Which Car??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Car??

So, I posted on here a while back about buying a car for my 40th birthday. Well, finding a Camaro SS 1LE in the configuration that I like and color that I want is becoming harder by the day. So, here is my next question.

If you had to choose between the 2 cars below, which one and why? Those are the only two I am looking at, so other suggestions are not really in the cards right now.

1. Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE

2. Dodge Challenger Scat Pak

Camaro, without a doubt. They are 2 different animals and the camaro will out handle the dodge every day of the week.

Comment

Camaro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txsurveyor2014 View Post
        Camaro, without a doubt. They are 2 different animals and the camaro will out handle the dodge every day of the week.
        I have actually heard the opposite. I have heard that the Scat Pak suspension and body are stronger and solid. Do you have personal experience with either one?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
          I have actually heard the opposite. I have heard that the Scat Pak suspension and body are stronger and solid. Do you have personal experience with either one?
          I had a 6th gen SS, but not the 1LE package. The camaro will be approximately 500-600 pounds lighter and the 6th gen chassis is extremely stiff, but no experience driving the challenger

Comment

No question the 1LE will smoke the charger on the road course...

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              No question the 1LE will smoke the charger on the road course...
              You had a ZL1, correct? I wish that was in my budget.

Comment

One is a Camaro, the other is a dodge...easy call.

Comment

Neither of those Ford Mustang all day over those picks. All around way better car.

Comment

I dont see where this requires much thought - Camaro

And mentioning Ford is a ridiculous response.

Comment

Coach,

To answer your suspension comments above. The wide body is set up different than a narrow body Scat Pack. So you need to decide on wide body or narrow body.

I had a 2020 Charger HC WB (Both are built on the same mid 90's E-Class frame). The WB Charger had 15% firmer springs, beefier sway bars, and 305 tires. Despite this, it still wasn't built for track duty. It's simply too heavy. While the Scat Pack is lighter (If I recall, around 4,400 lbs), that 100 lbs isn't enough to change handling characteristics. I spent a lot of time at the track with mine, and while it would destroy other cars in the straights, it didn't like going fast on the corners. It was VERY predictable on the corners, and slid the rear out very consistently/smoothly and won't catch you off guard when it happens.

That said, I don't recall what you wanted to do with your car? Carve hill country roads? Go fast in a straight line? Serious track time? The answer to those questions will dictate the car you want.

Also, I know you said Challenger/Camaro, but if your answer is track time, you really need to consider the Mustang in your equation. Parts and add on's are equally available for every car listed, so aftermarket anything you should be able to find.
                      Last edited by WItoTX; 11-09-2021, 02:47 PM. Reason: .

Comment

You had a ZL1, correct? I wish that was in my budget.
                        If you want a car for the twisty's then the SS 1LE is imo one of the best cars you can get for the money...the dodge will be roomier, more comfortable & easier to get in / out of, but it's chassis / suspension is outdated in comparison for the road course. Dodge knows HP & arguably a better option for adding mods for 1/4mi go straight application.

The ZL1 was pretty much designed wheels up for the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          If you want a car for the twisty's then the SS 1LE is imo one of the best cars you can get for the money...the dodge will be roomier, more comfortable & easier to get in / out of, but it's chassis / suspension is outdated in comparison for the road course. Dodge knows HP & arguably a better option for adding mods for 1/4mi go straight application.

The ZL1 was pretty much designed wheels up for the track.
                          How did GM push such a giant motor in a car, with a supercharger, yet only make 650 HP? And why did GM kill the LT5 in the ZR-1???

LOL, I am only giving you a hard time as a Ford guy with a Voodoo. That new 5.5 L Z06 motor is a screamer. I look forward to finally hearing one in person! The new Corvettes are phenomenal at the track.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            I dont see where this requires much thought - Camaro

And mentioning Ford is a ridiculous response.
                            LMAO! If the Camaro is so great why is it being discontinued. Also why is Chevy now copying Ford with a modular V8. Only thing the Camaro has is the track suspension, which most drivers will never push its capabilities everything else about the car is terrible. The layout inside is ugly , you can’t see out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                              LMAO! If the Camaro is so great why is it being discontinued. Also why is Chevy now copying Ford with a modular V8. Only thing the Camaro has is the track suspension, which most drivers will never push its capabilities everything else about the car is terrible. The layout inside is ugly , you can’t see out of it.
                              Looks are personal preference.

But the Camaro is a monster at the track. Everyone and their uncle's sell motor parts for it. Look up the Exorcist Camaro. Absolute monster.

It's being discontinued because GM is owned by the government and GM has a history of discontinuing good products by refusing to invest in them (See the G8, Holden, and the SS).

Comment

Working...
                              X