is a 8 always an 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bama View Post
    Had to have been taken out of context or some miss understanding .
    That's what I was thinking

Comment

Should have added an age into that comment.

Comment

Negative

Comment

Amazing what they can add on at 6.5-8.5
          Even 4.5 6 pointer could end up really knarly in a few yrs. Nutrition matters tho!

Comment

Perhaps that area has a strong gene leaning to 8 pointers.

I have hunted a place that bucks produced 6 points even at old ages. They just didn’t have it in them to grow more main frame points.

Perhaps there is more information that your buddy didn’t share/remember.

Comment

I'd say not to many 8's at 4.5 will be mainframe 10's with good 4's if many make 10 at all, possibly some, but you can move a program fast by killing them and letting the 10 and better mainframe deer get old and be your breeding pool.

Comment

None of our big young 8’s stay slick. Always throw kickers or add g-4s with age. We have a 25 inch wide 8 this year that decided to throw a 6 inch drop at 6 years old. We are giving him another year bc of the drop and huge frame.

Comment

is a 8 always an 8?

Even though many add kickers they stay a main frame 8. Many ranches shoot all deer 5.5 that are 8 points. Why???! Because they have many more deer that are 10-12 points that are more desirable to do the breeding. Will one 8 maybe be a ten in 2 years? Maybe but in the big picture it is not worth that deer breeding when there are better genetics available.
                  It is no different than raising livestock, you want your best bull, ram, etc breeding your females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                    Even though many add kickers they stay a main frame 8. Many ranches shoot all deer 5.5 that are 8 points. Why???! Because they have many more deer that are 10-12 points that are more desirable to do the breeding. Will one 8 maybe be a ten in 2 years? Maybe but in the big picture it is not worth that deer breeding when there are better genetics available.
                    It is no different than raising livestock, you want your best bull, ram, etc breeding your females.

Best comment so far

Comment

Sounds like the biologist worded this the wrong way. Probably meant to talk older/ mature 8s out of the heard to allow younger deer with more points a chance to breed.

Comment

Originally posted by TXDUCKCUTTER View Post
                        I'd say not to many 8's at 4.5 will be mainframe 10's with good 4's if many make 10 at all, possibly some, but you can move a program fast by killing them and letting the 10 and better mainframe deer get old and be your breeding pool.

That’s what it sounds like they’re trying to do.

Comment

We had a 4 year old 100” 8 point grow to a 140” 10 point at 5.
                          Same deer, no question. A lot of mainframe 8s will stay mainframe 8s but we’ve also had mainframe 10s go to big 9s.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

BINGO!

Comment

We look at frame and base our deer off score and not number of points.

Comment

MLD property tells me that they have X amount of deer they have to shoot. When it comes down to a 5 year old 120" 8 point or a 5 year old 120" 10 point most will probably kill the 8 point for management purposes. This is probably idea the biologist is trying to convey. Hard to believe a legit biologist would saw once an 8 always an 8. There are some threads on here that debunk that myth big time.

Comment

Working...
                                X