Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!
Default What to do, what to do?

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 MB. It sits in an MDT chassis. Pushing 2500 rounds through it, most of them 10 rounds at a time in 2 minutes or less. Iím beginning to see a drop off in accuracy and velocity with it. Still plenty good to hunt with, but not to compete with. Looking at options here. First, a rebarrel using a prefit. Would run $400ish plus tooling if I do it myself. Second, buy another predator in 6.5, put the new action in the chassis and the old action in the new factory stock, and have it strictly as a hunting rifle. Third, (and the way Iím leaning) is to get a new RAP in 6mm CM and do the same thing. The recoil, even with a brake or suppressor is just a little much to reliably see hits and misses with the 6.5. Dropping to 6CM reduces that recoil and lets me get the velocities up near 3k with similar BC to the 6.5 I have been shooting at 2650-2700. Only drawback to the 6CM is that Iíd have to start from scratch with the reloading- dies, cases, etc., so another $2-300 there that I wouldnít need to spend with either of the 6.5 options.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

The smart thing to do would be to rebarrel with a better quality barrel. If you buy another Ruger you take a gamble on getting a good one, on the other hand I would probably get a different caliber and spend twice as much money and start all over again. But I get bored with calibers and guns quickly and change things up.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
cblackall
Spike

If you like the platform, and are pushing it that hard on a regular basis, rebarrel it. The quality should be better than factory. It’s the cost of doing business when running the rifle hard shooting competition. Going to 6 CM will just torch a barrel quicker, but if that’s the performance you’re after, it’s a great round.
cblackall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #4
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

I've got Ruger American predator, 6.5 MB, it's a safe queen. Haven't even mounted a scope to it I might could sell. Wanting to buy a thermal

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
I've got Ruger American predator, 6.5 MB, it's a safe queen. Haven't even mounted a scope to it I might could sell. Wanting to buy a thermal

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
If you werenít over 4 hours away......
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
If you werenít over 4 hours away......
I should be able to get it to Spring.
Can't say for sure I can as I hadn't asked my buddy yet

Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top