Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #451
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

We are at the RAC saturday.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #452
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

we are heading to nacona/bowie tomorrow with the 8s and 11s to get rained out saturday and possibly play a 1 day sunday. we were able to throw a team together, team hustle, using 5 older brothers from our 8u team and 4 more from brocks team, for an 11u team, and they both play at the same field so it all worked out well if the rain lets us play. winning teams in each division get customized nacona gloves

good luck fellas
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #453
systemnt
Pope & Young

Good luck to ya'll as well... get those gloves!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #454
jer_james
Pope & Young

Wish we could have joined yall - We are in Grand Prairie for the rain out.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #455
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Nokona gloves are awesome. My father in law bought Brady one 2 years ago and it's his most prized possession.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #456
LWC
Ten Point

My boy's team will be trying to get a Nokona glove as well. Hoping it doesn't rain out.
LWC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #457
jshouse
Pope & Young

We got rained out today but have been told the 11s will play tomorrow in Henrietta, the 8s got canceled but we were able to jump in the 9open bracket so they will play tomorrow too.

The boys are tearing up the pool right now...
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #458
systemnt
Pope & Young

2-0 with a walk off single in second game..
Heading to some park in katy tomorrow...

Meanwhile..in the no-longer-free front parking lot of bbusa... one of the guys that runs the place is having a bad day..
Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #459
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
2-0 with a walk off single in second game..
Heading to some park in katy tomorrow...

Meanwhile..in the no-longer-free front parking lot of bbusa... one of the guys that runs the place is having a bad day..
Is that really at BBUSA? What does Larson drive?lol Them mugs got me last week on the no free parking.
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #460
systemnt
Pope & Young

Thsts not larsens.. but yeh its really bbusa..one of the guys that helps run the place
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #461
cwill
Ten Point

Well another weekend of ball in the books for my 10yo. We played a double header Saturday and Sunday out at cotton ranch. The boys were flat and deflated the entire weekend. I think the fatigue from a long spring has finally set in. One more double header next weekend and he will get a much needed break. On a positive note he continues to swing the bat extremely well and managed 2 dingers in the first game this morning. One was his first grand slam! 13yo will play 3 weekends in a row and then on to gulf shores. Baseball has been a roller coaster, but we sure love it! Hope all the kiddos had a good weekend on the diamond!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #462
Txprowler
Four Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Tx.

My son got a nondisplaced crack in a bone in his hand while making a tag on a kid that didn't slide into home, he tagged the kid in the knee's hard, his mitt flew about 10' off his hand and you could tell he was in instant pain.
Txprowler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #463
systemnt
Pope & Young

Got to the ship.. 15 hours at a ball park dominating other teams..and ran into a really good set of AAA 8 yearolds playing up .. that played us hard and inched us out with a single run in last inning. Little team were monsters on the field with fantastic IQ.... parents not so great..

Tan caught all 5 games today (sans one inning wear i took him out to cool him off).
Played phenominal and got some hits today and finally got a hold of a good one to drop in deep outfield with no one under it for a change.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #464
systemnt
Pope & Young

Bought Tan a cooling vest preparing for bama heat.... and put it to work this weekend.... seems to have worked well.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #465
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txprowler View Post
My son got a nondisplaced crack in a bone in his hand while making a tag on a kid that didn't slide into home, he tagged the kid in the knee's hard, his mitt flew about 10' off his hand and you could tell he was in instant pain.
Prayers for your ball player..
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #466
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
That sucks man, hopefully he gets it healed up quick.

Quote:
Got to the ship.. 15 hours at a ball park dominating other teams..and ran into a really good set of AAA 8 yearolds playing up .. that played us hard and inched us out with a single run in last inning. Little team were monsters on the field with fantastic IQ.... parents not so great..

Tan caught all 5 games today (sans one inning wear i took him out to cool him off).
Played phenominal and got some hits today and finally got a hold of a good one to drop in deep outfield with no one under it for a change.
Ambush by chance?

Our 8s had to play 9open yesterday because of the rain, the 8open division was canceled, the played two majors teams and held their own, losing 7-4 and 6-5, we out hit the first team 8-1 but had 5 outs on the bases 😫

The 11s were thrown together Team Hustle this weekend and had a lot of fun playing all over the field, first game we didn't hit and lost 3-1 and second game we tied a 10majors team that played very well, Brock went 3 up 3 down in the 1st, didn't look like they were very interested in trying to hit him lol, and then we threw some kids that don't pitch much and proceeded to walk 11 kids over the next 4 innings and ended up in a tie 10-10😂👎

Both boys are back at it this weekend too, and once again rain is in the forecast 👎👎
Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #467
jshouse
Pope & Young

Pics

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #468
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
That sucks man, hopefully he gets it healed up quick.

Ambush by chance?

Our 8s had to play 9open yesterday because of the rain, the 8open division was canceled, the played two majors teams and held their own, losing 7-4 and 6-5, we out hit the first team 8-1 but had 5 outs on the bases

The 11s were thrown together Team Hustle this weekend and had a lot of fun playing all over the field, first game we didn't hit and lost 3-1 and second game we tied a 10majors team that played very well, Brock went 3 up 3 down in the 1st, didn't look like they were very interested in trying to hit him lol, and then we threw some kids that don't pitch much and proceeded to walk 11 kids over the next 4 innings and ended up in a tie 10-10

Both boys are back at it this weekend too, and once again rain is in the forecast
Boombah Blacksox.. really good little team.. parents need an over haul.. but the kids were salty and played really well together.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #469
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Boombah Blacksox.. really good little team.. parents need an over haul.. but the kids were salty and played really well together.
Gotcha, we haven't played them, but sounds like that Ambush team we've played a few times.

If some of you remember we were on live streaming our game against them in Houston last year when we came back and won with no time left and all hell broke loose after the game haha

Last edited by jshouse; 05-20-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #470
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Any 6u kids now looking for a team in north dallas ( wylie )
Playing 7u this fall...team has a solid core ( won the Rockwall select league )
Non Dad head coach..
Let me know
knapper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #471
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

jshouse - that kid on the mound has some good form for his age. Has he been working with a pitching coach?

Our 14U team knocked off a majors level team yesterday on a close one. However, we turned around & took a beaten by another good team. We struggle with pitching depth. Too many walks & loading bases & then a hit damages us. Saw some good baseball.
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #472
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
jshouse - that kid on the mound has some good form for his age. Has he been working with a pitching coach?

Our 14U team knocked off a majors level team yesterday on a close one. However, we turned around & took a beaten by another good team. We struggle with pitching depth. Too many walks & loading bases & then a hit damages us. Saw some good baseball.
He has had to bounce around bit just due to schedules changing, he got a lot working with Mason Englert over the winter and has been to Linty Ingram at ASB a handful of times this spring. I am currently looking for someone because Linty is so hard to get in with. I've heard really good feedback on Chris Salerno in Forney but he's hard to get a spot with as well.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #473
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
He has had to bounce around bit just due to schedules changing, he got a lot working with Mason Englert over the winter and has been to Linty Ingram at ASB a handful of times this spring. I am currently looking for someone because Linty is so hard to get in with. I've heard really good feedback on Chris Salerno in Forney but he's hard to get a spot with as well.
Oh ok. Looks like he uses his body well with weight shift & timing of glove/hand separation. Many kids are more arm & almost over top at front foot land.
In the Tyler area we donít have as many options as probably your area. D-bats in Tyler is where I may have my son work with some pitching
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #474
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Prayers for a speedy recovery!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #475
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:

Great day of ball for you guys, but man do they not have any other catchers? Catching 5 games in a day is a great way to get a youngun hurt. I sure wouldn't let him throw at practice this week if it were my boy.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #476
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Great day of ball for you guys, but man do they not have any other catchers? Catching 5 games in a day is a great way to get a youngun hurt. I sure wouldn't let him throw at practice this week if it were my boy.
We do... but..they lack blocking skills...like,any.. their great fielders..just not that level of crazy needed behind the plate....and hes a wall...
Trust me i watch him like a hawk.. i was more concerned with him overheating..but cooling rags and that vest did the trick there.

He threw down to 2nd 7 times over the day (not including at inning starts..)..
found it easier to get them comfortable stealing then pick them at 3rd.

He was fine..we had hour and half rest between each game..which was nice.
No practice till wednesday..and hes not throwing at it.. do fielding drills to a bucket.

We will be working his backups.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #477
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
We do... but..they lack blocking skills...like,any.. their great fielders..just not that level of crazy needed behind the plate....and hes a wall...
Trust me i watch him like a hawk.. i was more concerned with him overheating..but cooling rags and that vest did the trick there.

He threw down to 2nd 7 times over the day (not including at inning starts..)..
found it easier to get them comfortable stealing then pick them at 3rd.

He was fine..we had hour and half rest between each game..which was nice.
No practice till wednesday..and hes not throwing at it.. do fielding drills to a bucket.

We will be working his backups.
Good to hear. I had the same kind of catcher at that age and he was also a strike thrower on the mound. You couldn't beat him and make him leave his catcher position on them long Sundays. LOL He got used way too much in both positions and I didn't know any better at the time and did not stop the coaches from doing it. He's never had any arm trouble, that he's let me know about, but I can tell you his arm strength is severely lacking now at 13 and I just can't help but wonder if he damaged it when he was 9,10,11. It's just not worth it to win a youth ballgame. Also what is it doing to their knees, hips, and ankles that may not show up until later? I guess I worry too much, but the reality is that they WILL NOT let you know something is bothering them before it's too late in some cases.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #478
mr. buck
Four Point

edit

Last edited by mr. buck; 05-20-2019 at 11:43 PM.
mr. buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #479
jshouse
Pope & Young

both boys playing this weekend, the 8s are playing 9aa in mckinney at 8a and 945a and then the 11s play in melissa at 3p and 445p....long day of baseball. might be able to work in a hog hunt after the last game at one of my spots though so the boys will be pumped.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #480
systemnt
Pope & Young

We're off..
Good luck this weekend
Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #481
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Select Baseball

This dude came up big with the defense the last two playoff games while his bat struggled a bit. Heís becoming a tough, smart, ballplayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #482
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

First tournament this weekend for Goldthwaite. Anyone else in the Belton tournament for 9U?
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #483
cwill
Ten Point

My 10 plays his last tournament this weekend at premier and the 13 will be at BBUSA. 3 in a row for the 13yo then off to gulf shores. It's been a great spring for both boys so far so hopefully they finish strong! Good luck to all this weekend!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #484
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
This dude came up big with the defense the last two playoff games while his bat struggled a bit. Heís becoming a tough, smart, ballplayer.

Love that smile! Attaboy!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #485
systemnt
Pope & Young

Great stuff Dale! Congrats to the young man.. well done Dad.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #486
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #487
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Select Baseball

We skipped out on select ball this Spring, Played Rec league in NRH and toyed with the opposition with really young but talented players. Hagen had a great year and we're headed into All-Stars this weekend in Colleyville. Then its a new road into select kid pitch!

Still waiting on the championship rings to be delivered. With one down for the season he and company have a shot at five more as we are playing in tournaments five of the next six weekends!

Last edited by Chad C; 05-24-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #488
systemnt
Pope & Young

Go get em!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #489
seeing reds
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad

Shameless brag alert:

Last weekend my son had 2 homers. He had been out with an injury until 2 weeks ago. He has quickly found his rhythm though.

14U

Homer Saturday

Grandslam on Sunday
seeing reds is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #490
systemnt
Pope & Young

Those were pretty!
Well done!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #491
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing reds View Post
Shameless brag alert:

Last weekend my son had 2 homers. He had been out with an injury until 2 weeks ago. He has quickly found his rhythm though.

14U

Homer Saturday
May 24, 2019 - YouTube

Grandslam on Sunday
May 24, 2019 - YouTube
Awesome
Old 05-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #492
cwill
Ten Point

Bombs! Congrats to your boy!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #493
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Thanks yíall, Iím super proud of him. Mostly Iím proud of how well he thinks the game, and takes coaching from others.

Seein Reds, that is awesome stuff, I canít wait to see my son leave the yard the first time.

Congrats to all the young dirtbags this far, and I hope they all tear it up the rest of the way.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #494
mr. buck
Four Point

our 8U boys won their first tourney together last week taking the Westbury Summer Kick-off. Lots of fun and thanks to Westbury for staging a wonderful event. Back at it in the AM at First Colony Little League, step up in competition should be a great test.
mr. buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #495
systemnt
Pope & Young

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 PM   #496
jshouse
Pope & Young

Both boys went 2-0 today, playing some pretty good baseball, back at it again at 8am with the 11s...
Old 05-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #497
systemnt
Pope & Young

Great job! Finish em tomorrow!
8am seeds are a mixed blessing... cooler temps..but still early..and makes for a long Sunday if all goes well
Old 05-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #498
jshouse
Pope & Young

Yes sir, the 11s are in a weird tournament though, 4 game guarantee, so we had 4 set pool games and then the 2 and 3 seed play at 530 and then championship at 715 against the 1 seed that got a bye.

The 8s ended up with the 2 seed and an 1130 game across town from the 11s.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:19 AM   #499
Tall0
Four Point

Quick question. My son is 10 and needs a new 1st base glove. Big difference between a2000 and youth heart of the hide? Smaller opening for hand needed on hoh or no?

Thanks
Tall0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #500
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall0 View Post
Quick question. My son is 10 and needs a new 1st base glove. Big difference between a2000 and youth heart of the hide? Smaller opening for hand needed on hoh or no?

Thanks

No experience with 1st base mitts here, sorry