First Canadian Bearhunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Canadian Bearhunt

Heading to Quebec in a couple weeks to chase some bear over bait. This will be my first trip out of country to hunt. I was going to take a rifle but have decided to try it with a stick and string. I got a good case and am trying to figure out what all to take with me and what I can legally take with me.

I am taking Allen wrenches, needle nose pliers spare d-loop material and string wax as a tool kit. Am I missing anything?

Can I take my fixed blade hunting knife? It has accompanied me all over this country and I would hate to have it stolen or confiscated.

Five day hunt, with fishing in the mornings how many and what clothes would you take? (June 1-June6)

How would you carry Binos and Range finder? Checked, Bow case or carry-on?

Have you guys had any issue with getting a bow through customs?

I am sure I will have more questions as it gets closer to D-Day! Thanks guys!

Nobody?

Comment

-You can take your knife. Pack it in your bow case.
      -June weather will be warm. Last 2 hours on stand might get a little chilly, but nothing a good base layer and mid weight jacket won't handle. Take layers so you can put on or take off accordingly.
      -I usually have my optics in my carry-on.
      -Getting thru customs with a bow is not a problem at all. Biggest deal with customs is the lines can be long in general.

Comment

Thanks Samson.

Comment

Pack socks, underwear, etc in bow case. Pack everything sharp in luggage..... broadheads, knives, etc

Comment

I would have a rain suit.
            Also an umbrella.
            Good luck.

Comment

You will need a thermacell if you are going to enjoy your hunt. Pack it in the bow case. Mosquitoes and flies are almost unbearable without one. I took several cartridges because I would burn one at least 8 hours a day. Very important.

Comment

Clothing will all depend on whether or not you will have access to a washer and dryer. Knife should be ok. I’ve taken my fixed blade up there with no issue. When you are asked to declare whether or not you have a weapon I would check the yes box. I’ve been told my numerous Canadian Customs officials that a bow isn’t a weapon but last year our entire group were secondaried because we didn’t declare a weapon. Thermacells, hand warmers and rain gear is a must. Depending on where you are hunting some insulated rubber boots would also be a plus. Weather this time of year is in the 50’s during the day and in the 30’s on the rides in and out so layer up as some have already recommended. Good luck. We’re headed up to Saskatchewan this coming Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys! I will try to update before I go in and once I get service back.

Comment

Ask your outfitter for the essential gear needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X