Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default 2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Another dang good thread in 2018 again and with protein, cottonseed, alfalfa, turkey and coon killing season coming up it's time to start a new one. . Junior is getting antsy once again so here we go!



Post up your pics and stories fellas as usual. Hunts, trail camera pics, LDPs, work weekends, new projects, food, drinks, coons and other varmint carnages are all welcome! The more participation (and last year was a great example) the better the thread. Here's to a bountiful 2019 after a less than stellar 2018 for most of us Angelo area hunters!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
bbqfan5909
Ten Point
 
bbqfan5909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

In, looking forward to another season!
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
arrowsonly88
Ten Point
 
arrowsonly88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Round Rock Texas
Hunt In: Coke county, Concho county, Bastrop county.
Default

Tagged in! Good luck everyone on a New year!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arrowsonly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Gonna try my hand at adding some timed protein feeders to my sets in hoping of adding another attractant to my fall sets. Anybody have one or two for sale because they are changing or getting off a lease, let me know.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Jzoch
Ten Point
 
Jzoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Letís start counting down the days till the 2019 season!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
duckman49
Ten Point
 
duckman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Chambers County
Default

Thanks Smart!!

So who can school me when and what I need to do to make my offseason a productive one?
I hunt a place that's South West of San Angelo I was able to harvest my biggest buck to date and was my first year on the lease.
I would like to attract more deer to my area as well as help with growth. Thanks in advance.

PS. not sure many people on our lease feed protein so take that into consideration.
duckman49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
Jzoch
Ten Point
 
Jzoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman49 View Post
Thanks Smart!!

So who can school me when and what I need to do to make my offseason a productive one?
I hunt a place that's South West of San Angelo I was able to harvest my biggest buck to date and was my first year on the lease.
I would like to attract more deer to my area as well as help with growth. Thanks in advance.

PS. not sure many people on our lease feed protein so take that into consideration.


1. Food
2. Cover
3. Water

I would feed as heavily as you can, especially right now to get the body weight back onto your deer herd before going into growing season. This way your deer arenít using their nutrients, fats and proteins to put more weight back on when it comes to growing time but instead goes into their rack. Another thing is to make your set as comfortable and convenient as possible for you. Anything you didnít like during the season or could make better I would. Then lastly if you have the ability, create a water station. That way deer arenít stressing for water over the heat of the summer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman49 View Post
Thanks Smart!!

So who can school me when and what I need to do to make my offseason a productive one?
I hunt a place that's South West of San Angelo I was able to harvest my biggest buck to date and was my first year on the lease.
I would like to attract more deer to my area as well as help with growth. Thanks in advance.

PS. not sure many people on our lease feed protein so take that into consideration.



Feed, feed, feed your own sets and they will come. On our place....the folks that feed the most are usually the more successful ones. Now sure, there are outliers in everything but as a whole, those of us who feed more than just corn, have water in their pens or nearby and keep up with it all season have a higher success rate. That being said, I had my worst season ever. Really the whole lease did....but competing against mother nature's Lubys this year was a *****.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Mayhem
Pope & Young
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Im ready...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.
Default

I still have one hunt left. I will be taking my daughter on the last weekend of youth season. When we are there I will be filling corn, rice bran, and cottonseed feeders.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Hookem84
Pope & Young
 
Hookem84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: marble falls
Hunt In: Llano county
Default

in
Hookem84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
jakeb03
Ten Point
 
jakeb03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Waco
Hunt In: McLennan, Tom Green, Schliecher, Bosque County
Default

Headed back this weekend for a couple more does, top off feeders, and get everything picked up and squared away for a couple months. Looks like our ranch will be doing some controlled burns in a couple pastures within the next few months.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jakeb03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Had a great 2018 season and ready for a new season to begin. Had my little man help me kick off the off-season feeding with a little cottonseed.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
duckman49
Ten Point
 
duckman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Chambers County
Default

How do yall set up your water totes? gravity fed ?
duckman49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #15
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Wait..... what???? 2018 is over, where did it go, sure did fly by. Luckily we still have a couple months to put down a few more deer but getting ready and already in search of “the buck” for next season.

Get those lease chores done now, it will be 100 before we know it.

Good luck to all!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #16
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman49 View Post
How do yall set up your water totes? gravity fed ?
Yes, water tote gravity fed to a small trough with a float. For me the smaller the trough the better to help with evaporation.
Look back early in last yrs thread and youíll prob see some setups.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #17
duckman49
Ten Point
 
duckman49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mont Belvieu
Hunt In: Chambers County
Default

About how long does a 250 gal tote last during the hot days of summer?
duckman49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman49 View Post
About how long does a 250 gal tote last during the hot days of summer?



275 ga...and it lasts me about a month on a rainless hot summer month....but we do have a high deer pop.



Forgot to add.. This year was a totally different animal with all the rain. My 2 totes per pen lasted from late July to mid November. Weird as heck



Two years ago some of us doubled our tanks per pen. Well worth the extra investment and time per fill... I like a little larger trough as I like to promote more animals using it at one time. Turkey love sitting on the side and drinking from it and most deer that come in go straight to it. My buck I killed two seasons ago spent 2-3 minutes at it before I shot him. Passthrough would have meant a hole in the tote so I had to wait..



Name:  000 Seismic water1.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  194.9 KB

Name:  000 Seismic water.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  184.8 KB




If you can find a blue plastic barrel and a lid band, they make for a very nice cheap trough.



Name:  slacker trough.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  camera view.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  slacker trough1.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  138.1 KB

Last edited by Smart; 01-08-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
sbushee
Ten Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: The Outside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman49 View Post
About how long does a 250 gal tote last during the hot days of summer?
My tote lasted couple of months
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
red-fin
Eight Point
 
red-fin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Hunt In: Duval, Concho Counties
Default

For those of you who are supplying water how far is the nearest water source to your feeder? Just thinking we have quite a few ponds and the river on our place don't know if it's necessary. But if it will help need to do it. Thanks
red-fin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #21
sbushee
Ten Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: The Outside
Default

I will day the rattlesnakes like getting under my tote.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Hoytbowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Hoytbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default

good info, I'm pretty close to windmill water, within a couple 100yards.
Hoytbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #23
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

I look at it this way, If water is further than I can see from my blind then I add a trough. I want everything a deer needs in one spot. Alos when its really hot and dry they will eat more protein and cottonseed when water is immediately available. Like smart said in early season or during the rut when they are running hard the water is as good of an attractant as the feed.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

I let mine go almost dry at one point and now have a large amount of scum/growth in my tanks. Anybody know of anything to use to break it up and wash out besides just water pressure?
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
I let mine go almost dry at one point and now have a large amount of scum/growth in my tanks. Anybody know of anything to use to break it up and wash out besides just water pressure?
Bluestone will clear it up. Palmers has it. Powder you can put in the water will kill the growth but not harm animals. I just put a little in ours every couple months.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Bluestone will clear it up. Palmers has it. Powder you can put in the water will kill the growth but not harm animals. I just put a little in ours every couple months.
Just wondering if it will help breakdown the crap in there now? I usually add stuff to keep it clean but neglected it. It keeps plugging up the line. May have to just haul to camp and spray it out.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #27
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Just wondering if it will help breakdown the crap in there now? I usually add stuff to keep it clean but neglected it. It keeps plugging up the line. May have to just haul to camp and spray it out.
Yeah sounds like you may have to if its bigger build up.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #28
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #29
Jzoch
Ten Point
 
Jzoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?


Donít worry, youíre not the only one!! Itís been that way across West Texas it seems. We still had good numbers but a lot of our target bucks that we know made it were a no show due to the rains. Lots of browse for them to eat even though we went through nearly 40 tons of protein during the offseason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jzoch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #30
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzoch View Post
Donít worry, youíre not the only one!! Itís been that way across West Texas it seems. We still had good numbers but a lot of our target bucks that we know made it were a no show due to the rains. Lots of browse for them to eat even though we went through nearly 40 tons of protein during the offseason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks...that helps some just knowing we were not the only ones! I guess I am spoiled after the 2017 season when I killed Big Boy, shown on my Avatar pic. We also never saw the big Fallows on camera anymore as well.
Attached Images
   
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?



Don't worry....give it 6 months and water problems will be back.. It's an ever-changing phenomena with us. Better to have it and not need it than not have it so we keep filling them up. Plus like Jack said....I like my feedpen to be a full meal deal all in one stop.


Bad year for us.....after two really good seasons. We can only write it off to all the rain creating a smorgasborg of available food. Same thing happened in 2012 in the 7-9" drought breaker. Even right now after the freezes, the 2" we got in Dec has the green winter stuff growing everywhere. We'd get some deer coming in for a few bites of corn and them jump out to go and start foraging on the ground. It was a winter wheat looking green forb...it was under every oak mott and even out in the field under the now brown summer grass. Hell I ad der that would jump in the pen, eat the green on the edges and jump out not even touching corn. It was a losing battle. I picture our mature deer getting up from their beds, walking 50 yards eating to their hearts content, drinking out of a water puddle near by if needed and walking right back to their bedding area..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #32
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Don't worry....give it 6 months and water problems will be back.. It's an ever-changing phenomena with us. Better to have it and not need it than not have it so we keep filling them up. Plus like Jack said....I like my feedpen to be a full meal deal all in one stop.


Bad year for us.....after two really good seasons. We can only write it off to all the rain creating a smorgasborg of available food. Same thing happened in 2012 in the 7-9" drought breaker. Even right now after the freezes, the 2" we got in Dec has the green winter stuff growing everywhere. We'd get some deer coming in for a few bites of corn and them jump out to go and start foraging on the ground. It was a winter wheat looking green forb...it was under every oak mott and even out in the field under the now brown summer grass. Hell I ad der that would jump in the pen, eat the green on the edges and jump out not even touching corn. It was a losing battle. I picture our mature deer getting up from their beds, walking 50 yards eating to their hearts content, drinking out of a water puddle near by if needed and walking right back to their bedding area..
Yep, agree...just too much to eat! This pic was a kill my TBH son made 2 weekends past and this Ole' Buck had just a few teeth left, so it was time.
Attached Images
 
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #33
bk913
Eight Point
 
bk913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Tom Green county
Default

How are you guys filling your tanks, just a pump with an extra tote on hand? I want to look into adding that to a set next year and see if it makes a difference. What’s the best way to control water level in the trough?
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
How are you guys filling your tanks, just a pump with an extra tote on hand? I want to look into adding that to a set next year and see if it makes a difference. What’s the best way to control water level in the trough?

We have 12 totes to fill so we bought a 2" semi clean water pump from harbor freight. Dumps a full tote in 2.5 minutes. We have since upgraded to a tandem trailer, 2 totes on the trailer and two totes per pen.

Humper says yall are #1..

Name:  Water install.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0551.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  128.4 KB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #35
2good2Btru
Six Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Junction
Default

Smart, excuse my ignorance but whatís the deal with the piece of wood and rock in the small troughs?
2good2Btru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #36
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good2Btru View Post
Smart, excuse my ignorance but whatís the deal with the piece of wood and rock in the small troughs?
To allow small animals such as rodents to be able to crawl out of the trough and not drown.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #37
kitban12
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

2020 is coming
kitban12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitban12 View Post
2020 is coming


Have another drink
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #39
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Kuma there is a lot of people in your shoes. I have heard of people wanting to jump leases but I think things will be back to normal soon. This was a historic yr and things were not the norm. We were lucky on our place to still take a few deer but overall the numbers were way down with a lot of deer away since it all started in August. Like I’ve told several people stay this course and it will be a great 2019!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #40
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Changing the subject because water for critters is NO issue for us at Robert Lee this season with all the rain!

1st, thanks for starting a new thread, maybe I can keep up with the responses better now, lol!

At this point, I have one serious question....how did 2018 compare to previous years? This has been a terrible year for us! So much rain and little action at the feeders, too much browse I guess? We have seen a LOT of quail, dove, ducks but little to no predators, hogs and of course...NOT our historical deer population?

Our bow hunters got few opportunities and even less with the one dedicated rifle hunter...me...not by choice but physical limitations in my old age.

I kept seeing good bucks killed on the old thread but we are still wondering what made our opportunities so disappointing this year? We did nothing different, feeding wise but again..all the rain, mud...well, bummer! I'd really like to see anyone who hunts in the Robert Lee, Bronte, Water Valley, Sterling City comment?
Pretty typical across the area in Sterling and Irion Co. We didnt shoot a trophy off our place this year. Kids killed a couple management bucks but overall pretty slow especially at feeders. Some really big deer are getting passes hoping for a better spring. We have one nice buck thats 6 this year we ended up passing just to see what a spring will do. Well find out if it was the right decision or not.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #41
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Kuma there is a lot of people in your shoes. I have heard of people wanting to jump leases but I think things will be back to normal soon. This was a historic yr and things were not the norm. We were lucky on our place to still take a few deer but overall the numbers were way down with a lot of deer away since it all started in August. Like Iíve told several people stay this course and it will be a great 2019!
Yep ive heard several guys say they are looking but im not really sure what they are looking for as it was slow across this part of the world.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #42
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

1/2" of rain last night in Sterling County.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
1/2" of rain last night in Sterling County.



HOARDERS!




I think we got 1/10"
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #44
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
1/2" of rain last night in Sterling County.
Just a drop in the bucket this yr!
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #45
bk913
Eight Point
 
bk913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Tom Green county
Default

Not to get too far off topic but anyone know a place around San Angelo to get into sand bass? Always hunted here but I just moved here and need something to do in the off season. Don't need your honey hole just a lead on a body of water
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #46
Droptine3030
Six Point
 
Droptine3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: San Angelo,Water Valley
Default

Pretty Sure there are not any Sand Bass around here.. Now Largemouth bass yes
Droptine3030 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #47
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default 2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
Not to get too far off topic but anyone know a place around San Angelo to get into sand bass? Always hunted here but I just moved here and need something to do in the off season. Don't need your honey hole just a lead on a body of water


Bke... the locals there call em white bass. So if you are gonna ask around, you might confuse them asking about sand bass.. I had to do the opposite when I moved to North Texas.

Last edited by Smart; 01-15-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #48
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Ivie use to have pretty schools of whites but that was before the water got so low the last 10yrs, I would assume they are still there.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #49
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
275 ga...and it lasts me about a month on a rainless hot summer month....but we do have a high deer pop.



Forgot to add.. This year was a totally different animal with all the rain. My 2 totes per pen lasted from late July to mid November. Weird as heck



Two years ago some of us doubled our tanks per pen. Well worth the extra investment and time per fill... I like a little larger trough as I like to promote more animals using it at one time. Turkey love sitting on the side and drinking from it and most deer that come in go straight to it. My buck I killed two seasons ago spent 2-3 minutes at it before I shot him. Passthrough would have meant a hole in the tote so I had to wait..



Attachment 940987

Attachment 940988




If you can find a blue plastic barrel and a lid band, they make for a very nice cheap trough.



Attachment 940989

Attachment 940990

Attachment 940991

I know itís probably been asked a million times, but where are yíall getting the cages for the cotton seed. Looks to be the ones that the totes come caged in. Is that all they are?
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #50
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
I know itís probably been asked a million times, but where are yíall getting the cages for the cotton seed. Looks to be the ones that the totes come caged in. Is that all they are?



Yes....just strip them down..




Name:  IMG_0606.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  77.9 KB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com