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
What happened to Legendary Arms Works with this action? They made some fine looking guns but a bunch wouldn't shoot accurately. Did they use crappy barrels? Ed Brown had a great reputation. Has the Winchester style safety been done away with?
I remember that time frame, and the reported accuracy issues that were popping up. Seems like bedding was a common fix/complaint. I can't say if the action itself played a role or not. I will say, and stated on here before when we launched the Hunter version, that the original action I evaluated was made to the specs as requested by them. It was not one that I would have run based on that evaluation. We worked with the actual manufacturer and re-spec'd the areas of concern and now it will compare favorably with most others out there. One of the areas was the 3 position safety you mention. There were several reasons we pulled away from it. They may still indeed make it for other models, but we did not want it on ours.